SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stillpitpat

to caulk the rangetop/counter gap or not

stillpitpat
4 years ago

My GC is coming Thurs to finish up a couple things, and I am still undecided about whether to caulk this area or not. We started using the range in Dec, and we have already had at least 5 spills into the gap. Once or twice when things have boiled over, once when I was cutting melon and the juice ran into the gap when I lifted the cutting board, and a few other times. My kids try to be careful too but spills do happen. I am leaning toward caulking, but I guess I want to know how much of a pain it will be to scrape and redo if we ever have to have the range pulled out for service. We had our old gas range for 18 years and it never needed to be pulled away from the wall, but I suppose one has to unplug an electrical device for any type of service, so chances are much higher it will happen at some point. Roughly how long would it take to properly scrape caulk off of Corian around 2 sides of a cooktop? Would it damage the Corian (which I know can be fixed)? And how big of a problem is it if there are spills into this gap? I hate the idea that there is melon juice in there, but is that typical? Have people been spilling juices into gaps in their kitchens for time immemorial with no repercussions? We did have a gap in our old kitchen and stuff got spilled, and we never had mice or anything else particularly attracted to that area.

Comments (18)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor