Your Tip of The Day?

Marilyn_Sue

Do you have a tip that might make life better, save you some money or whatever? Mine is, every so often go through your produce drawer and if you see you are not going to be able to use certain things up, either fix a meal, freeze it, dehydrate it or can it or as a last resort give it to a friend or family member. What is your tip?

Sue

SaveComment50Like8
Comments (50)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kathyg_in_mi

Pick your fights. If your daughter wants to dye her hair purple, so what, not a big deal.

But if she wants to ride with a friend who is known to drink and drive, then HECK NO!

My kids are all grown, but I remind them of this as their kids are becoming teens.

9 Likes Save     Thanked by Marilyn_Sue
sheilajoyce_gw

Live below your means.

16 Likes Save     Thanked by Marilyn_Sue
jtc

Don't sweat the small stuff.

9 Likes Save     Thanked by Marilyn_Sue
jewels_ks

Don't cancel your morning workout because your dd was suppose to be on the rode before your classes started and instead she slept until after they were both done....and I missed them both! :(

Save     Thanked by Marilyn_Sue
sweet_betsy No AL Z7

3 Likes Save     Thanked by Marilyn_Sue
jrb451

Don't run the weed eater with your mouth open.

17 Likes Save     Thanked by Marilyn_Sue
Lucille

Sometimes, life plans fall apart. The future you dreamed of is off the table, the people you dreamed with now have different dreams, age and infirmities chip away at your physical well being.

You can either be miserable or happy, but that isn't up to others, you are in charge of your own happiness.

10 Likes Save     Thanked by Marilyn_Sue
eld6161

Take deep breaths before reacting.

4 Likes Save     Thanked by Marilyn_Sue
joyfulguy

Q: When should you start planning for your retirement?

A: The day you're born.

It's sort of like making a long hike toward a mountain, and in the early days when you walk or ride a stroller, pushed by parents, you are unaware of the slow rise in the terrain.

Most kids are unaware of the mountain and only slightly of the terrain passing beneath one's feet.

Some teens become dimly aware of parents considering retirement ... and the after-life, that is, how to live after retirement - including funding.

Help your kids begin to learn early how to handle money: better to boss it ... than have it boss you!

That's the time for them to decide to hang on to a part of every dollar that they receive, through gift or employment ... to put it to work long-term for them.

With a couple of younger brothers, I was 10 in 1939 when World War II started and within about a year our farm helper went to war.

Dad's farm was larger than most in the area in those days, and what Dad and we three boys got done on that farm for the next four years or so - got done: the rest didn't!

Dad had given us a weekly allowance from when we were young, and we had been responsible for household and farm chores.

After the hired hand went to war, we boys had lots of work to do, so Dad gave us a wage at the end of summer and we were to buy our clothing, books, etc. as we returned to school. We may have had an increase in allowance, reflecting our extra helping, but in any case we learned that it was not a good idea to spend all of our summer wage early, for often extra needs for cash turned up during the year and it was really helpful to have some funds available to cover such needs. There was a lot of pressure to buy War Bonds, as well ... but that money was not easily available, so we hung on to some readily available cash, as well.

Help your kids/grandkids learn many of the various aspects of money management as they grow, beginning when quite young. Those skills will serve them well through every year of their lives.

Even ... (with will-power) ... beyond ... death!

ole joyfuelled

CA Kate z9

Never! Repeat... Never.... cook bacon stovetop wearing your good clothes.

10 Likes Save     Thanked by Marilyn_Sue
plllog

Practice generosity.

5 Likes Save     Thanked by Marilyn_Sue
chloebud

Love yourself first.

bpath Oh Sophie

Do it now. The first cost is the least cost.

kathyg_in_mi

CA Kate, always cook your bacon in the oven!!

kathyg_in_mi

JRB451, is that the voice of experience???

2 Likes Save     Thanked by Marilyn_Sue
DawnInCal

If you are doing a big painting project that will take several days, instead of cleaning your brushes when you are finished for the day, put them in a sealed plastic bag. They will be ready when you start painting the next morning. I keep them this way until the project is finished. Paint trays can also be placed in large plastic bags for use the following day. If you have small containers full of paint, they can be covered with plastic wrap and sealed with a rubber band slipped over the lip of the container.

It's not life changing advice, but it sure saves a lot of time on clean-up!

7 Likes Save     Thanked by Marilyn_Sue
nancyjane_gardener

It's OK to NOT have a mortgage! We did this crazy thing and paid off our house with only a couple of re-fies for improvements.

We sold our place for about 5x what we paid and moved to one of the fanciest sreets in town! No mortgage!

Sis and BIL are 72 and have at least 10 years left to pay on their house!

1 Like Save     Thanked by Marilyn_Sue
Elmer J Fudd

You get the same appreciation in the house with or without a mortgage. With a mortgage, you would have also gotten appreciation and had a larger and more diversified investment portfolio, most certainly in an amount in excess of the cost of the loan unless the timing or investment choices were unfortunate or unusual.

bragu_DSM 5

A will is nothing more than a dead giveaway.

7 Likes Save     Thanked by Marilyn_Sue
OutsidePlaying

Dawn, I do the same with paint rollers and wrap them in aluminum foil.

nicole___

100% of all foreclosures are on houses with a mortgage. Dave Ramsey

Cook bacon on a stovetop while wearing a BIG apron.

React quickly, get the problem solved and out in the open. Holding grudges will only prolong the pain and add to YOUR misery.

• “The truth is, unless you let go, unless you forgive yourself, unless you forgive the situation, unless you realize that the situation is over, you cannot move forward.” ..
  • When someone shows you who they are, believe them. Maya Angelou
6 Likes Save     Thanked by Marilyn_Sue
yeonassky

Pay yourself first.

Each and every time you get money and need self compassion and rest pay yourself first.

Don't compare yourself to others. Somebody will always have more or less than you. Apples is apples and oranges is oranges. :-)

Also try to know your body's nutritional needs and give it what it needs in a day. Some days it does need cheese sandwiches.

The consequences of not taking care of yourself are very undesirable.

And this from Marisa Peer. Make the familiar thing that you don't want unfamiliar. Make the unfamiliar things that you do want familiar. Practice practice practice. :-)

Elmer J Fudd

"100% of all foreclosures are on houses with a mortgage. Dave Ramsey"

A bit of a tautology I think, probably intentionally so but silly all the same. It can't happen without both factors present. Like saying:

100% of murders are caused by someone killing someone else.

nicole___

Elmer....DR is humorous, but it is true. Yes, it's silly. :0) I defer to Dave Ramsey.

I have family that's lost it all taking out loans....started over...again...and again...

Elmer J Fudd

Strictly personal tastes are involved but I don't tend to find on-air or print media financial people interesting or useful. I looked at his site, I found some of his comments particularly different (not in a good way) and not for me. If you like him, great!

graywings123

Turn off electronics, such as your cell phone and your FIOS cable box,once a week for a brief time. I was told this by 1) a FIOS tech on the phone and 2) my phone.

watchmelol

Faster horses, younger women (or men) older whiskey, and more money

Marilyn_Sue

Sweet!

Save    
jkayd_il5

Is it really going to matter in a week, month or next year. In other words dont get worked up about unimportant things.

nickel_kg

Don't put all your eggs in one basket.

I put all my eggs in one basket this spring by dividing ALL my specimens of my favorite orchid species. Every single one of the divisions rotted off at ground level and died, couldn't save any of them. If only I'd held back even one pot....

OutsidePlaying

I do a lot of gardening. As I have aged, I find I can’t always complete everything I want to do in a single day sometimes. So I typically start with the hardest or most needy task and see what I get done from there. Anything else can wait until tomorrow or next time and I don’t stress about it, especially in the heat of summer.

6 Likes Save     Thanked by Marilyn_Sue
plllog

Today's tip: If you tip your delivery app driver well you'll receive prompt and accurate service. If you tip the 2% higher "recommended" amount, you'll get your food ASAP rather than at the appointed hour, even if it's going to go cold waiting for everyone to arrive. If you don't tip well, they may eat your food...

Elizabeth

If you want to make someone happy, show compassion.

If you want to make yourself happy, show compassion.

....the Dalai Lama

joann_fl

Don't start anything you don't want to do for the rest of your life! (Give that one thought)

4 Likes Save    
blfenton

@joyful - we started our kids on their financial retirement plans the day they got their first job. Over the long term compounding interest is a marvelous thing.

When buying something for the long term - buy the best quality you can afford.

ont_gal

To keep celery a considerable period of time-take it out of plastic (if its'in it) and wrap well in foil.

joyfulguy

For assets intended for use in retirement, starting at e.g. age 15 gives one 50 years to retirement at age 65 ... but starting at birth doesn't seem to have achieved major growth in value at age 15, but it gives one 65 years ... and it's in each of the later years that substantial increments to asset value are achieved.

I'm not sure about legal requirements for young people earning less than taxable amount annually, about $11,000 in Canada, but I think that a number who earn less don't file a return.

It would be wise to file with income lower than that, as they build a credit toward tax-deferred contribution room in a retirement plan ... but not to contribute this year, as there'll likely be higher income, thus larger credit, available later.

Maybe good to calculate whether length of time invested might be preferable: probably largely dependent on rate of return achieved.

For many Canadians who want to contribute to registered educational plan, the government will subsidize up to 20% with restrictions, I think. Best to check with folks who know the rules but not sales people for a carrier.

If investing for a child in unregistered retirement plans, current earnings, e.g. interest, are taxed in the contributor's hand. But capital gain, not realized till sale, usually when paying for education, will be taxed to the recipient -- thus later ... and at a lower rate.

Canadians pay top rate on interest income, but dividends on Canadian stocks are taxed at a much lower rate.

Good wishes for the coming weeks and this year, for you and the kids, everyone ... and for retirement plans.

ole joyful

Elmer J Fudd

Thanks for being clear throughout, joyful, that your comments were intended for Canadians only. The US system is considerably different and most of your comments don't fit here. Just the first example, someone whose income is below the filing threshold gains nothing from filing a return. Usually, the tax authorities won't process it and will send it back with an indication that filing wasn't necessary.

joyfulguy

There are two rats that eat your financial cheese.

There's an agency that has a question and a statement for every Cdn. resident earning over about $11,000. annual income.

U.S. folks hear the same story.

"How much income did you have this year?" and,

"You need to send some of it to us!"!

And some taxpayers, often with advice, can find ways to somewhat avoid being bound by the statement: some friends that I know have found a couple.

Canadians can use Regist. Retire't. Savings Plans (RRSPs), investing up to about 18% of income, with limits, deferring tax now (but taxed on withdrawal, with penalties when withdrawn before about 60). Kid with income below threshold who files would build credit to invest in RRSP, prob. better to invest later, higher income, better percentage credit.

The other cheese-eating rat is INFLATION!

Just after the end of World War II in 1945 farmer Dad had ordered a new Ford "Monarch" car from our local dealer, then moved to Saskatchewan in 1946.

No new cars had been built for civilian use during the six years of war, so there was great demand for new ones.

The dealer wrote to Dad in the winter of 1947, saying that he had a "Monarch" for him, for $1,600. ... and could sell it for $2,000. if Dad wanted him to.

Dad, planning to visit a family reunion in Ontario in the summer and wanting to present an image of success, appreciated that the dealer hadn't just sold it and said nothing, and took the car.

Slightly above mid- level new cars cost way more than that, these days!

Late last year I bought a 12 year old Pontiac "Grand Prix", good condition with about 110,000 mi. - for $2,500.

When I buy a certificate for $10,000. the issuer pays me rent on the money, interest, at, say 2.5% interest rates are low, the days, remember?

Many governments owe a lot of money!

Interest in Canada is taxed at top rate, so if I'm taxed at 25%, that chews .625% from that 2.5% ... leaving me with 1.875% after-tax income.

But ... but ... but ... at the end of the 2? 3? 5? year period the issuer pays me back every dollar that s/he borrowed - but not a dollar more.

But each of those dollars will buy less than when I lent it to the agency. So I have to take account for inflation from the cash that I got back.

What's the rate of inflation these days, folks - something like 2%, officially isn't it?

That leaves me with less than 0 real return on that asset, doesn't it?

And when I visit a grocery (or several other stores) ...

... I figure that someone's stringing me a line!

I figure that, these days, investing to earn interest ... leaves me in the hole!

Don't send any floods, O.K.?

ole joyfuelled

nicole___

I don't understand the "Don't start something unless you plan to do it the rest of your life"...? Maybe it applies to motherhood?

nancyjane_gardener

If you are comfortable with your income, every time you get a raise, have that direct deposited into an account you don't have easy access. When we were young and poor, this is how we were able to treat our kids to Disneyland every other year!

bbstx

I thought the adage was “Don’t Cook Bacon Naked.” :-)))

CA Kate z9

Too true, bbstx, but spatters will ruin a good blouse every time.

georgysmom2

This one is good for all women but it's especially for CA Kate.....on Amazon, check out housecoats for women, snap front. For $15.00 - $20.00 you can find a nice one. I use it instead of an apron. Especially nice if you're doing last minute prep before company comes. Door bell rings, just pop it off and toss in laundry room. DH use to get all excited and say people will be here in a few minutes and you're not even dressed. Wrong! 2 seconds and presto...completely dressed.

CA Kate z9

Now that is an idea worth pursuing!

Raye Smith

I've been doing that for the past several months and it makes it so much more enjoyable to read posts. :)

joann_fl

nicole___ a smart young woman told me that many years ago. Think about it. Don't start doing something ......... Like picking up his clothes that are on the floor....... You will have to do it the rest of your life once you start it. So unless you don't mind doing something for the rest of your life don't get it started. I hope you understand now.

joyfulguy

Apart from our dealings with others, especially partners, who may be happy to let us pick up after them, if we choose to begin doing it, we tend to be creatures of habit and repeat patterns of behaviour, ourselves.

One might refer to it as getting into and following a rut.

ole joyful

artemis_ma

Keep your eye on the rooster.

Yes, he's scheduled for Coq au Vin, but that doesn't mean you need to let your guard down before he gets there.

(PS, this is WHY he's scheduled for Coq au Vin...)

gmatx zone 6

Artemis, the rooster that tried to sneak up on me while I was gathering eggs for Mother ended up in the pot to be made into chicken and dumplings for the evening meal that day! I was 9 years old. It was a Friday the 13th and I can remember it as though it was yesterday.

Related Stories

Cleaning 10 Tips to Streamline Laundry Day
Little adjustments to your attitude and routine can help take the wrinkles out of doing the wash
Full Story
Decluttering 6 Garage Organizing Tips That Really Work
National Clean Out the Garage Day: Here's how to clear the clutter and organize what's left
Full Story
Most Popular 10 Tips for Keeping Indoor Cats Healthy and Happy
It's National Cat Day: Ask not what your cat can do for you (because it will ignore you) but what you can do for your cat
Full Story
Kids’ Spaces 7 Tips to Combine a Playroom and Guest Room
Nurture ABC fun by day and 'Zzzzz' at night with these ideas that cater to both kids and overnight guests
Full Story
Feel-Good Home 12 Tips for Happily Combining Households
Joining forces may seem easy compared to merging all your stuff under one roof. These pointers can help you keep the peace
Full Story
Laundry Rooms Room of the Day: A Laundry So Cheery, Wash Day Is Wonderful
Pretty paint and playful touches banish chore-day blahs in a laundry room designed for a magazine’s Idea House
Full Story
Room of the Day Room of the Day: See the Bathroom That Helped a House Sell in a Day
Sophisticated but sensitive bathroom upgrades help a century-old house move fast on the market
Full Story
Bedrooms Room of the Day: Master Suite Recalls Hollywood’s Glamour Days
Silver-screen styling finds it way north to a Hollywood Regency-inspired bedroom in Toronto
Full Story
A shared philosophy of giving back is what motivates the talented team at Purple Cherry Architects. Our work is... Read More
We provide interior and exterior painting for commercial and residential spaces and offer a number of other... Read More