SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shinyonne

Shade-tolerant upright shrub for planters?

shinyonne
4 years ago

I live near San Jose California, in zone 9.

I am looking to repot two planters on my small, east-facing backyard that's entirely shaded year-round by a large Live Oak tree.

I had two sky pencil hollies that seemed to be quite happy for more than a year until a couple weeks ago, when I noticed they were becoming infested with mealybugs. Nothing I did to control it worked - sprayed daily with rubbing alcohol; later switched to neem oil; then systemic pesticide. My husband then informed me he had sprayed the plants with “some pretty strong stuff.” (something called RepelsAll.) The more shades of the two plants died pretty quickly after that, though the other - which has the more severe mealy infestation - is taking longer but is on its way out.

I dont know whether it was the pesticides, the mealybugs or something else that killed them, but I’m a bit reluctant to replace them with new sky pencil hollies.

Is there a similar shade-tolerant shrub that has an upright shape and can tolerate being in a pot (suitable for maybe 3-4ft tall plants?)

I was thinking of a dwarf Italian cypress, but that sounds like it will require full sun.

Any other help or suggestions?

Comments (10)