SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hplucinski927

great room help

Heather Plu
4 years ago

Looking for fresh perspectives because my husband and myself clash on ideas; this is the great room, only living space (1st flr) & off of kitchen, with open catwalk opposite of fireplace and open loft adjacent. I'll do my best to keep it simple and short -

1. hang tv above fireplace?
    -We are debating on the idea, to increase seating capacity, however, we are concerned about postural issues/neck strain, heat from fire place and electronics etc. We did find an adjustable, pull down tv mount. Will this really help increase the seating number in this room??

2. couches stay? Go? Sectional instead? Wanted dove gray accent chairs, not sure.
    -As for furniture, we both prefer traditional, tufted and leather (due to pet hair/easy cleaning, but open to alternatives), however, currently the space feels dark (to me) and I was hoping to lighten it up. Main goal is to increase butt count and not on floor, lol.

unnecessary but since I'm here

1. window treatments
    I feel they are necessary, DH doesn't, with the exception of power blinds on 2nd story windows. I really love British colonial style. With the tv above fireplace not sure if this wall would feel too heavy, cluttered, etc. or due to its height could it work?

main concern, increasing seat count and will hanging the tv above fireplace accomplish this? or a reevaluation in furniture could help?

Thanks for your input!

Comments (18)