SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_460854664

What do I do now?

Daisy
4 years ago

I propagated these a while ago. I had around 8 of them that grew really fast. These are the only ones that have survived. What can I do now to help them succeed and grow? They have roots, but not many healthy ones. Can they succeed if they don't have roots right now?

Comments (7)

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    4 years ago

Introduce them to more light. That will help I think.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

They could, but:

looks like you had them in insufficient light. They are very etiolated. Plants like that are usually weak. I wouldn't do much except give them more light so they grow stronger: stems should be thicker, and sets of leaves much closer together. Once that happens, they could be decapitated and potted into ther own pots. They will grow roots too. They could, possibly, be potted as they are, but spindly growth will stay. So eventual decapitation sound better to me.

So fast growth that is spindly = etioated, is not really what you should want. It may look that they do not grow fast when growing compact, but that is what you want. At that point, they could be transplanted, and most likely wil have roots too.

• socks
    4 years ago

Be sure that dish had holes in the bottom.

• Daisy
    Original Author
    4 years ago

The parent plant is the same way. So I didnt think too much of it.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    4 years ago

Can you post photo of parent plant?

• Daisy
    Original Author
    4 years ago

This was a couple months ago. It has grown taller since this.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    4 years ago

Taller fast is not better for succulents. Taller indicates insufficient light.

There are some succulents that will grow long/tall stems. I can't tell which plant you have.

Good example is xGraptoveria 'Fred Ives'. Even healthy plant will have long stem as it ages. Rosette should be quite compact. Young plants should be more compact. Here are some leaves of xGraptoveria 'Fred Ives' started on a saucer (no soil or water). You can see that plantlets are compact:

Here are few plants potted together in a comunity pot (left) - sorry I don't have sideways photo, but they were short. Stem you can see is the beheaded stem that I planted, and it evetually grew some offsets along it. Right photo shows same pot about 1.5yrs later - they grew long stems, and will be beheaded. But it took more than a year for them to grow that long/tall: