SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
arkansas_girl

Do you brush your dog's teeth?

arkansas girl
4 years ago

I've been brushing my dog's teeth for a couple of years now after an exam noticed she had a broken tooth that was ugly and brown. So, since brushing them, it looks a whole lot better. Trying to extend its life as long as possible so she doesn't have to have it pulled!!!!! She doesn't have great teeth probably because she had to have a lot of antibiotics and other meds when she was a young pup.

Wondering if you brush your dog's teeth? I had been buying the Nylabone brand toothpaste and she begs every evening to have me brush her teeth with some treats (of course). It's the treats she really wants I'm sure. I ran out of her regular toothpaste and bought some Arm and Hammer brand at Petsmart. She immediately acted like she didn't want her teeth brushed any more. I thought that maybe she was weird because of the change of flavor, it was supposed to be "chicken flavored". So after a few days of her not begging to have her teeth brushed any more, I decided to taste it and see what the big deal was. So, I put a tiny spot of it on my tongue and it was really a strong peppermint taste and had that really coldness that mint has. Well, no wonder she didn't like it, it tasted like people toothpaste. So, I had to go and buy her old kind at Pet Supplies Plus and now she's back to begging again. I wonder why these companies would think that a dog would like a strong peppermint toothpaste and then label it "chicken flavored"? She probably hated that cold feeling the mint leaves in her mouth. Even when I brush my own teeth, food tastes terrible until the mint taste goes away.

Comments (23)