Gift for 5 Year Old Boy

Suzieque

Hi - We are going to a birthday party for a 5-year old boy that we don't know. The father is an occasional business associate of my husband's; I've met him (the father) only once. We don't know any of the friends. This is an occasion where the father will be honored for us to be there and we are honored to be included. But - we don't know the child or anything about him. And we're not well-versed in 5 year olds in general.

It's not comfortable to ask the father about the child but we really want to take a gift, of course. I think our price range is up to about $30. What are your suggestions about something that an unknown 5 year old would like?

SaveComment22Like
Comments (22)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
watchmelol

My grandson just turned five. He loves jigsaw puzzles (100 pieces) , Junior Lego Sets (age 8-10) and anything to do with Superman or Transformers, especially wearing the costumes for role play.

3 Likes Save     Thanked by Suzieque
nickel_kg

I recommend you go to a store like Target, and look for toys marked for "Ages 5+". Trains, cars and trucks, or dinosaur toys would please most any kid and would be acceptable to parents/grown ups as well. Enjoy looking :-)

Save    
rob333 (zone 7a)

All that watchmelol said, plus books. My son loved all those things and his love for books began long before. A couple of good ones for a five year old?

How I Became a Pirate

and

It's Hard to be Five

1 Like Save     Thanked by Suzieque
Janie

Yep - this grandmother of 6 agrees with Legos and transformer Legos especially! If they're duplicates its no problem, it will be exchanged for a different one but it will still be a great gift.

Olychick

If you can shop Target, you can look online to see what's available at your local store - the toy aisles can be a bit overwhelming. Then get a gift receipt in case it's a duplicate of something he already has.

Paw Patrol is also very big with 5 year olds if they are allowed to watch TV.

These are a few my grandson would have liked at 5:

https://www.target.com/p/lego-city-harvester-transport-60223/-/A-75559061https://www.target.com/p/lego-city-great-vehicles-pickup-caravan-60182/-/A-52694212

https://www.target.com/p/lego-city-great-vehicles-heavy-cargo-transport-60183/-/A-52675153

https://www.target.com/p/paw-patrol-mighty-pups-gift-set-8pc/-/A-76153059

Save     Thanked by Suzieque
share_oh

Was also going to highly recommend Lego's... - an easy return if he already has the set. They are very expensive for the little sets they come in now. Doesn't always look like much of a gift but our gkids always request them and love to collect them.

2 Likes Save     Thanked by Suzieque
quasifish

Another vote for Legos. Attach a gift receipt and you probably can't go wrong! Watchmelol's suggestion of Junior Legos is a good one, I don't think DD was quite up to the task of regular Lego sets at 5. There are any number of Spiderman and Batman Junior Lego sets that look really cool, IMO.

Suzieque

Ok, so far it looks like it's Legos, hands down. Thanks everyone!

Save    
localeater

I just gifted a 5 year old boy this book and he was entranced. He was actually over visiting while his dad fixed my cupboard and I gifted him the one that belonged to my now 17YO son. This is not an ordinary book, the detail is extraordinary.

https://www.amazon.com/Encyclopedia-Prehistorica-Dinosaurs-Definitive-Pop-Up/dp/0763622281

Save    
kathyg_in_mi

Legos for sure! All 7 of my grands (5 girls) love them!

terilyn

We still have a voice changer toy that the boys had that still gets played with. Looks like a megaphone. It’s at least 30 years old! Target and Amazon carry them.

Debby

My grandson is a Transformers nut. Anything Transformers.

drewsmaga

Legos. And by the time they're 8 and 6 it becomes this

4 Likes Save     Thanked by Suzieque
Olychick

Or worse, Drewsmaga!

1 Like Save    
sephia_wa

"It's not comfortable to ask the father about the child..."

Huh? Why not? Of all people, the father would have the best insight to his child and what he likes. Ask him what his son likes, does he collect anything, etc.

More insight than a bunch of people on the Internet.

PRO
Anglophilia

Absolutely LEGO! All 3 grandsons adored LEGO for years - all teens now but still like it.

Suzieque

Sephia, one reason is because we know that the father will insist that we don't need to bring a gift. These are wonderful folks originally from another country than the US and, for some reason, he is greatly honored that we are coming despite barely knowing them. His other guests, mostly family, will be bringing gifts and we want to do so, as well. If we ask the father about what the boy might like, we won't get any answers other than "you don't need to bring a gift".

We don't want to ask him, get that answer, then bring something, anyway; don't want to risk offending.

As far as it being "more insight than a bunch of people on the internet", I've always found people here at the KT to be insightful, helpful, and knowledgeable. As in this case.

5 Likes Save    
sushipup1

I agree about the Legos, but we scored points with a boy the same age once with a remote control car. Big hit.

hounds_x_two

Another vote for Legos. A flashlight is always fun, too.

1 Like Save    
breenthumb

No kids here so I know nothing, but it seems Legos are the modern version of erector sets and Lincoln Logs. Nice, creative.

Save    
Lars

I agree with the remote control car. I collected model cars when I was that age, but my nephew prefers model trucks. I think anything with wheels is good. Another nephew liked model dinosaurs, and I gave him an inflatable one that he especially liked, but you would need to know the child.

I also had Lincoln Logs and built garages for my cars with them. My favorite toys when I was five were dolls, but I had to play with my sister's dolls because I was not allowed to have any of my own.

Save    
matthias_lang

Here's another vote for Legos, even though I had the one weird kid who never cared for them ---nor anything dinosaur, nor TV related toys.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Decorating Guides Room of the Day: A Boy’s Bedroom to Move Through Tween and Teen Years
Reorganizing the space with a new study desk, bed, seating and storage gives him room to grow
Full Story
Decorating Guides This Designer’s Client Was Her 10-Year-Old Son
What do you give a boy with a too-babyish bedroom when he’s approaching double digits? See for yourself
Full Story
Traditional Homes Houzz Tour: A 300-Year-Old Home Adapts to a Modern Family of 7
A new addition adds much-needed square footage to a 1750s home in Massachusetts
Full Story
Fine Landscapes specialize in custom pools & spas, outdoor kitchens, water features, stonework & paving surfaces,... Read More
Fine Landscapes specialize in custom pools & spas, outdoor kitchens, water features, stonework & paving surfaces,... Read More