Was I Dreaming or Did I Really Hear This on the News?

ritaweeda

I was half listening and then my brain said "Huh??" Did a woman actually go to the ER for what she thought was gall bladder pain and wound up having triplets?? I looked all over the internet and didn't see it. She didn't know she was pregnant?? I just don't know how this could possibly happen.

SaveComment14Like
Comments (14)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sushipup1

This type situation is not unknown at all.

Save    
Save    
bengardening

yes it happened here in SD Babies are all doing fine and will be going home real soon

1 Like Save    
maddielee

Not a dream,

Here’s the story

Save    
Bookwoman

There is in fact an entire TV show devoted to this phenomenon: I Didn't Know I was Pregnant

Save    
NewEnglandgal

I can understand one baby but come on! Three babies and you didnt feel anything?????? Do you know how big she had to get to have triplets? Wow.

1 Like Save    
ritaweeda

That must be one of those shows on TLC - a station that might as well not even exist on my dial. Back in the beginning they actually had some good shows on that channel but that was back in the dark ages.

2 Likes Save    
Bookwoman

rita, yes: I call it the "voyeur channel".

Save    
Elizabeth

I cannot imagine being that out of touch with your own body that you do not notice the changes that occur during pregnancy.

Save    
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b

FWIW, I didn't find out I was pregnant until I was about 18 weeks along. I had been trying to gain weight and was very happy that my diet seemed to be working, and I was on birth control pills(which obviously failed due to user error), so never noticed a lack of menstruation. I was also in my 20s, so not very savvy either.

Thank goodness my son was born healthy!

P.S. My cousin found she was pretty far along in her pregnancy at age 42. She believed she was no longer fertile and possibly had cancer. How many other late 'surprise' pregnancies have happened like that?

1 Like Save    
dedtired

Maybe they were packed in so tight they couldn’t move. ;)

1 Like Save    
maifleur01

Women who have POS often have irregular periods and find it hard to conceive. It also affects your hormones and many women with it gain weight easily. Since the weight is often put on early in life many women who have this are fat and there seems to be a body type that is common among women who have this problem. Depending on her age any discomfort could be considered gallbladder problems or just because she was fat. I have not seen a picture of her but it seems to go with this problem.

Save    
PRO
Anglophilia

I once had a neighbor who was very obese. She never knew when she was pregnant as her periods were highly irregular and she was already huge. She had 4 children and was bout 5-6 months pregnant with each before figuring it out. She really wasn't stupid - just a bit clueless.

Save    
functionthenlook

I worked in a ED. It happened several time. We had one baby born in the waiting room toilet. Usually young, first pregnancy and winter time. Sweats hide a lot. Some thought they were gaining weight.
Some mentally convinced themselves that they are not pregnant. Some still denied they had a baby even after delivery. Surprisingly all the babies were born healthy.

The look on the girl's parents faces after given the dx was priceless.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Most Popular Everything I Need to Know About Decorating I Learned from Downton Abbey
Mind your manors with these 10 decorating tips from the PBS series, returning on January 5
Full Story
Life You Said It: ‘Just Because I’m Tiny Doesn’t Mean I Don’t Go Big’
Changing things up with space, color and paint dominated the design conversations this week
Full Story
Life How I Learned to Be an Imperfect Gardener
Letting go can lead to a deeper level of gardening and a richer relationship with the landscape. Here's how one nature lover did it
Full Story