SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
barplants123

starter new small baby BLUEBERRY PLANTS DYING water watering

barplants123 barplants123
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Plated about 7 weeks ago. Zone 6-7 new jersey. I researched some of the best types for this zone are Blueray and Legacy. I got two of each. I don't know which are which.

I think I might have overwatered.

A few weeks after planting had reddish dots on leaves. I googled that and it sounded like needing fungicides or something so I didn't go that route - but the reddish dots being asked about on forums people were sayin it's like sunburn or something and not to worry, and someone posted pics theirs boucned back healthy from this with no chemicals or anything.

Recently 2 have lost almost all their leaves.

The soil isn't very draining, I mulched a few inches also which would actually help overwatering. I watered them once or twice a day for several weeks even while they had red dots.

I'm confused because a new starter plants NEEDs plenty water to get started but also the root is so small it can easily be rotted from too much water.

Now I'm only watering about 3X a week or less if it rains.

I put slotted chairs in front of them the past 2 weeks to block some sun in case it's too much sun at too early a stage (only 2 of the 4 are dying though the other 2 have 2X more leaves and branches then when they started).

i Read they prefer full sun but they're on the side of a house that blocks sun for half the day.

Should have started them in much less sun? Even with all the watering I did in the sunny spot they're in, or maybe it was overwatering that's killing them?

I'm hoping if all the leaves fall off, there will be new leaf growth in Fall if maybe I mist the branches every day to keep them from drying out.

Weren't too expensive but don't want to re-order them. thank you,

Comments (9)