SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lilyfinch

Any chance you recognize this rose?

I hate to post pics with no blooms bc how unhelpful is that !! But maybe the growth pattern will help. When We bought this house the owner had the roses ( 2) shaped into a squared shrub . That’s actually common here (ew). There was one shriveled up bloom left , it looked white and he said oh it’ll bloom off and on all summer. well I havent seen one yet. Now it’s shooting strait up and all over the place , still no buds. In the meantime neighbors icebergs have been going off and on despite repeat hedging cuts .. so I’m pretty sure it’s not iceberg . And something I do note is that some canes look thornless and others have some thorns .

maybe someone knows and can help me ?

Comments (28)

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I’m adding this to the antique forum as there are a few of you in Ca who may know and maybe it’s a lady banks ? I do not expect it to be a rare rose , probably something that came from Home Depot or a landscape supply . Also worth noting it is growing rapidly and I don’t water it . Unless the drip does but we don’t even know if it’s working

ignore my poor bougainvillea I over watered it now it has to recover

Thank you so much for looking. Hope we can I’d it .. though I think it’s on its way out the door if it’s a once bloomer

• BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14)
    4 years ago

It looks like Lady Banks or Fortuniana...one of those related big thornless climbers. Yes they are once bloomers. Definitely not Iceberg!

• Related Discussions

Anyone recognize this rose?

Q

Comments (4)
    We'll be sure to keep it around - the history of the rose and the site alone are a good reason. It is a once bloomer - I haven't noticed fragrant leaves, but I'll check the next early morning I'm there. Greenhaven, I got all excited when I looked up your suggestion, Rosa setigera (prairie rose) because it fit the description so perfectly - until I got to the picture of setigera's hips, which are quite round. The hips of this rose are almost bottle shaped. The hunt is on......
    ...See More

Do you recognize this rose?

Q

Comments (9)
    I don't see any stripes on the bud, so I don't think it's Chiuly. It might help to add that it had 67 buds on it at last count yesterday. I counted five times because I thought I was crazy. On each stem, 4 or 5 smaller stems appear with one bloom each. Does that make any sense? I don't know how to explain it so I'll take another picture tomorrow and post, weather permitting.
    ...See More

Anyone recognize these roses?

Q

Comments (2)
    The most common white florist variety is Vendela, but do a Google search for "wholesale florist rose", and you might find something else. Most roses grown for the florist trade are not available for sale to home gardeners, as bboy noted.
    ...See More

Is there any chance that this is St. Patrick Hybrid Tea rose?

Q

Comments (2)
    Thanks Ozmelodye, I was thinking it might just be a phase that it's in since the weather has been strange but I guess it's not. I did some investigating on the Certified Roses website and what climbers they grow and I'm thinking this might be a "Coral Dawn" that they mixed up. They look very similar.
    ...See More
  • User
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

It’s definitely one of the banksiaes, and it’s very unlikely that it will repeat.

• Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country
    4 years ago

I thought Lady Banks also... once-blooming and extremely vigorous.

Original Author
    4 years ago

Yippeeee thank you so much!! I’m actually glad it’s something I don’t want so I can pick something else . They actually planted two here , I don’t know what the real plan was !! I have to find my reciprocal saw and get them out of here before they get too big !!

Original Author
    4 years ago

Haha Ben !! Totally right . I was hoping they were iceberg as it would be a great backdrop for the bench . But I think I’ll plant oleander there . I really love the look of those !! It does get a bit of shade anyway .

4 years ago

Some places do not allow Oleander. I cannot remember the specifics, nor the final verdict regarding it being poisonous to animals etc. Maybe someone on the forum knows if it could be a problem ...

Oleander was on a banned list for many LV communities.

• debbym, Tempe, AZ Zone 9
    4 years ago

I have oleanders all over my property along with three dogs and one cat. I've raised three different puppies over the years and have never had problems with poisonous oleanders. There are a lot of common plants that are poisonous as well.

That said, I would only plant an oleander if I wanted an easy, fast growing hedge or something to block the neighbors, etc. They are very easy to grow and are bullet-proof but they get big and need regular pruning and they do shed blooms and leaves a lot.

But, I would plant them in a minute if I wanted a good way to block the neighbors and/or you need a good hedge.

I have no god-awful HOA so you might have to check on that.

Original Author
    4 years ago

Oh the oleander is sold everywhere here, and lucky me ( seriously!! ) no hoa !!! It’s in a place that separates us from the neighbors and really there is no need to garden back this far . Let me show you ....

Yep Rifis that is what I have , but we were fortunate that movers packed our stuff and I still haven’t found the dang thing! It’s great for easy trimming and removal of anything I don’t like . I really need to find it !!

This provides a “ hiding place” for my daughters bike and push car she loves for walks . Also my numerous amazon packages lol

Excise the weeds ( if Lisa sees this I know she’ll roll her eyes bc she warned me about them but I still haven’t pulled them ! Haha )

if anyone can think of something to do with this corner I’m all ears . I should walk around the area and see what others with the same house have done

• roseseek
    4 years ago

If those are three leaflets along those canes and if there are quite a few prickles, it's Fortuniana and will only "repeat" if you live at the beach, where it doesn't get very "hot". Here in Santa Maria, where our average temp is 75, Fortuniana and Banksiae have been flowering since February. They did similarly in Pacific Palisades. These climates provide months of "spring" until about September to October when "heat" arrives. Then, they believe it and stop flowering.

• Stephanie, 9b inland SoCal
    4 years ago

Jenna, What a weird spot to put two banksia type roses! It looks like you have a fence separating the properties in this little side yard? Or is that fence one foot from neighbors house and half the little side yard actually their property? I can't tell from the picture. If its yours to do as you like, maybe climbing roses on the fence? Hybrid Musks if it gets some shade. How much sun back there? Also other climbers like jasmine could be lovely. You could put a large shrub behind the bench in the spot where the bush closest to the house is being taken out. Then on the left side of bench leave a path to walk around to the side yard? Maybe make it a secret garden?

• hugogurll
    4 years ago

In So Cal, the oleanders are dying from a bacterial disease (Xylella) spread by insects. If you don't have it already, you soon will in Central Cal. Consider something else.

• roseseek
    4 years ago

The oleander leaf scorch appears to be a greater problem where there is greater heat and much more water stress due to heat and lack of water. The oleanders here in Northern Santa Barbara County and all over San Luis Obispo County I encounter are as magnificent as they USED to be in SoCal.

• sautesmom Sacramento
    4 years ago

One warning about oleanders- some people are extremely allergic to the pollen, and they bloom a long time. And the sap can burn your skin. And they are spider hotels. OK, three warnings, LOL. I like them as a freeway plant, but not really a fan for home use.
    Bougainvillea would be a nicer choice to me, plus they come in so many colors!
    Carla in Sac

Original Author
    4 years ago

Wow lol !! Had no idea ... hm ..

I was under the impression that bougainvillea needs blazing full sun to be happy . I would have liked one there.. I bought one but overwatered it so now it’s in “ recovery “ already bc I had no idea they weren’t water happy plants .

Maybe just good ole icebergs as a back drop then ? Hmmm I don’t know now

steph the whole area of mulch is mine , but out of respect for the neighbors I may not wNt to plant climbers on the fence. I don’t know .. it is a rental for them .. but it feels like I’d be intruding. I already feel bad bc in the back yard our pears and avocado and grapes are on the fence line and I am sure a pain to them. Also it seems the houses shade the area after 1 .. I would love the idea of a secret garden down the road! Maybe when I finish the back wall . :). As it stands I am happy with my front plants , have room for 2 more roses in addition to whatever replaces the banks rose.

• Stephanie, 9b inland SoCal
    4 years ago

You will have a better sense of the neighbors and you have so much going on right now anyway, so I think it’s a great idea to hold off until later for that area. Iceberg roses do really well here and if well cared for can be gorgeous! There is one house on our daily walk that has two of the most beautiful Iceberg roses I have ever seen. Actually the most beautiful rose bushes if you were only growing for the foliage. Once I walked by and saw the owner weeding and complimented her by saying that hers were the most beautiful Iceberg roses I had ever seen. She just looked at me and said “oh is that what they’re called?” They are the only roses in her yard and I am guessing they came with the house. I thought it was funny that she didn’t know what variety of rose she was growing given her obvious green thumb and high water bill. Her two bushes grace the entrance of the walkway to her house at the sidewalk. They are extremely thick, lush and green with perfect foliage. About 4 feet tall and perfectly rounded shape. Her pruning method has been to deadhead after each flush and in Jan she removed all the leaves and shape pruned a bit, but she prunes very lightly. They have a lovely wafting fragrance, at least to my nose. I would have one in my yard if it wasn’t so tiny and if I didn’t get to enjoy every one else’s Iceberg roses. I have a fondness for very pale and white roses. Also love red roses and red and white together. Here is my Mac full bush shot this morning. Any reddish leaves you see are from the red rose, Gruss an Teplitz, growing at her base.

• Amanda Zone10Socal
    4 years ago

Oleander is very poisonous to horses and people, they don’t want you to have it in certain places because people don’t clean up the leaves and horses get to it. I think its the poison from hamlet? I grew up around it and lived but if you have a baby I would wait until they stop putting things in their mouths. That bougainvillea will eat that whole area up so if you just wait you won’t have to do anything :p

• sharon2079
    4 years ago

If you have your heart set on oleander, find the one you like at a nursery have everyone in your family touch it but don't buy it.... wait a week and make sure none of you breakout from it..... my husband breaks out from just touching it.... my daughter only breaks out if she gets the milky sap on her and I don't breakout at all.... none of my family get dangerously break outs from it.... but some do.... just be take caution before you get it.

Also, your rose looks like fortuniana to me...

Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks for the advice on the oleander !! I usually don’t mind if a plant is poisonous as I’m the only one tending to them . But I am going to search out a substitute.. there are plenty roadside to enjoy!!

Beaautiful view you have there Steph ! It looks like you get some great sunsets? your mac looks very happy and healthy.

thats great your neighbor takes such good care of her icebergs . Even if they are so common here the white is such a beautiful background , you can’t beat the rebloom and o agree the fragrance is great too !! My neighbors have a hedge of them , they looked so good a week or so ago but their landscaper used hedge trimmers on them and now they are back to squared off hedges. I do not get that but hey it’s their money !

i will look up fortuniana , to compare Sharon! I wonder if that’s sold common here ? Who knows .. I don’t think much planning was put into certain things here honest to goodness . I’m glad for some things they did but otherss I just wonder about .. lol

• Rosylady (PNW zone 8)
    4 years ago

I think some people buy what is sold as "White Lady Banks" and end up with Fortuniana, as I did. For me in the cool PNW, Fortuniana is one of my favourite roses and reblooms in the fall. But, it's a very large and vigorous plant, so I would only keep it if you happen to love it.

Also, for white roses for California, have you seen Snowbird? It apparently does really well there. I have a small one and am hoping it likes my cooler climate.

Finally, for white roses, consider Bolero! I have a hedge of them and absolutely love them. The foliage is also beautiful, like Iceberg. I'm not sure how it does in CA though...hopefully just as well as here!

Original Author
    4 years ago

Hi rosy lady !! I haven’t seen snowbird around , it seems Ice cap is the alternative in nurseries .. I’ll look it up though ! I do have a bolero tree form ! I don’t know where to plant it yet . I was going to do a pretty pot with petunias underneath, but I’m not sure !!!

4 years ago

Snowbird is a very pretty white rose with a lovely strong fragrance. I purchased it from Burlington, years ago, after seeing Catspa's. I also think it would thrive in your garden, Lily. It should form a 6' shrub.

Edited to add:

Here is one of Catspa's threads with Snowbird shown:

https://www.gardenweb.com/discussions/4866852/snowbird#n=14

Original Author
    4 years ago

Ok WOW !! That is indeed gorgeous and special .. wow . Now my wheels are turning . The fragrance sounds amazing too !! Wonder if I can find it around here. Also where is that dang saw before I can’t remove the monster out there ! Lol

• comtessedelacouche (10b S.Australia: hotdryMedclimate)
    4 years ago

Could your rose be Purezza i wonder? Just thinking of that sporadic rebloom - I don't know if the foliage and semi thorniness are right, or whether it's popular enough there to be available to buy in the sort of places your home's previous owners would be likely to have found it.

I'll just add this link because it shows how lovely these Banksia relatives can be in the right situation, and I just thought someone might enjoy seeing it, even if it doesn't persuade you to keep whoever your rose is. It does show one idea some might like to copy, having white roses of different size blooms eg a tiny banksia type near a larger tea type. (Second pic from the end.)

Fortuneana (IIRC) should have the same lovely, gentle but distinctive violet scent as the Banksias. Not sure about Purezza's fragrance though, said to be 'faint'.

• cyndita (west coast zone 9)
    4 years ago

I think a low maintenance rose in your color scheme (either Iceberg or something else) would be nice there - since it’s back in the corner, you might not want to keep having to climb back there to fuss with it....

• roseseek
    4 years ago

Purezza has a bit of the clove scent I detect from Banksiae lutescens when I collect their pollen. The rose in the original post is not Purezza. It does look like Fortuniana. The foliage is not Banksiae. Remember Fortuniana is a Banksiae - Laevigata hybrid and its foliage is different. Don't be deceived by the Help Me Find page saying it's relatively or completely thornless. Like Banksiae, there are thorny and thornless forms. I grow Banksiae, Purezza, Basye's 86-3 (Banksiae X Laevigata) amphidiploid and I gave my VI Fortuniana to Grace Rose Farm for her to raise as root stock because she has the heat in Santa Ynez I don't here in Santa Maria, so she can make it grow and root. All it wanted to do here is flower....continuously.

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County