SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chas045

Canon mp980 Printer Connection?

chas045
4 years ago

I have a second hand Canon Pixma MP980 printer (probably originally sold in 2009 ish) connected to my adjacent Win7 desktop computer. It works fine. I also have a Win 10 netbook that has connected to other Canon printers by WiFi. However, I don't have the setup disk for the MP980 with the driver and Canon apparently never made an update driver for Win10. Some online remarks say that the old driver available on line should mostly work on a Win10 machine but I can't seem to even load the driver. It stops immediately saying Couldn't Install; or indicates that A or THE Driver is in use. I removed an older driver for another canon printer and an indication of the 980 driver as well but still get the same In Use message.

So, two questions: I have read that win10 has a second place to remove drivers but I can't find it. I suspect it might not solve the issue anyway; so is there some other approach to connecting to a distant printer without the driver OTHER than my current plan of what we used to call Sneaker Net with a USB stick? I seldom print from the netbook anyway, but it would be better if there was a network type option of some kind.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm