SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
waverly6

I can't believe what I just did!!!!!!!

waverly6
4 years ago

I made a decision and ordered the range of my dreams!!! It's huge and it's blue!

After a year of analysis paralysis; deliberating. researching, dithering, changing my mind weekly ( and weakly), being conservative, pragmatic. looking at every range and wall oven in the known stratosphere, I made up my mind in 5 minutes when I saw an offer that was too good to refuse.

For many months I had range envy, wanting a gorgeous range with knobs and buttons but thinking, be practical and get a wall oven and induction cooktop. It didn't excite me and just didn't have the wow factor! The only appliance, I was positive on the Miele CSO. That was set in stone, Then another wall oven plus a 36 inch induction cooktop. Probably Bosch or Wolf. Or Miele or Monogram. Maybe Electrolux or GE. Not Thermador. Yes, but that 48 inch Aga induction range is wow. But look how pretty that La Cornue is, but it only has 2 Halogen burners. Wait, Ilve makes an Induction range? Oh no, that was a false alarm. Wolf and Fisher paykel make a 36 inch induction range. But I don't like the 2 knobs on the Wolf. Looks cartoonish. Miele makes one too, but in 30 inch but the cooktop doesn't have straddle burners and their service may nor not be approved locally. Lots of 30 inch ones but I like big knobs and I cannot lie. Oh my! Superior just came out with a 48 inch range with gas and induction and sous vide. Those who have seen it, say it's awesome. But it's so new and do I want to run a propane line and have the issues with the burners getting dirty. And then, going in a total 180 degree direction, I use my air fryers and instapot so much do I need the expensive cooktop and ovens, do I need an oven at all? Maybe just have the cabinet made and see what they come out with next year. And round and round and round and round I went.

Then on my hunt again to see what is new I came across the Aga Induction ( Mercury and Elise )at a price that i thought had to be a typo. Emailed and called my dealer at the crack of dawn. Even she didn't know about the price cut. Nailed down the price which was 2000 to 2400 dollars less than I had seen it a few months ago. Decided on the midnight blue Elise instead of the stainless steel I had been looking at. Paid my money, signed on the dotted line and badda bing badda boom I now am awaiting my 48 inch navy blue induction Elise.

And that decision caused a chain reaction. The Aga will go along the wall surrounded by white cabinetry. The island which was also going to be white is going to be navy blue to complement the navy blue Aga. The oven hood (which still in my head) was going to be stainless and brass will have some navy metal in it. And with those 3 ovens, my 3 air fryers, my countertop Tovala steam oven and my instant pot, do I need the Miele steam oven?????

Comments (46)

• thinkdesignlive
    4 years ago

What is your question??

• Curious Bystander
    4 years ago

"And with those 3 ovens, my 3 air fryers, my countertop Tovala steam oven and my instant pot, do I need the Miele steam oven?????"

No.

• Sara
    4 years ago

I don’t think it’s a question so much as a celebration. How exciting!!!! Sounds amazing-post a pic :). And no, I think you are definitely stocked on ovens.

• ljptwt7
    4 years ago

Would also like to see a picture. Sounds beautiful (navy blue) and sill look nice with a navy island. I can't imagine a kitchen with 3 ovens so I'm wondering what exactly those 3 ovens are. ( My kitchen is tiny)

• cpartist
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Congratulations!

It's a good thing they didn't have the Aga induction when I was looking.

• waverly6
    Original Author
    4 years ago

ljptwt7 it has 2 ovens and a grill oven .

Cpartist, Thank you!!!I still love your kitchen.

Sara, spot on!!! It is a celebration and a wonderment that I finally made a a decision and you found the question buried in there too.

Curious bystander, That's what I am thinking too. I wiil do the cabinetry and run electricity and plumbing there in case I change my mind and use the cabinet for storage.

Thinkdesignlive, thanks for commenting,. See Sara's answer

• NewEnglandgal
    4 years ago

Stunning and gorgeous. Will be your star for sure. If I had seen that my entire kitchen plan would have changed.

• mullde
    4 years ago

Congratulations! It is such a great feeling to finally find the missing piece that brings everything together. Your kitchen will be beautiful!

• salex
    4 years ago

That is gorgeous! And I totally cracked up reading your decision process - that was me at many stages of decision making.

• waverly6
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I wish Houzz had a love button like FB has for these comments.

NewEnglandgal and Mullde, exactly. glad to have the corroboration of my decision!just so funny how after a year of agonizing ,i I made my decision in 5 minutes and changed my design . And saved a lot of money in the process.

My house sits virtually on the water so I have blue accent colors throughout. I haven't tired of the blue in 13 years so I don't know why I was worried about going with color.

• waverly6
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Salex, isn't that the truth!! And I was actually being concise about my actual 12 month 24/7 decision process!

• Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    4 years ago

That is a gorgeous cooker, as the English say. I love it. As for the CSO, it is worth its weight in gold to me. It's my favorite appliance ever. The results you get out of a CSO with such ease, are hard to beat. From reheating leftovers, to making super healthy meals to decadently crusty bread, the CSO is the best tool I own in the kitchen.

• 2ManyDiversions
    4 years ago

She's beautiful! Enjoy!

• Mrs. S
    4 years ago

That is just gorgeous. It will make your kitchen. I enjoyed reading your celebration as well!

• waverly6
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Zalco, thank you so much for your advice. You and others who love their Miele cso plus seeing it at a demonstration was what made my decision to go with it. Now that i have a small countertop steam oven, plus all the other appliances are making me wonder whether I should still go ahead with that purchase or "wait and see".

2manydiversions and Mrs. S, thank you so much.

• moosemac
    4 years ago

Wow that is a spectacular range! Enjoy it!

waverly6 thanked moosemac
  • Trish Walter
    4 years ago

I've been drooling over the induction mercury...good for you. The AJMadison price is still too high for me but yay you. can't wait to hear how you love it.

• waverly6
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Trish Walter and Moosemac, very kind thoughts. Trish I know how you feel. For me it worked out cheaper than buying the separate appliances I was looking at.

• skmom
    4 years ago

Its beautiful! Sounds like your kitchen will be a beautiful dream kitchen! Hubby and I had the same thought process when we found our 60” range as a floor model, it was just a price we couldn’t pass up and it totally guided us in choosing our countertops and island color! (It was grey instead of stainless steel, and our steel grey leathered granite just goes very nicely with it!) I do adore your navy range though, it’s such a classic color!

• waverly6
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Skmom, that sounds gorgeous and unique! I'd love to see photos of your kitchen,

• vicbayside
    4 years ago

Wow! Love this post and can totally relate...congrats on your beautiful final decision!! I am going to look a little closer at that range! I have a blue coastal vibe going as well.

• Kristin S
    4 years ago

I am not a range person, but I have total range envy. That's just gorgeous.

• waverly6
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Vicbayside, so glad that I could share this and maybe someone else will benefit. from my discovery. Even my sales person could not believe that sale price. The refrigerator and dishwasher are also on sale. I was very tempted by the blue counter depth refrigerator even though it is only 36 inches, but the dealbreaker was no water dispenser. I'd love to see or hear about your choices seeing that we are on the same page.

• waverly6
    Original Author
    4 years ago

KristinS, thank you. I believe you have the MIele CSO and 30 inch oven, right? I kept coming back to those choices. You must love those.

• skmom
    4 years ago

Here ya go! I love showing off my kitchen... my talented hubby designed and built (and painted) all of the cabinetry! We are most proud of the walnut island with the waterfall edge... but I sure do love having a big range with ample space! I actually do have a largish family, and I really have had most items on the range going at once (whew! Talk about having to have everything ready to go to do that kind of cooking... but it sure saves time when doing large family cooking for the freezer!) but I’m not one of those people who thinks only caterers and huge families should have more equipment and tools than they need... hey, if a person can afford it and it makes them happy then anyone who makes snide comments can go pound sand for all I care! LOL! (I also included a before/after photo collage... our remodel was a complete gut job that involved taking down a partial wall, moving appliances, gas line, plumbing, and some electrical, as well as patching flooring and ceiling. I now have what I think is a beautiful kitchen but it’s highly functional now!)

• skmom
    4 years ago

Forgot to add... my granite often looks black due to lighting, angle, and I think just the contrast with the white cabinets... But it’s actually a dark grey with a lot of different grey tones in it and it’s hard to see in the photos, but the color of the range is exactly the same color as a majority of the tones in the counter. Pure black counters would’ve looked too harsh we think.

• vicbayside
    4 years ago

skmom, I love a kitchen that's so personal! Your husband should be so proud, its wonderful!

• waverly6
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Skmom oh that kitchen makes my heart sing!!!!You must feel like that every time you walk into it. I love what you did. That walnut island is GORGEOUS ! So rich and warm and welcoming. I love the detail of the toe kick on the cabinets I haven’t seen a grey range before. And it’s spectacular. Talk about range envy !!! I love your mix of traditional and modern elements. My style is eclectic like that too. We were going to do a walnut island but then we found some gorgeous red cedar planks. I have walnut live edge in my office. Both you and your husband did outstanding jobs. Be proud ( and I was laughing at your pound sand statement. Love that the most )

• skmom
    4 years ago

Thank you so much! It does make my heart sing!!! :D

• artemis_ma
    4 years ago

Cool!!!!

• Trish Walter
    4 years ago

waiting [im]patiently for pictures....lol...when will your kitchen be done?

• waverly6
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Not until spring 2020. Cabinet parts have been started but reno won't be started until after October as the house is a summer vacation home and i still have some time to enjoy the good weather. It's part of a bigger reno so it's going to be a long time.theAga was ordered as it takes at least 16 weeks.

• barncatz
    4 years ago

waverly6, I have a 9'x 12' galley kitchen. I am looking at the Tovala countertop CSO. That's what you currently have, correct? I have never used a CSO but have mused on them. Just wondering what your experience with the Tovala has been. ( We have the Samsung Chef induction range. Just me and DH). Thanks so much.

• waverly6
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Yes, I do have the Tovala. (and my air fryers). I wish i could compare it empirically to other steam ovens. (Only other comparison is that I have been to a demonstration at a MIele experience center.)

It seems to work very well. I just try and remember to refill the water for every use. I have cooked the Tovala delivered meals as well as my own meals/recipes and reheated everything from leftovers to refreshing bread. They turn out really well. I like that it is wifi enabled so that i can set multistep recipes and also be notified when the cycle is finished. I bought it only 6 weeks ago as I broke my ankle and foot and was looking for an easy way to have premade meals delivered and cooked at home. Due to the foot issues, i have not really cooked that much else in it. I love the scan to cook feature which enabled my domestically challenged boyfriend to do the meals. Apparently some Trader Joe's products are compatible with the scan feature.( Unfortunately, I don't have TJ anywhere near me).

I haven't tried it without the steam to see how it compares to my air fryer. I should also try things like steamed corn or a cheesecake ( which I usually do in my Instant pot). I honestly don't think that even though I love all the presets and menu choices on the Miele where everything is programmed for you, that I need to spend thousands more on that. It certainly is big enough for when we are only 2.

If i had room for only ONE countertop appliance I think I would go with an air fryer oven instead. I really, really love my Air Fryers.

• barncatz
    4 years ago

Thanks so much, waverly6. It doesn't look like there's a lot of options for countertop steam ovens. Cuisinart has one, I see but I think we're going to give the Tovala a try because I really want the steam capability.

PS. I cannot even tell you how much I envy your AGA induction. The color makes it sooo much worse. Thanks again!

• waverly6
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I think you will be happy. Are you getting the discount by taking the-meal options?there is a FB group for Tovala if you want more information. And I understand your range envy. I just felt that once I’m doing so much cooking and spending so much time in the kitchen/ great room I want to look at something beautiful which is also highly functional. And while I really battled with myself about doing combo appliances, actually less expensive than doing the appliances individuall.

• barncatz
    4 years ago

I'm not on FB and we're just getting the oven, not the meal package. There's a Trader Joe's very near DH's office. I'm going to look at their meals for those "make a sandwich, I'm reading my book" nights. I'd really like to do more steam cooking, so I've been looking at blogs and recipes.

I'm a big believer in doing individual appliances, We got our Miele dishwasher almost 15 years ago and it's still great. DD and I were just talking about how we've moved into fewer, better possessions; more expensive up front but quality that lasts more than a season.

• Annie Chermak
    3 years ago

waverly6, I'm currently lusting after the AGA Mercury 48" Dual Fuel range for our new kitchen! Is your reno done? What color did you get? We're in choosing appliances mode right now and I'm thinking the Matte Black AGA will be beautiful with the walnut cabinets we're planning. skmom, your walnut waterfall island is insane! How is it wearing with use? We have a cabinet maker who could totally do that for us! Wonder if it would be too much with walnut cabinets?

• waverly6
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Annie Chermak, sorry for the delay. I got the midnight sky blue, ( dark navy blue). I's beautiful and I'm very happy so far with it. I have put up a post about my experiences so far. ( Reno is not fully completed and I have only used it a few times. ). It really feels smaller and more delicate than my expectations . Even though it's( just under) 48 inch, it feels much smaller.

I do love it. The only thing I wish was different is that while the cooktop does not have obvious white rings for the hot plates, giving a uniform appearance for the top, it is sometimes hard to see the ring. I wish it would light up when on.

• Annie Chermak
    3 years ago

@waverly6 thanks for your answer, and I see that earlier in the thread you posted a pic of your oven. So beautiful -- like jewelry for your kitchen! We're going to look at an Elise tomorrow so I can get a feel for the size of the ovens. By delicate do you mean the looks only or does the oven not seem as sturdy? We'll be cooking with propane and you said you didn't want to deal with dirty burners if you ran a propane line -- is that an issue with propane stovetops?

• waverly6
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I realize it's a vague statement. I mean it has a more delicate look in an aesthetic sense. It's not a big heavy clumsy look. The actual feel is very solid with good workmanship. Does that make sense? Maybe a comparison would be, it looks like a ballet dancer as opposed to a country milkmaid (but they both have the strength to do what they do).

By the burner issue, I mean, that I find it so much easier to wipe clean the spatter on a glass cooktop than oil and grease spatters on burner grates. I have had a beautiful viking gas cooktop in another house and I hated lifting and cleaning the heavy grates every time I used the cooktop. I didn't mean that the propane creates any issues or dirt.

Please let me know what you think after seeing it.

• waverly6
    Original Author
    3 years ago
  • Annie Chermak
    3 years ago

@waverly6 After looking at the AGA Mercury and then seeing the KitchenAid 48" range with dual ovens, we will be going with the KitchenAid because of the enamel-coated stove top (less scratching) and full-sized oven (though I was sad to miss out on that separate broiler unit). It was a tough choice, because I loved the look of the Mercury, but we also were more comfortable with the availability of installation and service for the KitchenAid in our smaller city. One question I have for you is, what kind of hood are you using over your range? We're having a custom cover built for ours, so we need the guts for it and I'm completely confused about CFMs and blowers and venting, MUA, etc. What was your experience?

• waverly6
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Annie Chermack, that is a beautiful range and obviously a well thought out choice for you. With dual fuel and gas, you have so many more options than with induction. What color did you choose?
    I am sure you have broiler options with yours so you probably won’t miss a separate broiler oven. I haven’t used mine yet as it is still barbeque season.
    I went with a Miele hood which has the blower built in. Ask your appliance store what they recommend, requirements for gas are different to induction.

• Annie Chermak
    3 years ago

@waverly6 Thank you! We are going with the black -- it's so pretty!!! It has a stainless griddle incorporated into the top which I think I'll prefer to the cast iron ones on many cooktops cuz it's lighter and easier for me to clean. I think I'll ask an appliance repair their opinion on hood components -- seems they'd have some good experience with it! We've been BBQing a bunch lately, too! Enjoy the last bit of summer!!