SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dlm2000

Oh for Pete's sake! C'mon Houzz get it together

DLM2000-GW
4 years ago

Newest comments on a thread are now at THE BOTTOM. Why?

Comments (49)

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    4 years ago

Putting the latest comment makes it difficult to follow the discussion.

Discussion the follow to difficult it makes comment latest the putting.

See how that works?

• Momofthree Ma
    4 years ago

I don’t mind that it puts the comment at the end, I just wish it would take you to the latest comment when you click on the thread. It’s so annoying with the really long threads to have to scroll all the way through.

• Related Discussions

Parents don't think unwed couples should live together

Q

Comments (31)
    Children learn what their parents teach them when they're young. I'm none of the above on the left, and yet my parents left me alone to live my own life once I was 18. I think there's more to be said for kids that can step out on their own once they hit adulthood and make their own choices and live their own lives, then the ones that constantly run back to mommy and daddy for input, money, what have you. The point she (and I) have tried to make is be the best parent you can when your kids are children and hopefully you've done the best you can. Once they are adults, leave them alone as much as possible so they can actually become adults -- be there for love, support, and whatever they might need if they're desperate, but don't keep handing them everything, or forcing your own life choices and opinions on them past childhood. I think you do more damage in the long run if you do that. Just my opinion.
    ...See More

GW to Houzz user name change?

Q

Comments (57)
    Say what you wish about a Houzz member already having registered my user name. I don't buy it in my case or many other cases, but that's the reason they gave me. But answer me this, why is MY e-mail address not usable? Houzz claims it is already being used. Well, they are wrong. It's my e-mail address and has been used on GW since 1998 when it was THS. Plus, it is the one that I have been communicating with Houzz to remedy my user name and my requests for them to unlock my e-mail address for my usage.. It is my opinion the notification plan was poorly done. and the migration plan was even worse. DA
    ...See More

thanks Houzz people

Q

Comments (23)
    You let the turtle GO?!?!?? Sorry, I know that's not the topic of this thread or this forum, but really! You have fed this turtle for how long and then released it to find its own food? I know I'm sounding harsh - I'm just aghast. Animals that have been cared for by humans, and who depend upon humans to provide food and shelter, Do. Not. Adapt. to being let out in the wild. Sorry for taking that ball she dropped and running with it. PLEASE try to find your turtle and take it someplace where it'll be taken care of. Now back to our regularly scheduled program ....
    ...See More

West Coast Get-Together Dates/Info

Q

Comments (33)
    I responded to the other thread that was above this one a few minutes ago....I thought it said Nov 9 or 10. Is the 3rd still being considered? that would be my first pick. possibly the next weekend would work.....
    ...See More
  • Brad Smith
    4 years ago

That's odd. I've only been here less than six months, but I always had to scroll down to see the latest. And yeah, this is definitely one of the least user-friendly forum software implementations I've seen. :-(

• lyfia
    4 years ago

I think you mean newest comment is now at the top, but either way I agree it is annoying. Although I noticed when I posted last night that then it went back to the old order of placing the oldest at the top and newest at the bottom. Lots of scrolling back and forth especially with longer posts. Not a good format for a message board.

I agree with Momofthree Ma that having cookies etc. to recognize where you were last would be a nice feature so as to not have to scroll through things you've already read and work better than the bottom up approach.

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    4 years ago

The most recent comments have always been at the end of the thread for as long as I've been on the forum.

It's a pain to scroll through if using your phone (which I generally do, which accounts for a lot of my misspellings), but simple on my desk top computer--just hit the "end" button and the computer automatically goes to the end of the thread.

• Nidnay
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

When using phone (and app), to quickly get to the end of the thread (bottom of the page), just double tap on any text and it should take you immediately to the bottom of the page. This is only if you are using the app. No help for browser use.

And interestingly, they have not changed the order of things in the app....newest comments are still on the bottom.

Maybe this is Houzz’s attempt to make things easier for browser use because they couldn’t figure out how to add an option to quickly get to the bottom of the page, so reversed things with the newest comment on top.

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    4 years ago

Wow and double wow! I just came back to this thread...and newest comments are now located at the...TOP!

Wow!

Nidnay, thanks for the "double tap" hint. But I don't use the app and hate the constant nag ware to download it. It makes scrolling an art form to avoid and work around the "download the app" advertising.

UGH!

• doc5md
    4 years ago

Yeah, I think the OP meant the TOP. I agree its a weird change.

• pink_peony
    4 years ago

Even if I “try” to read these in the new order they make no sense. It’s as if some are missing. I can’t follow a thread. I raad references to other users in a comment but then can’t find the user named to see what that comment was talking about . This whole site as become so f- @&$?! Up that it’s more aggravating than helpful or entertaining.

• Ig222
    4 years ago

@nidnay

When using phone (and app), to quickly get to the end of the thread (bottom of the page), just double tap on any text and it should take you immediately to the bottom of the page.

I have seen several people say that, but when I double tap on a text, all it does is activate the COPY mode (both on my tablet and phone). I am on iOS. And yes, I can see the latest text first on my desktop and it is very annoying.

• Nidnay
    4 years ago

Lg222....are you using the app?? This function only works with the app.

• pink_peony
    4 years ago

And will add That you start at last comment but then have to scroll through all the comments to post a comment. That makes a ton of sense ......insert sarcasm here.

• bpath
    4 years ago

UNader an initial post I see a few “buttons”. If I tap/click on “Comment”, it takes me right to the bottom of the thread. Very quick, except when someone has a really long initial post lol.

• NewEnglandgal
    4 years ago

On the JUly Building Thread the newest are near the bottom but not at the bottom so you have to go look through all the comments to find them. So annoying. I hope they fix this glitch. As someone else mentioned using a Samsung, once you hit the spacebar your first word deletes but if you have the app, it does not.

• Nidnay
    4 years ago

bpath Oh Sophie....ha....never noticed that one. There you go Virgil.

• shead
    4 years ago

This is so odd because I've always seen newest comments at the bottom for as long as I've been around (6+ years) but this morning, they were at the top when using my phone and on another thread when using this PC. However, on this thread, newest comments are at the bottom like always. WEIRD.

• One Devoted Dame
    4 years ago

I was wondering, when I clicked on the little notifications bell, seeing that Mark had liked a comment in a different thread (yay!)... and then saw my response *above* his (when, last night, it was below), even though my post was 8 hours later. Momentarily confusing; still uncomfortable.

And once I pieced together that the whole forum was like this, I'm like, "Yeah, no. I don't have time for this kind of headache." I have *never* been on a forum where you had to scroll to the bottom and read the thread in reverse.

It's bad enough that they do that on news websites, for the comments section (BBC.com comes to mind), but at least I have the option of sorting by Oldest First. Newest First feels like I've intruded into a conversation and am not welcome to toss in my two pennies. :-/

Edited to add:

Some threads are now Newest First, some are Oldest First. Maybe everything's being fixed manually? :-O

• Nidnay
    4 years ago

This becomes ridiculously confusing for those of us who regularly use both the app and a browser and are also on mobile devices, because the app still has the newest comment on the bottom of the thread, but browsers have it at the top. Add to that the fact that when receiving an email notification and clicking on “see comment”, sometimes it directs you to the app and sometimes a browser. So you never really know where you are. “Oh, am I using a browser.....go to the top of the page...oh wait, I’ve been directed to the app, so must go down to the bottom”. Ridiculous.

• bpath
    4 years ago

If you use the gardenweb url, are the newest comments at the bottom? And if you use the Houzz url, are the newest comments at the top?

• DLM2000-GW
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Yes of course I flipped my original post and worded it wrong. When I wrote that the newest postswere displaying at the TOP. Now it's back to newest at the end, at least on my phone. Sorry for the confusion.

• D N
    4 years ago

I thought it was just me. I started a thread on Using You-Know-Where, but it's not displaying yet. Doubtless requiring moderator review to remove any dissing. If it ever shows up, I'll add the link to this thread.

Particularly annoying is reading the most recent review at the top and then scrolling to the bottom to reply. Some of us don't have very long attention spans and lose track of - oh look, something shiny!

This is the most bizarrely set-up forum I've ever been on, in so many ways.

• D N
    4 years ago

@bpath oh Sophie, I'm on the houzz log-in. Too late for the "garden" days of GW.

• DLM2000-GW
    Original Author
    4 years ago

This is just crazy. In the time span of about 40 seconds I posted my response above, looked at my notifications and clicked on one for this thread. It displayed newest first. Close to that reopened to The forum found the thread and now it displays newest last. The only thing houzz is consistent about is being inconsistent. SMH

• User
    4 years ago

Its possible to add to a comment but not revise the original text. What a mess.

When the original post is long with photos its easier to go to the last comment than find where the top one.

But this will help with old threads being brought back by mistake. That is if the bugs can be fixed.

• User
    4 years ago

Its like reading each paragraph of a book one at a time starting at the bottom one and moving upward. Mindlessly stupid. It encourages only reading the last few comments. No continuity.

• User
    4 years ago

Each comment should be numbered.

• bpath
    4 years ago

Mark, try standing on your head when you post.

• Ig222
    4 years ago

It is a very silly move that makes it nearly impossible to use the tool on a desktop, and to post.

When I started typing this, I typed it in the search box as it was the closest text zone.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    4 years ago

No. 4,052 (standing on my head)

It use to be convenient to respond to the last comment without having to scroll up to the top of the thread to refer to it.

It to refer to thread the of top the to up scroll to having without comment last the to respond to convenient be to use it.

• DLM2000-GW
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Mark I bet you're loads of fun at parties - can you talk that way too? ;-)

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    4 years ago

Well, I have fun, I don't know about anybody else. Asperger's has not been diagnosed . . . yet.

• worthy
    4 years ago

Houzz's new webmaster.

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    4 years ago

Most recent comment now at top of each thread.

ECKKKKK.......

• AWINMH
    4 years ago

btw on the app on the right side I have a tiny gray scroll bar and sometimes when the phone is particularly sensitive, I can grasp it and scroll all the way to the bottom
    does anyone else have that?

• bpath
    4 years ago

Well, worthy, now you've done it, you've revealed Mark's identity. Now we can invite him to liven up our parties!

• PRO
    User
    4 years ago

Try this link. https://www.gardenweb.com/discussions/build You're welcome.

Then, click through the GW world to go to any other forum.

For some reason, if you use the GardenWeb bookmarks, things are not in Upside Down land. But Houzz is Upside Down. Is this a metaphor?

• just_janni
    4 years ago

and everywhere else in the free (forum) world, when you open a thread you've visited before it automatically takes you to the earliest UNREAD posts.

Imagine that - like a bookmark or placeholder. No scrolling - you just get there.

Welcome to 1995.

• D N
    4 years ago

I’m finding that I can’t like the latest comment. Hoping this one will let me like janni’s.

edit:

Well, well... Or maybe it’s just slow to register likes.

• Buehl
    4 years ago

Sorry The Cook's Kitchen, but that link is also converted to a "Houzz" URL.

• DLM2000-GW
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Buehl what device are you using and what browser? I have no problems on my laptop or phone when I use my bookmarked GW urls on chrome but if I switch to firefox the GW urls switch to houzz urls as the page loads.

• Buehl
    4 years ago

Google Chrome on Android phone as well as on a "desktop".

I'm not the only one. If you check the similar thread on Kitchens, you'll note that others say the same thing...GW URLs automatically changed to Houzz URLs.

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/5751775/houzz-improvement-anyone-else-notice-new-comments-appear-first#n=7

Regardless, the sorting issue has been fixed. (Other issues I've reported are either confirmed not yet fixed or unknown at this time.)

• robin0919
    4 years ago

'Newest comments on a thread are now at THE BOTTOM. Why? '

IMO....You're making no sense. NEWEST comments 'should' be at the bottom. You need to read Top to bottom....NOT....bottom to TOP........Do you only want to read the last 2 pages of a book or the Hole book?

• D N
    4 years ago

...aaaand, new comments are back at the bottom again. geeze Louise

• just_janni
    4 years ago

I am still bookmarked and rarely log out of the old Gardenweb addresses and missed this whole thing. (still took the time to complain about the lack of remembering where we left off! (ha ha!)

But - when I use my phone and have to scroll, I want to die.

• DLM2000-GW
    Original Author
    4 years ago

IMO....You're making no sense. NEWEST comments 'should' be at the bottom. You need to read Top to bottom....NOT....bottom to TOP........Do you only want to read the last 2 pages of a book or the Hole book?

Dearest robin0919 - sigh....had YOU read the Whole (notice the W) thread you would have seen my follow-up comment from yesterday morning that I mis-wrote what I intended.

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    4 years ago

Robin holds the record for most mis-spellings and exclamation marks...

• lyfia
    4 years ago

And today it is back like it used to be. I was just getting used to the other format.

• One Devoted Dame
    4 years ago

This is sooo good. It was too much of a pain in the backside to browse the forums at my leisure -- since reading in reverse, or upside down standing on my head, or whatever, wasn't fun -- so I decided to check once per day, to see if things had been fixed.

That said, I'll probably make myself scarce, anyway, over the next few days... I've got 2 kids' birthdays coming up. :-D