SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
karina_kelley28

Shower Window - What to use for sill/recess?

Karina Kelley
4 years ago

Hi!

We are doing some updating in our 1943 house's bathroom and have decided to replace -- but keep the original size of -- the window above the tub (it's about 3.5 feet tall). It needs a waterproof sill and recess, because it is in the flow of water from the shower. I am likely going to caulk in a piece of plexiglass in front of the window to keep the window itself from being pelted daily by water.

(Idea borrowed from this site: https://victoriaelizabethbarnes.com/window-in-shower/comment-page-4/#comments )

What material should we use for the sill and window recess? PVC trim? Tile? Other? We have two inches in the sill/recess (maybe less after the new window is installed).

I am looking at an install date of early September, 2019, so I have about a month to get my ducks in a row.

I really like the look of a wood-trimmed window... would PVC trim get me a similar look? Is there one you recommend we check out? We have some on the window exteriors, and I find it to be fine until you get up pretty close.

If we do tile, do we need bullnose pieces for the corners? Would a pencil trim work or look weird? Or would a piece of matching Schluter look okay?

Thanks!

-Karina

Comments (10)