SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stillpitpat

Marmoleum installation woes

stillpitpat
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Our floor was installed in Nov (I think) of 2018, and while I love the color, it wasn't installed correctly. We chose glue-down tiles instead of sheet because I had read nightmares about installing sheets, and I didn't care a lot if it looked continuous (or whatever the right word is). Initially our GC (who we were happy with, aside from some internal communication issues) said he didn't know anyone who could install it, but then he came back and said his regular flooring guy could. He seemed perfectly confident. The day the flooring guy came, he did ask what direction I wanted the tiles laid - alternating or continuous. I was a little surprised he didn't already have some instructions for that. Iirc, I said I didn't have a strong opinion and asked what he thought. I said I thought I had heard that they were supposed to alternate but wasn't committed to that. He and his assistant thought they should aim for a more continuous look, and I said that was fine. He put down the Marmoleum as well as our foyer penny tile floor. He seemed very proud of himself for installing it all in one day, and he said we couldn't walk on either for 24 hours, which we followed.

Well, after we moved into the kitchen in Dec, it became apparent that there was something wrong with the seams. They were a little open in places, and dirt would go right in there and collect. The floor wasn't completely smooth/even. At this point, I asked about that on here, and people said the installer should have heat sealed (welded?) the seams, but it was clear he didn't. I read some of the installation instructions online, and thought I saw that heat sealing was not always necessary. I reached out to the designer and GC. GC came back and said that the subfloor was definitely done correctly and that the floor installer said that he had installed the tiles correctly, but OF COURSE the guys who did the subfloor and the flooring installer said they did it right. GC said they'd reach out to Forbo b/c they thought there was something wrong with the tiles. I thought that was unlikely, but I went on with my life and have greatly enjoyed my kitchen. The designer was here early this week, and she had been in contact with Forbo, including sending them pictures. And guess what? The installer laid the tiles wrong. They are supposed to alternate, and in a very specific way. The tiles have a little lip or something on some sides, and they are supposed to be laid in such a way that that lip overlaps the seam. The edges are not supposed to butt up together. I think something may have changed with the tiles in the last 2 years, which is why I read that the heat seaming is not actually necessary. Maybe it was before they added the "lips" to the tiles? Anyway, the guy did it wrong, and the only way to fix it is to rip it all out and redo. I asked the designer who would be paying for that if we went that route, and she said she needed to talk to the GC (who she does have a relationship with) and her boss, the design firm's owner. ETA: you are also not supposed to walk on them for 72 hours, not 24 as he said.

One thing that makes me nervous is that the installer did ask me which direction to lay the tiles. Does that make me responsible for this somewhat? I really don't remember exactly what I said, but I know at the time I was thinking about aesthetics, not the technical aspect of it, and I didn't know the specific instructions anyway. Isn't that on him, as the installer (pleasesayyespleasesayyespleasesayyes)?? At the same time, I do think I said something like "I heard they should alternate but what do you think would look good?" I remember wishing that that had been made clear in advance because I don't like having to make those decisions on the spot, and I felt pressured. Does it even matter what I said? I mean sure, if I said "I know Forbo says you should alternate in a specific way but I am telling you that I require them to be installed so the pattern looks continuous" that would be 100% on me, but that is very very far from what I said (and I didn't know any of that info anyway). I basically went along with their aesthetic suggestion.

How worried should I be? And should I consider leaving the floor alone and getting some money back?

(apologies for the splotches on the floor)

Comments (6)