SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caterwallin

Give Liatris ligulistylis a try and see Monarchs galore

caterwallin
4 years ago

We are still finding LOTS of Giant Swallowtails, some Pipevine Swallowtails, and some Black Swallowtails. We had dozens of Monarchs here up to a few weeks ago thanks to the Liatris ligulistylis that we have in the garden. Oh my, since I've been butterfly gardening (2005), I've never seen a plant attract so many nectaring Monarchs! I'm not exaggerating when I say that dozens were on our dozen or so liatris plants at a time, day after day. Thanks to Tony spreading the word and sharing seeds with people, I think people will be seeing lots more Monarch if they plant this. I think that this plant really draws them in to the garden (they're done blooming now though until next year).

I didn't mean for this to be some kind of an advertisement, but I'm trying to help people see more butterflies and to help the numbers to increase. If you try this plant, my thoughts are that you will most likely get as many Monarchs as we have had here. It was beyond amazing! I tried liatris here before but ended up pulling it out because I didn't see the big deal (here anyway) with liatris BUT it wasn't Liatris ligulistylis, it was I think Liatris spicata, which really didn't impress me much (not saying that the LS wouldn't be good at other places though). The LL will be in my garden probably until the day I croak because it's that good.

I don't get on here as often as I'd like because of time constraints, but I learned most of what I know about butterflies on here thanks to some really nice, helpful people like MissSherry. Thank you!

Cathy B.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21