SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
javiwa

Turk's Cap new growth malformed/crinkly

javiwa
4 years ago

(Houston TX area - zone 9b) I successfully started and planted rooted cuttings in early spring, and the plants have come along very well -- large, healthy, green growth, with each plant measuring ~ 2'x2'. I returned from a 12-day vacation to find the top 1/3 growth of all four plants looking awful: leaves nibbled and misshapen, and weird scrape marks all along the upper stems. I didn't otherwise notice any signs of pest of disease. I pruned back each plant to get a fresh start. Fast forward three weeks later: it's happening yet again.

Whatever 'it' is, it doesn't appear to be spreading, as the original growth looks as healthy as ever -- completely unaffected. It's just the new growth that looks awful.

Here's a shot of the underside. Again, no discernible pests, scale, etc. Not the best pic, but notice up and down the stems, what almost seems like something has abraded the surface, leaving it kind of scraped/rough and light colored. I've run my fingers along these areas, and nothing 'powders off' -- unless it's some sort of disease just barely beneath the stem surface tissue. It doesn't appear as bright white as in the pic, but the lightening is definitely noticeable.

The only thing I could think of, given the crinkled leaves, is (cucumber) mosaic virus.

TIA

Comments (21)