SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ideasathome

Need to pick floor stain this weekend - Special Walnut or Provincial?

A T@Home
4 years ago

We need to pick stain for our entire first floor this weekend. Yikes! Sanding/staining starts Monday and we have plans to get the family out of the house for the week. So afraid of coming home and hating our floors!

Of course, we never do things in the right order so we selected our cabinet stain before our floor stain (cabinets are delivered, waiting for a couple replacement pieces before they can be installed…no turning back there). The perimeter cabinets will be white and the island will be cherry Molasses stain (dark brown with a hint of gray; island end panel in the pictures). We’ve ruled out gray or gray mix floor stains because we are worried about the red/pink coming out in our red oak. We tried Duraseal’s new Rustic Beige and Warm Gray mixes and we could really see pink. We’d like to find something “out of the can” as opposed to a complicated mix.

We tried several stains (Jacobean, medium brown, early American, espresso, antique brown, rustic beige, warm gray) and they were either too dark, too orange, too red, too gray/pink). We are liking either Special Walnut (left) or Provincial (left). Pictures were taken right after the samples went down, still wet, which our flooring guy tells us most closely mimics what they will look like with water-based sealer. They are both looking darker than I was expecting based on photos I’ve seen online (granted those are online and not in real life), but we like them. Those of you with experience with these stain colors, do these look representative of what we can expect? So worried about picking one of them and coming home to orange or yellow floors.

We just want a nice medium, or slightly darker than medium, brown floor. We are not trying to match the island color because that would be darker than we want (not looking for the maintenance of really dark floors). We just want it to all work. A sample of our granite is in the pictures (African Rain)…Probably should have pick that after the floors, but we put a deposit on two slabs of that too. J

So, what does everything think? Do you like either of these options? Special Walnut or Provincial?

Thanks, all! Have a great weekend!

Comments (69)

• Angela Zuill
    4 years ago

I definitely think the lighter of the two you posted, and even think still think there might not be enough contrast between the floors and your cabinets. I also have to echo what Shannon said about dark floors showing everything. The rental house we lived in while building tested my sanity with its dark floors.

• A T@Home
    Original Author
    4 years ago

This morning with some Mineral spirits. We turned the end panel sideways to block the natural light and the Special Walnut looked very red. Then we turned the end panel a different direction and it looked ok again. Ugh.

I might go to Sherwin Williams and get some of their mixes. We are wondering if we need something with a little bit of gray.

I have to make a decision in about 24 hrs. No stress at all. Everything’s great ;-)

Both the old and new floors are red oak. In the areas that they laced in the old and new and they sanded you can’t tell the difference. I know that doesn’t mean they’ll take stain the same but not much we can do about it.

• Related Discussions

Need to decide floor stain by Tues-help!

Q

Comments (5)
    "FYI, my contractor says he will not do any custom blends, so mixing is out. Please help!" First step. Fire your contractor. Mixing stains and doing a custom blend is standard procedure for any pro. The first thing i tell customer when i show them a color chart is that they ae Not limited to just those. Ill mix up whatever you want. Those guys that say you get to choose whats on the chart or nothing are hacks and gives true professionals a bad name. (Dont really fire your guy if youre happy im just venting. But mixing stains is simple. Saying no should raise a red flag)
    ...See More

Have to decide floor stain by Tues- Provincial or Spec. Walnut?

Q

Comments (9)
    Here's the thing, if you mix them and in the future you need to redo the floors or just retouch where an accident has occurred you will not be able to exactly match it. Scenario: It seemed like the finish you mixed up would never go bad but fast forward a few years and it's all dried up in the can and you have to remember what you mixed together and thought you would never forget!! But you did and you can't find where you put that formula you wrote down. On top of that they have changed dropped one of the colors from the line. How do I know this? Because it happened to us!!! We have mixed stain on our floors and don't have a clue what we used way back when we built the house. I like Provencial, it's an old color that base come back into favor. They are so similar I think you would like either one in the long run : ) It does show more dog hair if you have light color of pets.
    ...See More

Can’t pick duraseal stain for floors

Q

Comments (30)
    We refinished our 20 year old red oak floors this spring. The original stain was a yellow/orangish and fairly glossy. After two weeks of looking at 6 stain samples night and day we chose the Chestnut stain. NOT the English Chestnut, which, in my opinion, has a pronounced reddish cast. Fast forward 6 months and we are very happy with our choice. It's a warm, rich medium brown. I will say it does show dust a little more than our original floor, but we vacuum about every other day, so really not an issue for us. We are finding it a nice change, and a much warmer, richer look. * Edited to add: Our samples looked very different daytime vs. nighttime. We have a fairly sunny home with lots of windows.
    ...See More

Has anyone used 50/50 minwax dark walnut + special walnut on red oak?

Q

Comments (35)
    You want to avoid applying a second coat of stain. It will cause adhesion issues. What you can do is add some of the stain to a oil base poly, then apply it. Another option is to use poly shade in a similar color. You can apply 2-3 coats of the poly shade to achieve your desired color. Poly shade is oil base. Contractor should have water popped the floor prior to applying the stain. The color would come out darker.
    ...See More
  • A T@Home
    Original Author
    4 years ago

First pic above has the end panel blocking the large window. And the lights on in the house. Second pic has the end panel facing the window (natural light).

• Shannon_WI
    4 years ago

Those pics you show, the unstained floor looks prettiest to me. I’d leave it natural, and do 3 coats of poly for a durable finish.

• A T@Home
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks, all. We are giving some more thought and thinking about going much lighter for contrast. Natural scares me bc our red oak is very pink in some areas.

Stay tuned. More samples coming. Going to run out of floor space soon. Only a small section of the floor has been sanded to test samples.

• chispa
    4 years ago

I know you are supposedly on a deadline, but do you want to live with a floor color you hate for the next 10 years before you refinish them again? Tell the floor guy you need more samples in a few different areas.

Did your floor guy talk about water popping?

• A T@Home
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Our red oak. Really pink, right? My two biggest fears are coming home to pink or orange floors.

• PRO
    Oak & Broad
    4 years ago

That picture of the Ebony looks really nice!! Do you have more?

• suzyq53
    4 years ago

Are you doing water poly or oil poly? If you go dark like Ebony, you should consider water popping and oil poly. Like 4 or 5 coats. Light will always have a pink cast.

• A T@Home
    Original Author
    4 years ago

We are doing water poly.

I just brought home a bunch of samples and nothing is really turning out the way I thought it would based on the color chip, so that was a lot of money spent to rule stains out. So be it. Better than making a costly mistake.

We sort of like Weathered Oak. It’s light and has the slightest hint of gray. Will it be too pink? As of right now, it’s the front runner.

Photo:
    Weathered Oak and Driftwood
    Special Walnut and Provincial

• ILoveRed
    4 years ago

DLM has Weathered Oak if you can find some pictures of her floors. Really nice, almost natural color that tones down the yellow imo.

we have Antique Brown. It was a little darker than what I wanted but I wanted a true brown without going orange on my white oak..so my floor guy gave me Antique Brown and Natural 2 to 1. Perfect color for me. All water based.

i had Special Walnut on my red oak, oil based in my last house. After a few yrs I felt it went slightly orange.

If you you don’t have the poly on your sample colors, you really can’t tell what the color will look like...according to my floor guy. Hard decision. Good luck.

• btydrvn
    4 years ago

If your main objective is to combat the red ....go to a very good paint store and ask for a green based color...the green cuts the red...this takes a pro or a colorist to recognize this...

• btydrvn
    4 years ago

I would start with a light color...you can always go darker...

• suzyq53
    4 years ago

Weathered Oak on red oak looks reddish.

• suzyq53
    4 years ago

Weathered Oak stain on red oak · More Info

Aquebogue new construction - 3 1/4" Red Oak installed / stained Special Walnut · More Info

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    4 years ago

The second photo you posted is absolutely beautiful!

• A T@Home
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks, everyone. Still undecided and now I have a headache. Taking a break from starting at them. Will take another look in the morning and make a decision. I think it's between Special Walnut and Weathered Oak. So afraid to make a mistake. We are leaving town and will come home to completed floors.

• suzyq53
    4 years ago

That would be scary for me. I'd want to be there to see if the stain is dark enough or they need to apply another coat before its polyed or they need to add stain to the poly. Maybe they could text you a picture?

• A T@Home
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Yes, he'll send some photos but I know I won't really be able to tell over the phone so I am just hoping I get it right. Special Walnut might be the safe route. Weathered Oak is so very pretty, but I'm afraid of the pink.

• einportlandor
    4 years ago

Hope your head feels better soon.

Just a thought . . . when I'm unsure about a project detail, I often ask the trades for their opinion, e.g. "what would you do if it were your house". I've gotten some stellar advice. The tradespeople do this stuff all day/every day, and see the good, the bad and the ugly. They're able to visualize the finished project which I sometimes have difficulty doing.

Good luck on your project.

• User
    4 years ago

I’d try Jacobean. It has some green in it. Green cancels red in the red oak floor. Very pretty color like a medium brown.

• grapefruit1_ar
    4 years ago

I would absolutely go natural. Remember, prior to HGTV, no one had " orange" or " red" floors. They were simply beautiful and classic.

• A T@Home
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I think we are going with Special Walnut. The darker shade in it picks up the color of the island cabinet. I feel like it will work with various wood tones of furniture throughout the house. Just a good classic brown.

The Weathered Oak is very pretty. It is so tempting. Could be fabulous. But the pink really scares me. Most of what I read says don’t do gray stains on red oak bc the pink will come through over time. Since Weathered Oak has that hint of grey, I am hesitant. In some areas, it is a beautiful ashy color and in other areas it is definitely pink.

We also redid our front stairs with a new red oak banister and matte black balusters and I guess I envisioned it looking more traditional than what Weathered Oak would do to it. Again, could be fabulous, but maybe I’m just a chicken.

Special Walnut is pretty and I feel it’s a safe, classic choice.

I’ll be back later to tell you’ve I’ve changed my mind (which I am quickly losing...or have lost). ;-) Thanks, everyone.

Oh, I found out my flooring guy planned on using oil poly. We can still do water poly. Is that what we should do? Whatever we do on the floors, we’ll do on the front stairs. The oil poly will amber over time, right? Water poly stay true to the color but needs more coats, hence some extra cost.

Pictures: Special Walnut and Weathered Oak

• cyc2001
    4 years ago

I like the lighter choice. It feels fresher and cleaner.

• PRO
    4 years ago

It looks from your photo like the special walnut was put over another color?

Use just one coat.

• Holly Stockley
    4 years ago

If it were me, I'd do the water poly. I've never liked the way the oil-based poly yellows. (It starts out more yellow and that increases with age).

• mlb418
    4 years ago

We did water poly. So far, we like it (4 weeks in). Another thing you’ll have to decide with the water based is the level of sheen you want - matte, satin, or semi-gloss were our choices. We went with satin, and it’s a very different look than our old oil based poly. I wouldn’t have minded more shine, but DH thought less shine looked more modern.

• A T@Home
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@Diana. Yes, just one coat of stain. We put some mineral spirits on it this morning to get a sense of the true color. You’re seeing the wet mineral spirits.

• A T@Home
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I’m pretty sure we are doing a satin finish, but I will confirm that with husband and contractor.

• suzyq53
    4 years ago

If you water popped it, it would take the stain more uniformly. But then I think you would have to use oil based poly or it would feel a little rough. There is also a pre-stain conditioner for raw wood that helps the stain absorb more evenly and you can still use water based poly. Even with water based poly, over time, you will see the color change slightly, especially in areas that get more sunlight.

• T B
    4 years ago

I love the special walnut as pictured today with mineral spirits. The way the wood grain is accented will tie beautifully with your dark island cabinetry, and the lighter stain of the tighter grained wood is a gorgeous contrast and will pull together the lighter elements of the room, whether that's furniture, wall color, or soft decor. Lighting is going to change things from hour to hour and season to season, but to me, this stain doesn't look pink. Good luck! I hope you love the finished result, whatever you choose!

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    4 years ago

I vote special walnut I like the tones, plus the other does look too washed out to me.

You might ask your floor guy to confirm, but I think that with red oak floors, no matter what stain you use, you will always have some warmth come through - no necessarily "orange" or "pink" but a warmth - that is what makes oak my floor of choice.

• chocolatebunny123
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I love the picture suzyq53 posted of the Special Walnut. It's not just the "safe" choice - I think it will be beautiful.

My red oak floors are 20 years old and in desperate need of being refinished. I'm not sure of the finish the builder used (we are not the original owners of the house) but they look exactly like the first picture suzyq53 posted of the weathered oak. I still actually like the color because all my cabinets are dark, but if we ever do get them redone, I will probably go a bit darker.

As an aside, I have relatives that just refinished their red oak floors and used Jacobean. It's pretty but shows every single speck of dirt and dust, and you see footprints everywhere. So for that reason I wouldn't go too dark. I think Special Walnut is a nice lighter-darker brown.

• ILoveRed
    4 years ago

I like Special Walnut if the water based finish will not cause ambering as my old based finish did in the past.

feeling perplexed re the use of mineral spirits. Did your floor guy tell you to do this?

• Holly Stockley
    4 years ago

Red, when you're trying to judge color, "wetting" the stained area with some mineral spirits helps replicate the look you'll get with your resin-based finish over top, at least in terms of color and tone. Dried stain doesn't look the same as stained wood with the finish coat applied, it's usually quite a bit lighter before the finish goes on. It's just a little trick to assess color without having to fully finish a patch of floor then sand it all down to do the WHOLE floor.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

I agree with Holly and I don’t like staining the actual floor on raw wood. Sanding that off reduces thickness and can look odd. Don’t put more samples on floor. Use sample spare boards.

• A T@Home
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Done with samples. Getting ready to leave the house. Thank you so much for everyone’s input. It made me consider some options I wouldn’t have otherwise, but in the end I set out for a medium brown color that worked with the island stain and I think (I hope) I ended up with something that will work. I will be sure to post pics once it’s done.

Price increase for water poly was about $1875. More than I was expecting. Is it worth it? An extra $1.25 per square ft. I know water poly was a must for a natural color or a grey stain, but what about with the Special Walnut?

• PRO
    4 years ago

Would love to see the photos when you are finished!

• st5330
    4 years ago

great choice! we just contracted someone to refinish our existing red oak floors and to add matching floors to the rest of the house. I like the natural look of our red oak- its golden, not pink or orange- when we were getting bids I asked about oil vs water poly and they all said some variation on the theme that in their opinions natural red oak begs for the oil based and falls flat without it, so we are going with oil and hoping it will all age the same as what we have already!

• PRO
    4 years ago

Looks fantastic!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

Very nice. Hope it is everything you wanted.

• suzyq53
    4 years ago

It really looks great! Good choice on the stain.

• A T@Home
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Finally in the house and the stain looks great. However, the finish is not so great. Ugh. Contractor coming back out to look tomorrow. It’s rough in spots and the sheen is uneven (looks glossy or maybe just thicker in some areas). There are a few areas where there is debris under the finish. I think I will start another post to get some opinions on where I go from here with the contractor.

• A T@Home
    Original Author
    4 years ago
  • missy p
    4 years ago

Did you go with Special Walnut? And did you have white or red oak?

• A T@Home
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Yes, we did Special Walnut on Red Oak. I think it is a good medium brown. I'm glad I didn't go any darker because it shows enough dirt and dust as it is.

• PRO
    4 years ago

The color looks great!

A T@Home thanked Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
  • HU-752684960
    2 years ago

Thank you for this post! I’m about to pick stain and special walnut is my gut choice but with so many choices I was second guessing, until now! Your floors are beautiful , hope mine come out as nice 🤞🏻

• Mary Tracy
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I know this is older post, but also know photos are helpful. We used provincial on our red oak. Pics are with all lights out on snowy day (but lots of lights because blinds are not up yet). Its a satin finish, but as yiu can see when light hits it still reflects light. Overall we are very happy. Rich color that isnt too dark or too light (and changes with lighing). No orange - rich brown/golden brown/dark brown are color variations in the wood. waterbased poly.