SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plllog

August B'day Dessert #1 down. The Tart and dinner.

plllog
4 years ago

All plans were off for the tart. They had the most beautiful tree ripened peaches and nectarines at Whole Foods. I thought to mix the them with a small one from TJ's for the center, and have three flavors, plus variation in the skin color. I loved it but the birthday girl would have rather had all peach. I had an extra tree ripe and left it in the fridge in a dish with her name on it.

The guest list kept expanding, and the dining room was as full as can be, but my simple plan worked. In order to concentrate on the tart, I decided on Chicken Marbella, pearl couscous and salad for the dinner. The recipe calls for four chickens. More than enough no matter how many were there, and prepping the day before was alluring, since overnight marination is called for. (They loved it, by the way. The recipe is always a winner too). The problem is I had to prep here and take it there. I've done plastic bags before but the marinade sticks to the bags too much and can't be properly scraped down, so I was searching around for something big with a lid that wasn't my dough bucket and espied my old 8 quart Farberware kettle that came with the set of pots my folks gave me when I was in college. I make matzah balls in it once a year. Given the dome of the lid, it all fit, and fit in the fridge, and it has carry handles, though I put it in a cardboard carton to contain potential drips (none happened). Most of all, to prevent chickeny contamination disasters, before I put it in the fridge for the overnight, I made sure the top wasn't going anywhere.

Yes. That's a couple yards of packing tape. It did the job nicely. :) The chicken came out perfectly even though I forgot to baste. There was plenty of steam from the liquid in the pans, so nothing dried out. I also made a steak and potato for Mr. Picky.

The packaging of the cous cous (ball pasta, both whole wheat and white mixed) said to use too much water and too much pasta per person. I had double what I wanted, and it was soggy, but I think I was the only one who noticed. I used a wire spider to dish it out of the pot, which helped. I think the leftover is going to be some kind of custard pudding. Or I could make a Marbella casserole.

The salad had baby lettuces, wild arugula (my favorite), chopped snow peas, yellow squash, prepared tart beets (boughten), and avocado. I made a tomato herb vinaigrette with black cherry tomatoes and scallions that was passed in a separate small salad bowl, and served to have the green salad not dressed as it was passed for the one who likes naked salad.

Then there's the tart. As the guest list blossomed, so did the tart. I have an 11" tin. I figured that the trimmings from the standard sized tin would just fill the 11" one without trimmings, and so it did. I didn't get it centered perfectly (hard to do with a loose bottomed tin), but managed to repair and pat into place so it fit. And I also gave my pastry tamper a good workout. :) Happy accident. Years ago, I somehow ended up with two jars of ceramic pie weights. I never used more than one for a pie, and hated storing the second, but I didn't know anyone to give them to. Well, tarts. Apparently, I do need two jars.

I didn't want to do a jammy tart, even though that's what most do with peach. It would be too sweet and what a horrid thing to do to such lovely peaches. Pastry cream seemed a bit weak. I found a Georgia peach pudding which was basically overcooked pastry cream with too much sugar, so did my best to adapt that to be a real pastry cream. It came out fine, but the peach puree, which was a couple of the older, smaller less sweet, Summer Flares, and one of the bigger, new tree ripened Summer Flare that had gotten icky at the stem end (unpretty with it cut off), was so amazingly wonderful a flavor, and the pastry cream only tasted slightly of peach. I probably should have condensed it. OTOH, I ran the apricot preserves for the glaze through the Vita-Mix with the bit of peach puree in the bottom instead of water to thin it, and the result is eye-rollingly good.

I took the shell in my big cake safe--the only thing it would fit in--unfilled, and assembled there. I didn't even have a big enough cake board, but grabbed a small wad of doilies--maybe 5 stuck together--and that worked just as well and didn't shred when I cut the tart. I found a too big but really flat tray there, and cleared the door shelf of the fridge so it could sit there to set, with the top of the cake safe to protect it.

The peaches and nectarine slices alternate, and the top of the middle is one of the small, tarter peaches. I had everything arranged beautifully on a plate, but when it came to making the tart itself, I just went for more peach, less pretty. The company still loved it. I thought it came out very good and I'm my own worst critic. The teenager wants to start making tarts.

Here's the tart before it was chilled. After chilling and setting, the glaze evened out, as expected, but I was in no state of mind to take a picture when it looked its best and people wanted to eat it, as expected.

Happy Birthday B! I'm whipped, but it was a lot of fun. :) Many happy returns of the day.

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville