SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lkayetwvz5

Starting a new Hosta garden - reverting, tissue culture, health...

lkayetwvz5
4 years ago

I built 120' of picket fence and moved 140+ cu feet of dirt to fill alongside the fence so I could move my ancient 30+ year old hostas and of course buy some new ones.

(Don't know what this is but I broke a shovel trying to divide it this spring.)

Yuck I know but they bloomed nice! I'm afraid I am not very knowledgeable on hostas, more on perennials and roses. There are just too many varieties and they all seem to derive from one or the other. Hence in reading on this forum the past week there are three references to 'reverting' on Brother Stefan, June and Pauls Glory. It also seems if a plant is a 'must have' they are propogated by tissue culture rather than division to satisfy the demand. There seems to be more chance of being not true from these tissue cultures. The only new hosta I bought was Patriot and it never grew and then rotted in all of last years rain.

So on the back of the fence I thought of Krossa Regal for height and uprightness. I wanted a chartreuse/gold and I thought of Dancing Queen but I'm afraid it would appear sickly to me so I looked at Fried Bananas or Fragrant Bouquet but in the real life FB I saw at the nursery yesterday it isn't gold. Also I couldn't detect any fragrance. Might be just me. Also on my list is Waterslide.

Next problem is bugs. My slug bait contains sodium ferris EDTA, it's supposed to be weather resistant but isn't. It doesn't seem to do much but turn into mold. Everyone recommends Slugo Plus but I will have to order it as I can't find it locally. Sowbugs seem to be as much a problem as slugs.

And what about all those hostas in pots in everyone's gardens? They look great but do you dig them in to winter them over? I'm in zone 5.

Appreciate your thoughts!

Comments (8)