SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
icoe_gw

Help! My baby pomegranate is dying!

10 years ago

Hi everyone! I recently purchased a miniature pomegranate tree from a reputable mail order nursery. The tree arrived on a VERY hot day (here in the southwest) a few weeks ago, obviously in shock from the heat. It promptly lost all its leaves and turned into a small, but live stem. I put it in a window with moderate light, and have kept it somewhat moist. The soil it is in seems to retain a lot of water, but I have tried to give it plenty of time in between waterings. I also gave it a bit of organic fruit tree fertilizer. Per the instructions that came with it, I did not transplant it. The instructions said to wait to transplant until it had produced two new leaves.

Well, the stem almost immediately turned brown at the tip. The brown part has very slowly been creeping downward. However, also very slowly, the tree has produced the beginnings of two new sets of leaves at the junctions where the old ones fell off. Because I could see it was starting to grow, I assumed it would be OK. But the brown part has continued creeping downward, and I was alarmed today to see that it had suddenly passed one of the leaf junctions and taken one set of tiny leaves with it! It is headed for the last set of leaves now, and I am pretty sure that if this continues, my poor baby pom will only have a few days left!

I don't know what could be wrong with it. I have really tried not to over-water or do anything that could stress it. I am wondering if it was doomed from the start since it was almost baked the day it arrived. But it has lived this long. I am baffled. Any ideas? I know the nursery will replace it, but I would much rather keep this one! Thanks!

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus