Diagnosed with high blood pressure and a hear murmur

Anne

Anyone else very shocked by this? i had always had normal blood pressure and no murmur. The doctor sending me to the cardiac doctor scared me sooo much. Great doc and feeling safe, although the “new” murmur scares me

SaveComment24Like1
Comments (24)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
maifleur01

High blood pressure is caused more by the kidneys than any heart problem. Many people have murmurs and their doctors never tell them until they become more evident with age. Sending you to a cardiac doctor is probably just a precaution. Although it is impossible not to worry it is probably just something that should be checked out and may be something that is normal for you.

Save    
graywings123

High blood pressure is caused more by the kidneys

Wow, did not know that. Headed to google.

Save    
marylmi

I have/had high blood pressure but my doctor added a third pill to the mix so it is mostly under control now! I have had a heart murmur for years. they just keep an eye on it .

Save    
susanwv

I’ve had a heart murmur for a good while also, don’t even think about.

Save    
wantoretire_did

After many years of a heart murmur, it turned out to be aortic stenosis. Was watched regularly by a cardiologist for 3 years then had a tissue (animal vs. mechanical) aortic valve replacement. PM me if you want details.

Save    
OklaMoni

Been diagnosed with a heart murmur in 1999. So far, been able to do just about everything I wanted too... no problems from it.

Moni

Save    
mdln

@maifleur, you may be confusing secondary and primary hypertension. Most hypertension is primary.

1 Like Save    
maifleur01

No mdln I am not confusing the two types. You should know that as you age it is more likely that you will develop secondary hypertension as your kidneys work harder to clear your body of things. There is a difference between the people who have had hypertension all of their life and those that develop it.

1 Like Save    
sleeperblues

lol, arguing with a doctor? I guess that's the age of the internet sleuths.

3 Likes Save    
morz8

Anne, DH was shocked to be told high blood pressure. He's always been a few pounds heavier than ideal, but incredibly physically active and blood pressure, cholesterol both almost silly low. In any circumstance or setting. At an annual physical as he was approaching later 60's, his doctor said raise in blood pressure. He takes a little dose of a diuretic (too many letters in the name for me to spell accurately without looking at it ;0)) and it's back to normal. He was enough shocked though, that he now charts his blood pressure, takes it every morning just like brushing his teeth or having his shower. He'd never been sick or taken a medication so something of a 'growing older' change for him to become used to.

I hope yours is as easy to control.

Save    
Zalco/bring back Sophie!

Mdln, thank you for always being so generous with your knowledge.

5 Likes Save    
mdln

4 Likes Save    
mdln

Some murmur information from reliable sources.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/heart-murmurs/symptoms-causes/syc-20373171

Being referred to a cardiologist, imho, is a good idea. It is nice to have an established relationship - before you need them. I see too many patients who first meet a cardiologist when they are being admitted from the emergency department. That is not a good time to decide you don't like them and want a second opinion. Know them before you need them.

3 Likes Save    
blfenton

I've had a heart murmur since I was born and it was watched for a few years. I'm 66 and have been a runner since I was 23 and still run 3 days a week and do a ton of hiking etc etc etc. The only time it was an issue that was watched more closely was when I was pregnant. As soon as kids were born it went down to it's normal murmur noise. Keeping my blood pressure normal is important. My doctors have always told me to never let it control me.

Perhaps it's always been there and the high blood pressure is making it more noticeable.

1 Like Save    
jemdandy

Eating too much salt can raise your blood pressure. Unless you are working very hard and sweating up a storm, a bag of potato chips will load you up with too much salt. Also, watch the labels on many canned foods, especially soups. It shows up in the "sodium" content. I can't eat Campbell's soups on a regular basis due to its high sodium content.

A tip while being measured for blood pressure: Do not talk with anyone. Relax and let your arm (the one with the cuff) go limp. Do not tense any arm muscles that are under the cuff.

Why not talking: Conversing can increase blood pressure reading by 5 points or more. When we humans converse with another, our inhibitors come into play. These little social graces stop us from blurting out everything that comes to mind. It keep us from making some very nasty statements and puts a check our the swear word vocabulary. This personal control is often accomplished without much conscious thought, but when its in operation, conscious or not, it takes an effort and the body goes on alert; Blood pressure rises.

1 Like Save    
Chi

Does anyone else ever get vastly different blood pressure readings based on the machine? When they use the automatic cuffs, my BP is always a little high but when using the manual ones it's always perfect. My cardiologist said not to worry and his manual, highly calibrated one says mine is normal and manual are more accurate.

It's just frustrating to have doctors with automatic cuffs ask if I'm treating my high blood pressure and look at me funny when I say it's normally 30 points lower. :)

1 Like Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

One of the most effective diets for lowering blood pressure is the DASH diet.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/dash-diet/art-20048456

I have a heart murmur too...had an echo done and they determined it was just because my heart was vigorous and that there was no issue with it otherwise. So a murmur is not necessarily an issue.

Save    
sjerin

Mom had a heart murmur all her life, had heart surgery at 85 to replace the valve and a couple of bypasses done, and lived to 97. An awful lot of people have murmurs, but I understand it can be a scary thing to hear.

Chi, I'm convinced the reason I've been on bp meds for twenty years is because my gyn "noticed my pressure was up for the last two appointments," meaning two years.) Now I look back and think, well, duh!! I had breast lumps for awhile there, and was beyond terrified, so every time I went for a check I was waiting with bated breath and a whole lotta fear to see whether there was yet another. It never dawned on me at that time to question the decision.

Save    
blfenton

@sjerin - I was going to "like" your comment but didn't want you to think I liked your situation, What I want to like is your comment about questioning the decision of your doctor. Something we should all do more often.

And just because we've always been on some prescription or other for a long time doesn't mean we shouldn't question it or the dose.

1 Like Save    
joann_fl

I have had a heart murmur for years. Nothing to worry about. Also HBP, on meds

Save    
jemdandy

A proper sized pressure cuff is required for accurate blood pressure (BP) readings. If the cuff is not right-sized, consider its readings as an indicator.

1 Like Save    
Michael

A proper sized pressure cuff is required for accurate blood pressure (BP) readings. If the cuff is not right-sized, consider its readings as an indicator.

They never change a cuff when taking my BP during check-ups.

My last semi-annual cuff reading was 199/99. Hardly an indicator since my actual was 118/72.

Save    
socks

Anne, I know you are upset by this. It is shocking to get a diagnosis you never suspected. But it's good you have found out about both issues, and now you can get whatever treatment will help you. Maybe the doctor will prescribe BP meds. There are many of them, and sometimes a person has to try a couple to get one which works and does not give unwanted side effects. Good for you for taking care of yourself.

Save    
Anne

Thanks everyone. I feel quite confidant in the cardiologist and as several have sai, he said as well that it can be trial and error and nothing to put me in the hospital...

1 Like Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Home Innovations Meet a High-Tech Home That Monitors Itself
Energy vampires have nowhere to hide in this LEED Platinum home, as energy efficient as it is architecturally beautiful
Full Story
California Gardening Consider Avoiding These Plants to Help Keep Your Garden Fire-Safe
Plants that accumulate dead material, are high in oil or have low moisture content in leaves put some homes at risk
Full Story
Life Modern Manners: Smooth Moves for Kids' Visits
For hosting kids or visiting with Junior in tow, we give you a plan to keep stress levels low and fun levels high
Full Story