SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
forever_now

Drawers for cookware & dishes, which should be bigger?

Forever Now
4 years ago

Back in December I was looking at buying cabinets. I’d gotten this design from the company I was considering, based on what I’d told them I wanted and their stock cabinets. My DH insisted that he would rather build them himself. He started this spring and we are just installing the island now. He is ready to start on the perimeter cabinets but I am unsure about the two on the back wall between the range and refrigerator. When I was just looking at pre-made cabinets the only options that fit was a 30” drawer base and a 33” pull-out base. With DH custom building them I’m not stuck within these restraints. I planned to use these cabinets for silverware, dishes, drinking glasses, primary cookware, and cooking utensils. Considering I want to use the cabinet by the range for cookware and the one by the fridge for dishes would I be better keeping the one slightly larger size 33” for pots/pans and smaller 30” for dishes or would it be better to split the difference and make them each an equal 31.5”? It’s not a large amount, so don’t know if it would make a difference but he wants me to decide and I have no idea! I laid out my dishes last night and think I could fit them in a 28” drawer, which is about what I imagine the inner dimensions of a 30” drawer would be, I’m less sure about the cookware, I’ve always had them on shelves, I have 4 sizes of skillets, a sauce pan and a small stew pot I use regularly, the rest can be tucked away elsewhere (in the 36” Super Susan or over the fridge).

The original plan for the back wall, I had planned to switch the 33” cabinet to the left by the range:

Comments (30)