SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
originalpinkmountain

Bed and breakfast experience anyone?

l pinkmountain
4 years ago

My mom is buried in her home town, and my folks used to have a condo there, and I used to have a cousin there I could stay with. Now all my places to stay for free are gone and I still want to go up to the place I grew up visiting monthly and have deep roots. But its a tourist town and very expensive to stay, particularly in nice weather. Two of the nicer bed and breakfasts are for sale. Got me wondering if maybe hubs and I should think about going into that business. He's retired and my job doesn't pay very well and is getting to be a real PITA. Thinking if I am going to work this hard for little pay I could at least be working for myself. I'm a former camp director so I'm familiar with hosting and feeding the masses, but not sure about how much business acumen it might take to be successful. Hubs is quite handy for maintenance and I can cook and clean and market. But the insurance, tax and paperwork part/accounting seems like would be the real challenge. And whether it would ever even be profitable. Anyone have any experiences to share? I have one friend who does it in Great Britain, but his wife is a doctor so that's the main income source. We would have to make some money to replace my salary if I quit my job, although my salary is not huge. However, we can't afford to take on a money pit. Our plan is to retire up there, but we're not there yet and this might be a way to hasten that and also solve my job issues. At my age, it will be difficult to get a great job working for someone else, somewhere else, when I am in competition with 40 and 50 year olds (I'm 59, have master's degree and not ready to coast into retirement yet but a lot of folks might think so.) I still have a lot of ambition but can't afford to lose a lot of money on a new business venture as I don't have time to make it back. Even if the bed and breakfast didn't pan out, we might still want the house. My aunt and uncle retired to an old family resort which they didn't run as a business but sure worked out well for visiting friends and family.

Comments (26)

• dedtired
    4 years ago

I have no experience with running a B&B. It sounds like a lot of work to me with cooking, cleaning and having to be there all the time to greet guests.

Could you possibly run it as an AirBnB or VRBO? That way you only have to clean between guests and there's be no cooking for you, although most AirBnBs and VRBOs have kitchens. I guess you would have to do substantial renovations, although one I just stayed in had only a microwave, dorm size fridge and coffee maker. Worked out great for us, so if there are restaurants nearby, that could work. Anyway, that's my big idea for you!

• Related Discussions

Bed & Breakfast in VA?

Q

Comments (1)
    We stated a few days at this b and b while visiting williamsburg and found it convenient and comfortable Here is a link that might be useful: the white house
    ...See More

If you were to stay in a Bed and Breakfast

Q

Comments (33)
    thank you all so much for taking the time to post. I have learned alot from you guys. Alot of you mentioned alarm clocks. We have clocks in the rooms, but not alarmed ones. So that's my next purchase. We do have the nice sheets, pillows, cleanliness, etc. I'm glad I mentioned bringing pets. I wanted to see how many of you would want that from a B&B. We have two saint bernards on the premises, and a guest with a dog, would just be mayhem, even if we did have ONE pet-friendly room. My dogs would know there's another dog here, and the other dog would know our dogs are here -- hence, barking, whining. Not fair to other guests. Flamingo - you are so right - can't please everyone! And, if I can do this, ANYONE can. But I think it takes two people and a girl to come in once a week just to clean bathrooms. B&B's seem to attract the nicest people of all ages. I think we found a good niche. Our website is bythebluff.com. Please visit when you get a chance. It would be so wonderful if any of you guys want to come to NY and stay with us!
    ...See More

When Did Bed & Breakfast Places Get To Be...

Q

Comments (14)
    Seems like they've become an "event" or mini vacation place these days. Trying to give something different they command a premium price, but then again considering that the owners seldom own more than one they have to make their living and pay the bills from the one place income. Their taxes, insurance and likely even utilities are higher than if it were a normal "home". And of course to command the prices they can't afford the luxury of ah, I'll dust this weekend and they're probably tied to it. I've thought I'd like to stay at one or two that are more of interest to me. One is a converted lighthouse and you can actually become the lighthouse keeper for the time you're there. Another one is a supposed haunted hotel in a small town I used to travel through often. I remember seeing an old guy on the old fashioned front porch (this place is probably 125+ years old and I joke that he might be one haunting it. There's one or two others I've heard have interesting things about it which could be of interest to me. I'd be interested in staying at one (or more) of them as a destination but for accommodations while traveling, especially when you want a bed, a roof and a shower for the night - leave in the morning - I can't justify the cost. Actually I can often sleep better knowing I paid 1/10th the price!
    ...See More

Anyon experience this? Age 53 - very heavy bleeding

Q

Comments (7)
    To any of you suffering from heavy bleeding, I long ago figured out the culprits and cures - yes, cures. First - here's my YES list, then later, see what to avoid. My YES list: Loads of good-quality Bing cherries, and/or Juice of black cherry concentrate. NOT from toxic plastic containers, rather glass. And the more Viscous it is, the better (i.e. more sticky, slow-to-flow. Also: lots of probiotic yogurt such as Vanilla or Peach Stonyfield. Or Raspberry Lifeway-Kefir. Also: Lysine/smooth type of foods, such as Eggs, yams, yellow oils, veggies, Unsalted soda crackers, sweet/sticky fruits/melons. Also: see my tips on this "flu" site, because alot of those tips may resonate with you and help toward the bleeding issues as well. https://lysine4flu.wordpress.com/ Also: Gabapentin might help (if you can get a doctor to prescribe it). It helps to relax my nerves toward computer(EMF) use, and relieves headaches, so I suspect it can relieve bleeding. My NO list: Heavy exposure to bright lights & EMFs & WIFI & so forth. Hi sodium, citric-acid, citrus, sodium-nitrite, sodium-citrate. Some of these can be hidden inside foods at health stores as well. Spices, raw onion, raw garlic. Some of these can be hidden inside health foods. Stress/chemicals. See my common-sense examples in my above wordpress blog, re: "Arginine vs. lesser arginine". With emphasis on the last italicized paragraph. Hope this helps.
    ...See More
  • bbstx
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

lpink, I used to live in a town with loads of old houses. A fair number of them had been turned into B&Bs. Wow! those people worked hard.

Is there anyone where you currently live that you could talk to who would give you an idea of what it is like and what hidden or unexpected costs you might encounter. Does your state have an agency that helps folks start up a small business?

FWIW, I do not like B&Bs. I find them too intimate. If I want to fuss at DH for leaving the cap off the toothpaste, I do not want the adjacent folks taking his side at breakfast the next morning!

ETA: didn’t we used to have some folks on the Home Decorating Forum who either ran a B&B or rented out their house in the summer? I can’t bring up a name. Maybe tibbrix?

• ccrunneroklahoma
    4 years ago

B & B owners have forums similar to this. Google bed and breakfast forums and spend a few hours reading about their issues. Then try to find an owner and have a conversation about the lifestyle associated with running a B&B.

• llitm
    4 years ago

We often stay at nicer B&B's preferring them to hotels, VRBO's, etc. My impression is that running a better B&B requires a ton of time, maintenance, and extreme attention to detail. In order to receive excellent reviews, which the business will depend upon, every detail needs to be perfect....delicious hot breakfasts (food allergies addressed), decor, comfort level, cleanliness, ambiance. You (or someone) would need to be available 24/7. You would likely require help so hiring and firing would come into play. Having your own business requires attention 100% of the time. Even if you aren't physically doing it, you're thinking about it so it can be difficult to turn off. We always enjoy talking with the B&B owners and learning their stories. For most it is a second career and many seem to thoroughly enjoy it and find it rewarding. Good luck making your decision!

• l pinkmountain
    Original Author
    4 years ago

As a program director I already have to supervise folks, meet the varied needs of customers and pay attention to a lot of details, and the hours are long and I'm always thinking about work. So the change with a B&B would be that I would be working for myself. Not sure that would be an improvement, but a different angle on the same issues.

I'm not crazy about B&B's either, because they do seem kind of expensive for just a room and breakfast, although motels and hotels aren't much more private, especially now days with cheap construction. I think it would depend on the way the place was set up. You definitely wouldn't want your own personal living space to cross over with the guest areas too much. I lived on the grounds of a camp for five years when I was starting out professionally as a camp program director. You are always at work, whether you are working or not. To relax you have to go somewhere else. So I'm not thinking of this as a way to be always on vacation myself, even though I would be living in a vacation area. I see it as a possible second career.

VRBO and Home Away and AirB&B are definitely cutting into these businesses, since the two B&B's that I know of that are for sale are both being sold as private homes and the owners are downsizing into renting rooms or cottages through HomeAway.

I've also been toying with the idea of opening a tea house or having a portable tea catering business. A B&B could serve as a site for that also.

If I knew someone reliable, I would consider buying a place and renting it out when we are not using it, but that would be kind of iffy since we would not be living in the area, it's three hours away. I know there are people who manage rentals for others as a way to make a living, but the split income from something like that wouldn't really end up being the same amount of income I don't think as running a place ourselves on the spot. If we lived even an hour away I would consider it, but not three hours away.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    4 years ago

These businesses have a very high rate of failure and hours of "unpaid" work. Of course, the key answer is the economics... ie how much will it cost to buy it and what income can you expect. As a general rule though, its not an easy business by any means and requires a lot of scut work.

• aprilneverends
    4 years ago

No experience..just to say that I dream of it myself, for me and DH..he'd be much happier..he's great at so many things that important for it, and really enjoys them. We'd live longer and be healthier. I think.

we d be more of "invisible" hosts..

the question is-"where?" because where I want it to be...I need to sell everything we have first..

And-what's with medical insurance? we're so screwed up in this aspect. one just stays chained to his work place. My DH works like a slave..okay money's important..but no money in the world will help you at some point. I already understand it. Very profoundly.

But again..insurance..

Unless we move to where I want us to move..but then..complicated..all the things that he's so great at will partially fall on me-he doesn't speak the language..and will be either too far from services and facilities(not something we can afford) -or-again, we'll have to sell everything we have and maybe things we don't have too))

it's going into totally different way of life. in the big picture, for us-I think would be wiser

but no idea how to practically accomplish it. Either not enough security, or not enough money, or place won't generate enough income,or..

well it's hardly helpful. just to say I guess that I'm thinking similar thoughts for several years already

• Feathers11
    4 years ago

I'm a proponent of making calculated changes in life, and believe climbing out of ruts and challenging ourselves to be keys to successful and healthy aging. So, I'm rooting for you on this one.

Going along with the tea house idea, if this is a touristy area, I would jump on the "destination experiences" that seem to appeal to people. In addition to the tea experience, you could offer a variety of themed activities, visiting artists, musical performances, girls' weekends, and so on. The possibilities are many, and you'd have to get a feel for local resources--artists and small businesses whose services you could partner with to make the B&B appealing as a destination with something extra to add for groups who want to take on an experience together. Booking out to groups of people might be logistically easier to manage, as well, but your marketing would have to be solid.

I would be realistic about finances, and I would also budget for work that I may become physically unable to do myself. Keep an eye on local real estate and keep up with the property's value and potential to sell, if need be.

Overall, I think it would be very hard work, but also fun, challenging, and creative.

• bbstx
    4 years ago

Feathers made some good points and had some really good ideas. Two of the longest lasting B&Bs that I know of both have the capability for wedding receptions and small banquets (corporate dinners, rehearsal dinners, etc).

• l pinkmountain
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Sigh, but those kinds of places are a lot of money up front. I was thinking about maybe three rooms . . . I actually do know of a really cute house restaurant that opened up near my husband's old house. But I'm not really wanting to get into the catering or restaurant business. Maybe an ice cream social, hog roast or make your own pizza party or two, but not so sure about weddings or other parties. There's a meeting/wedding venue for sale there right now, but I'd rather keep it simple. I actually worked somewhere once that had monthly teas, so I might be able to pull that off. And themed weekends for sure. That's where my program director skills would come in. Hubs is Mr. Fix It.

• Feathers11
    4 years ago

Then keep it at a scale you can manage. Fall themed hiking exercursions... reach out to a local artist to see if they'd be interested in offering a painting class...

The "experience" seems to be a selling point these days. I know a woman who developed a successful business around scavenger hunts. Scavenger hunts. And many of her clients are adults.

And I also know that people are busy enough that the process of choosing a destination and coordinating dates and travel is hectic enough. If you offer them something to do as well, you're making it easier on them to stay with you.

• l pinkmountain
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Yes Feathers I just got done driving a bunch of pre-teens around all week doing fun excursions, which is when the thought occurred to me that maybe I could do it for adults and make some money for myself!

• kitasei
    4 years ago

Some ideas: make it a really simple hostel for bikers or hikers. Bunk beds and cots. Tent space? You won’t have to worry about reviews. You are what you are. The other idea is to offer something to the wider community /. A great Sunday brunch, Friday night clam dinners. Whatever. Lastly, research the tax write offs you’ll be able to take advantage of while doing things you would otherwise do for yourself like improvements.

• l pinkmountain
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Interesting Kitasei, that's what a lot of farmers do in Great Britain who live near tourist areas, just offer up tent space in their yard. A lot of folks over there don't seem to mind. There's probably zoning issues to deal with though. But again, I don't see myself as having dozens of guests all the time. Just for the sake of kicking tires and dreaming, here is one property that seems to have potential. I am not ready to jump but this is the kind of thing I was thinking of, or another similar property closer to a town.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/5615-W-Marshville-Dam-Rd-Shelby-MI-49455/106541548_zpid/

It's been weirded up but could probably be unweirded without too much structural work. But some definite money up front. I could even see us having a little store in the basement and maybe tearing down the out buildings and putting a little cottage for ourselves out there. On the flip side, I think a place out in the country might not be that popular, since it doesn't offer lake views or easy access to tourist spots although they are minutes away. Lots of peace and quiet though . . . depending on your guests however. The area is loaded with activity opportunities--bike trails, lakes, Lake Michigan beaches, canoeing, antiquing, art studios, fishing, hunting, even ORV-ing in some spots. With ten acres we could easily offer hay rides and a campfire in the fall. There is space for a real small wedding, particularly if we partnered with a tent rental place. Apparently rural weddings are very popular and after having done mine last year, I can see why, so much more relaxing than a banquet hall if you don't want a super formal wedding.

• 3katz4me
    4 years ago

I’m not a fan of B&Bs though I have stayed in some over the years. I like smaller more intimate inns vs hotels if I’m not somewhere long enough for a vacation rental. I just don‘t like staying where I feel like I’m sleeping in someone’s bedroom which is the case in a small B&B. The one thing I do potentially like about the small intimate setting is meeting the other people there. The last place I stayed that was at all close to a B&B had a social hour with wine, cheese, etc. We enjoyed that along with talking to people at breakfast.

i think a B&B would be 24/7 work but if you enjoy it then it’s not work. If you make enough $ you could hire some help then maybe you’d have a few hours off.

• l pinkmountain
    Original Author
    4 years ago

The resort that my Aunt and Uncle bought had a back stairwell/entrance so you could avoid all the common areas if you wanted to and go straight to the rooms which were mostly along a hallway, just like a hotel. The only downside is that ancient place had shared bathrooms. Would not fly nowdays for that. Maybe in Europe. Heck my friend had a London apartment where everyone on the floor shared the bathroom at the end of the hall. It was big, but didn't even have a shower, just a huge bathtub, with a sign to clean it after you were done. Ew.

• gsciencechick
    4 years ago

My favorite boutique hotel in San Francisco has shared bathrooms for some rooms, but I don't book those. Yes, they get a lot of European guests.

Can't say I don't think about doing something else, either before or after retirement. But I've been involved in a couple of panels with people who are new farmers (traditional and hydroponic) and women in microbrewing, and I can see that many of them exchanged one long-hour job for another, but if you are used to doing this type of work and you are passionate, that is all but also the obvious need to make money.

The tour guide thing sounds like a good possibility, too.

• l pinkmountain
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Doing the math, I think I would have to borrow money to buy or fix up a place suitable for a B&B. I don't think I could pay it back in the ten years I would likely be in the business. I could maybe make a bare minimum of a living, but that's not enough time to pay back the 100K or so I would need to start out. That's why a lot of businesses are failing now in my home town. Not enough foot traffic to pay the high rents of brick and mortar. Ironically, in ten years when I can retire, I then can afford the house to live in full time. But in the meantime, sadly, trips up there will have to be limited.

My thought on the tea house was to make it portable, and either rent a space for the teas or bring it to your house. A friend told me about a woman she knew with a business like that.

• llitm
    4 years ago

"...London apartment where everyone on the floor shared the bathroom at the end of the hall."

We do more B&B's /boutique hotels in Europe than in the US and have never (nor would we ever) shared a bathroom either here or there.

• jojoco
    4 years ago

My gut reaction tells me that the younger generation won’t be into bed and breakfasts. And by “younger generation“, I mean my kids ages which are early to late 20s. This generation isn’t as open to social interaction as we are. They don’t like making phone calls – – they would rather text then speak to strangers. I can’t imagine my my kids choosing a B&b over a more “leave me alone” Airbnb or hotel. This is all just my opinion, but I think the demographics that love bed and breakfasts will shrink and be replaced by those who do not and I would hate to see your business struggle. I do love the idea of buying a piece of property where you could do something in the yard… As you said, rustic weddings are huge these days! (And can I give two thumbs up for the idea of a tour guide?)

• nosoccermom
    4 years ago

Try Before You Buy

Before you buy a B&B, Karen suggests volunteering at other inns. You’ll get a feel for what an innkeeper’s day actually entails, and a good sense for what you do and don’t like.

If your state has a B&B association, think about joining and taking the classes they offer, recommends Jenn Wheaton, marketing and program coordinator for the California Association of Boutique & Breakfast Inns. This gives you access to experts who can answer any questions you have before you buy.

Job postings as innkeeper:

http://www.paii.com/Jobs-Wanted/Offered

This website has links to regional/local innkeeper associations

https://www.tripsavvy.com/making-money-with-bed-and-breakfast-310111

According to one survey of bed and breakfastoperations, the average number of room nights booked is 362 (that's a per-inn total, not 362 nights per room), and that's after several years of operation. If you figure 362 room nights at the average rate of $60 a night, that's a gross income of about $20,000.Jun 26, 2019

Personally, I wouldn't want to do it. I'd try an airbnb for starters --- as far as young people, my kids love staying at B&Bs when they can afford it.

• maddielee
    4 years ago

Honestly, my opinion only,, the house you posted would need a LOT of work to make it attractive to future guests. Most travelers now like light, bright and clean.

We have changed our travel accommodations from quaint BnBs to private AirBnBs. What is important to us before booking are good photos, a friendly host, location and honest reviews.

Tea rooms were popular here a few years ago. Most are no longer in business.

I like your idea of offering a mobile service where you arrive with all the necessary equipment (and food?) for an afternoon party in someone’s home. A bridal or baby shower tea party would be a nice alternative to many I’ve attended.

Good luck!

• l pinkmountain
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Yeah, 20k was what I figured and that would not be enough to both live off of and pay the loan off to buy a place. I can't afford B&Bs but did stay at a couple of small inns for work, and three B&Bs back in England (don't worry W, they had private baths!) and I didn't find them any more socially intrusive than a chain motel and in many cases less so. All were clean and quiet and I didn't interact at all with any other guests other than noticing them getting breakfast at the breakfast bar in one place, the others were just rooms.

Knowing what I do about milennials though, cost would definitely be a factor, and wanting to travel with kids and activities for families to do together would be their thing. B&B aren't generally geared towards that, more for singles and retired folks. I know we never stayed at one when I was growing up, but my parents did occasionally on their retirement travels. In my travels during my single days, I tended to rent cottages or camp, as in both cases I could do my own food. If you can't afford a B&B room you can't afford to go out to eat a lot either. That's why campers are so popular in my state, used ones can be picked up for a song and there are many campgrounds. That might be an even easier way to pick up some extra money, run a small campground. The little local campground is where the working class spend their weekends. And yes, the cohort of folks who can afford a nice B&B are shrinking and I don't expect that market to expand. I only plan on working 10 more years though.

I can get jobs in the tourist industry locally to start, but that doesn't solve my problem of no longer being able to afford to visit my ancestral family home on a regular basis, and tend to my mother's grave. I might be better off buying an eventual retirement cottage and renting it out to pay the expenses until we can afford to live there. I supposed I could contract that out with someone up there. I just mused that running a B&B might be a way to kill two birds with one stone, get me up there quicker and get me working for myself.

WSY18, just because you are not aware of something doesn't mean it doesn't exist, particularly perhaps under your price range. My friend was a nurse living alone in London at the time. The apt. also had a heater in the living room that you had to feed with pound coins to keep going, and a hot water tank in the kitchen that you also had to put coins in to get hot water for the dishes, etc. My friend kept a coin purse with her and had to meter her need for heat and doing dishes. She only had heat for a few hours in the evenings before she went to bed. My friends in Edinburgh couldn't afford heat in their big flat either, although they had a bathroom in the apartment. Their advice when you got chilly was to put on a jumper and have another cup of tea. All are married now with homes with heat although it has been my experience that the Brits are more tolerant of chilly homes since heat is so expensive. After my friend got married, she and her husband graduated to being house parents at a college in a tiny flat and then eventually they moved to Perthshire where they have a house with TWO bathrooms if you can believe that! But the down side of that is we both can no longer afford to travel to see each other on either side of the Pond.

• llitm
    4 years ago

"WSY18, just because you are not aware of something doesn't mean it doesn't exist"

Oh, I'm well aware of that, IPink; thank you. I believe my point was, which I didn't make well, is that I wonder if the sharing of a bathroom situation hasn't changed over the years. I do remember our family traveling through England years ago and the only place we could find was a B&B with shared bathroom. Perhaps it's still a thing or perhaps less so now.

• nosoccermom
    4 years ago

On the other hand, $60 a night seems awfully low. The places I've stayed (or would like to stay) are in the 200.00+ range.

For how much do hotel rooms rent in that area? Or is there a bigger city within 2 hrs, maybe have themed weekends, like cooking, outdoor stuff, arts/crafts. How far is this from Chicago?

I'm outside DC, and lost of swanky B&Bs that are solidly booked on weekends, or even over the summer.

If it's only cosmetic, it wouldn't be that much $$$ to make it lighter and brighter.

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz