SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
getgoing100_7b_nj

Black fungus under dracaena bark, what to do?

I rescued a large container with four stalks from the equivalent of curbside in my condo bldg. They were potted in coir I think and were falling apart because of what then appeared to be meager root system and fluffy light potting mix combo. One of them was dead and was discarded and the rested repotted by adding substantia amounts of bagged potting mix (stagreen) to some of the coir. They seemed to do well for sometime but slowly started yelowing during winter and took a turn for the worse when I left them in my unheated apartment while away. The neighbors watered it, probably too much, and the Temps dipped to 47 during night. Anyhow, they did not seem to recover despite withholding water. I dug them out to find that they had lost the little roots they had when I rescued them. I also found dark black powdery fungus underneath the bark in at least two of the three. The mid sized was the most affected with only half of top 1/3 of the trunk free of the fungus. The largest had only the lower portions affected. I took the green leafy stems off as cutting and discarded the mid sized trunk. I took off one of the two green leafy stems from the larger one, scraped off the fungus from the bottom portion of the trunk and repotted the trunks separately in coir fiber temporarily, the cuttings allowed to root in water and then everything was planted together in fresh potting mix together. The large trunk with only one remaining leafy step sprouted a new stem a little lower than the previous growth and a few green growths that haven't taken off. Now I see that the large trunk has also developed the blank fungus right upto the top of the trunk. What are my options? Take cuttings of the green leafy stems and discard this trunk as well? That would leave only the smallest trunk and who knows, most likely that would be infected too. Because the fungus develops under the bark, it is harder to detect and treat.

Comment