SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
davidrt28

bit of good news about middlebrow east coast landscaping practices?

davidrt28 (zone 7)
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Last weekend I was driving around the upscale suburb of DC where I grew up. (once outer suburb, now inner suburb LOL) Hardly know anyone living there anymore, and every time I'm there, it's 'going to be the last time'. Even beautiful, classy custom houses > 4000 sq. ft from the 70s-80s are becoming tear downs...not just cookie cutter tract homes. Including the one I grew up in. Overall a remarkably depressing paean to our superficial, throwaway culture.

This is not at all an old money area, so it's not like one ever saw more than a handful of the gracious country piles that typify places like Greenville, DE, Bucks Co, PA, or the north shore of LI. For people who buy tacky custom-built McMansions with a ghastly and discordant blend of colonial, tudor, modern and mughal architecture, thoughtful landscaping is the *last* thing on their minds. (more like, will my Ferrari or Bentley look good parked by the gaudy italianate fountain in the middle of my driveway circle...and yes, I had to slam on my brakes for a Bentley being driven dangerously fast around a curve on Walker Rd. that was crossing the double line lol) So point is, this is 'middlebrow' because it's still not the kind of institutionally and culturally informed landscaping that the east coast's more 'old money/upper class' kind of properties would feature. But I digress...!!!

All that being said...I noted an encouraging trend towards ACTUALLY USING THE APPROPRIATE PLANT MATERIAL FOR THE APPROPRIATE PURPOSE. Namely, hedges made with BROADLEAVED EVERGREENS and not Leylands! Baby steps, folks, baby steps! The most common material seemed to be 'Nellie R. Stevens' holly. Nothing rare or exotic, but a damn sight better all the same! Also saw one example that was less glossy so probably American holly. Many of these were recently planted and still filling in, so it's like one or two local 'landscapers' had a eureka moment, "Wow, my clients have made enough money to buy a 1.5 to 4 million dollar house...therefore they might be able to deduce that the leylandiis I plant are the same thing that are making a circa 1999 Mcmansion down the street look like shit because the bottom of it has died off and 1/3 of them have been partly toppled by the elements!' LOL. If this post seems dripping with sarcasm...I couldn't possibly know anything about that!

Comments (9)