SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chisue

Cheerios...and Racism

chisue
4 years ago

I was dumbfounded to come across this when looking up a fact about the cereal. A Wikipedia entry says that as recently as 2013, Cheerios ran a commercial where a little girl asks her mother (white) if the cereal is good for people's hearts. Mom confirms it. The father (black) is shown waking from a nap to find a pile of Cheerios on his chest.

Just a sweet story about a child's love for her Daddy, right -- with a little boost for health values of the cereal, right? Wrong. The racist backlash caused General Mills to withdraw the commercial.

It would appear that Trump's advisers were on to something -- something ugly about America.

Comments (26)

• terilyn
    4 years ago

I remember when that happened, so very sad.

• DawnInCal
    4 years ago

It's too bad that GM caved and pulled the ad rather than standing up for what was right and inclusive. But, as rhizo points out, we seem to have moved beyond the outrage despite what we see and hear in the news these days.

• joyfulguy
    4 years ago

We're building walls as tombstones covering the expired racism problem(s).

o j

• amylou321
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Speaking as someone in an interracial relationship I will say that the problem a lot of people had with the cheerios ad was not the race mixing exactly. At the risk of getting jumped all over,the problem was who was what race. There are NUMEROUS commercials featuring mixed couples with no backlash running right now. ( the washing machine one,the tide pods one, poshmark, the PSA type one about texting and driving, and on and on and on) What's the difference? Instead of a black man and white women, they are all white men with black women. Advertisers have wised up to something that I have noticed for YEARS. Any nasty encounter in which a complete stranger had felt the need to say something negative about me and SOs relationship (in MY experience) has been either a white male or more often,though not much more often,a black woman. As a counter, my oldest brother is married to a mixed race,mostly black woman and they have told me in conversations about this that they are not ever subjected to such remarks. Me and SO are. Not frequently, a few times a year. I have been picked apart by black women,loudly,in public. Well, they tried anyway. They looked stupid to everyone else.I have also been pulled aside by "concerned " white men who may have had an acquaintance with me,such as a coworker or something, and tell me that I am likely to get HIV, end up broke, and of course,burn in hell. All a consequence of being with a black man.

There is a new show coming out called "mixed-ish" about a mixed race family. The mother is black the father white. IMO, that NEVER would have flied if it was reversed. Why? Ask the people who would have a problem with it....the two groups that make the most noise about it.

• User
    4 years ago

I remember that commercial. Not understanding your Trump link.

• just_terrilynn
    4 years ago

General Mills Cheerios has been getting warnings from the FDA since 2009 over serious violations. Cheerios are not healthy and are particularly Not heart healthy. I think since more has come to light about Cheerios the FDA might have passed the many warnings stage over GM and the heart healthy claims. Cheerios are sugary toxic chemicals with holes.

https://www.isitbadforyou.com/questions/are-cheerios-bad-for-you

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    4 years ago

I also think that commercial ran for quite some time on TV. It looks like it was pulled from YouTube because of the nasty comments -- but that isn't quite the same as GenMills backing down. They continued to run the ad and made a followup ad that was shown during the Super Bowl 2014

• georgysmom2
    4 years ago

I remember the commercial, and I remember the backlash.......funny thing was, I didn't even notice that the wife was white and the husband was black. Just thought it was a cute commercial.

• chisue
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I don't care for Cheerios myself, but this is about the racism, not the cereal.

Trump blatantly appeals to anything that divides Americans, racists among others.

• patriciae_gw
    4 years ago

I remember the beautiful child.

I really like that sort of ad. It quietly moves people forward.

• just_terrilynn
    4 years ago

I hope that beautiful child didn’t eat the toxic cereal while filming.

• vicsgirl
    4 years ago

I can't remember the product names, but I do recall a few recent TV commercials showing mixed families. This is interesting to me as my (white) daughter is married to a half-black husband, so my grandchildren are one quarterblack. My four year old granddaughter looks completely white, with red hair and brown eyes, whereas my grandson looks just like his Dad. They may run into racism as they older. We live in a very white, mostly Republican neighborhood. I walk every day for exercise and have never seen a black neighbor, though I have seen two "Trump 2020" lawn signs and one of the homes down my own street flies a confederate flag.

• Julie
    4 years ago

So, because you live in a very white neighborhood, they may run into racism? How is that comment not racist in it's self?

• marylmi
    4 years ago

I thought that ad was really cute. I haven't ate Cheerios since the last recall for them.

• just_terrilynn
    4 years ago

In the 2015 Cheerio recall they found weed killer in it.

• User
    4 years ago

It's not just Cheerios. Sadly, under Trump's EPA glyphosate isn't going anywhere.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/glyphosate-breakfast-cereal-still-contains-roundup-ingredient-study-finds/

• just_terrilynn
    4 years ago

What is it with politicians? Obama made all sorts of empty promises in this regard and if anything things became worse.

ETA: There hasn’t been a California wine tested yet that didn’t test positive for pesticides. It’s toxic everywhere I tell ya. Not just cereal. However, kids eat cereal so it’s much more horrible.

• amicus
    4 years ago

amy, my DH and I shared similar experiences as you. DH is Chinese and I'm white. We've seen that the combo of a White man and Asian woman is much more common than a White woman and Asian man, which is us. The first seems to be easily accepted, but I've had more than a few men (never from a woman) make a derogatory comment about us, inferring that I shouldn't have 'settled' for an Asian man. Mind you, it happened in our twenties and thirties, and now we're 60, so I don't know if young couples today with the same mix as us are still experiencing this, or not.

• maifleur01
    4 years ago

I would question what pesticides were found since most plants have their own natural pesticide within them. If they did not they would be eaten by so many insects.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    4 years ago

Interesting patterns in interracial marriages, esp among black men and asian women...

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    4 years ago

maifleur, agricultural pesticides are a multi-trillion dollar industry in the US, comprising multi-billions of pounds of products applied to plants, soil, and water.

Edited to remove the link: it didn't take us to the desired article.

• arcy_gw
    4 years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=61&v=6gZRRQgusXUAMEN

Commercials push the national conscious for sure.

• chisue
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks for that sweet commercial, arcy.

I suppose I shouldn't be surprised when old prejudices hang on and sometimes surface. We're all products of our families' thinking and prejudices. Still, I'm pretty amazed to hear a young person today spout the same racial nonsense I used to hear from now long-dead relatives.

I'll just be happy seeing *humans* of all different hues and genders in all kinds of public life -- where once there were *only* old white men.

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    4 years ago

My 47 and 49 yr old children grew up on Cheerio's. They are both very tall, very strong, very smart and very healthy. My local grandchildren have grown up on them, too. Same thing - tall, strong, healthy and smart.

There are multiple web sites that say they're really a pretty healthy food to eat with milk - leave off the sugar (none of my family ever used sugar on there cereal - only ME!). A few web sites have dire warnings, but I take those with a grain of salt. The FDA made them say they were "heart healthy" as part of a heart healthy diet. In other words, don't think the Cheerios you had for breakfast this morning are going to compensate for your huge bugger with cheese with fries on the side, and the KFC you ate for dinner. Reasonable....

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    4 years ago

Didn't General Mills have to stop making the heart healthy claim about Cheerios?

Now they say something different, but the red heart seems to imply something, doesn't it?

And yes to the ugliness of bigotry still being a thing - even if it's not about interracial couples in ads. When our city was going to name 1 of our many public libraries after our last president, a bunch of 'concerned citizens' flooded local websites with incredible negativity until they backed down. Some weren't even local citizens.