SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kathleen_smith6227819

Heat advisory

Kathsgrdn
4 years ago

in Central Kentucky for today through Sunday. I was going to do some work outside, trimming hedges/trees but I guess I'll wait until next week. We did get a little rain yesterday, which was nice. Are you under a heat advisory today?

Comments (58)

• Elmer J Fudd
    4 years ago

Okay, I see. Word order matters, Janie, I couldn't follow it.

I would have understood "The same here too in CT" but with CT first, that was the subject and she was saying CT was going to be where she was too.

• maifleur01
    4 years ago

Unlike Lonejack I actually had about a 5 minute drizzle yesterday. Just enough to take some of the particulate matter out of the air. Currently back down to 97 from 99 about an hour ago when I went outside. There was a very strong breeze out of the South/Southwest that was making the smaller trees bend halfway to the ground. About time to take another stroll.

• Related Discussions

• schoolhouse_gwagain
    4 years ago

90 and over days ahead for us. To mow or not to mow? Would rather not during hot sun -for the grass's sake and mine. Rain predicted on Sunday, so it may be a few days before I can get the mower out. I think better safe than sorry.

• gadgets
    4 years ago

Same heat prediction for my part of Ohio. But we've had plenty of rain, things are still muddy from the frequent heavy downpours.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    4 years ago

The actual temperature here at the house it is 101. The heat warnings have been issued. It is deadly hot. I feel so bad for those who have to work outside.

• jemdandy
    4 years ago

An organization that monitors electric power usage in north central US plus Manitoba has issued an advisory that the power grid might be overrun the next 2 days. Power outages may occur.

• maifleur01
    4 years ago

Over the weekend although I did not sign up for the program our local electric company started rolling brownouts where the reduce the amount of electricity going to their customers. I noticed it when the fan that I use reduced its speed and then again the next two days when my cpap machine only registered 3 hours. While it still worked, I hope, it was disconcerting to see the record. The wind has reduced the humidity which was one of the reasons that people lowered their thermostats during the weekend causing the extra usage.

• Kathsgrdn
    Original Author
    4 years ago

With the heat index right now it's 99 here. Have my thermostat set at 78 and I'm perfectly comfortable. I do need to water the garden later, maybe run a quick errand but other than that all my activities will be indoors.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    4 years ago

We're not even close to a heat advisory here on the coast. 65F, partly sunny and somewhat breezy. Better than yesterdays all day rain, although trees and lawn were saying Thank You then. I think we may have about 5F warmer tomorrow and over the weekend. My nephew would like to paint the exterior of his new build this weekend and should be good weather for that. Not that I was planning to help, his mom and dad, MIL and FIL can do that ;0)

• chisue
    4 years ago

We had a welcome downpour for a good two hours this morning on the west side of Lake Michigan north of Chicago, but the sun was out by noon. We're to have 101 tomorrow and Saturday with lower temps late Sunday and into next week. Worst part is *no cooling* overnights. We're chasing heat records set here in 1934 (Dust Bowl era). I saw linemen beefing up capacity on poles along a highway yesterday and pantomimed applause to them!

• maifleur01
    4 years ago

Only 104 outages so far today. This area had so many strong storms earlier this year that most of the lines that would break have been repaired but there are always some every day. All the recent ones have been equipment failures and not lines down.

• Michael
    4 years ago

Hot and humid in central Ohio. I spent a few hours creeking with the grandsons. We creek in a shaded ravine where it's cool and buggy. Fun!

• cooper8828
    4 years ago

Heat advisory is on for today and tomorrow so far. It's 105 out right now. I will be watering later, much later. :)

• skibby (zone 4 Vermont)
    4 years ago

Ours is to begin tomorrow, although today was plenty warm. We will only have two days until the humidity drops on Sunday. Just in case though, I have plenty of fruit (Rainier cherries, watermelon, peaches, black raspberries) and some gelato. Nice to have when it's too hot to cook. :)

• Elmer J Fudd
    4 years ago

"Anal retentive much Elmer? Or just a person who likes to nitpick for the fun of it?"

No, not at all. If someone says something I don't understand, I ask. How about you, you're happy to see or hear something you don't follow but remain puzzled?

Thanks for your sincere concern.

• nickel_kg
    4 years ago

Michael, what do you "creek"? Some of my happy times were spent in my late FIL's mountain property, following the creek, looking at rocks, salamanders, minnows, observe how the water wears away the rock and the streambed. Same for you and your grands?

Friday, Saturday and Sunday are going to be our hot days. It's still a good 5 to 10 degrees cooler here in the valley than it was at our old home nearer the coast, so it doesn't seem all that bad. But it's sensible for people and pets to lay low during the heat of the day, so that's what we'll do.

• schoolhouse_gwagain
    4 years ago

When we were kids, we did that too. We would put on old tennis shoes or whatever old shoes we had and "walk the creek" way up sometimes to town. My little brother would catch crabs (we called them crabs, I know - they are crayfish) and holler "Lobstoe for dinnoe!" He couldn't pronounce his "ers" very well at the age. lol

Well, the temp has cooled here a bit but the humidity is still high. I went down front and weeded a couple roses and came back hot and sweaty. Whew.

• Michael
    4 years ago

nickel_kg,

Shale Hollow Preserve in central Ohio.

Shale Hollow

• dedtired
    4 years ago

Stinking hot here in SEPA and humidity you could cut with a knife. We have had booming thunderstorms with impressive lightning . Any yard work will have to wait until next week. Haven’t had to water in awhile. I do grab a few weeds whe I go out for the mail, that’s about it.

Gardengal, please keep those cooler temps for me in August when my friends and I visit your neck of the woods. Cant wait to escape this heat.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    4 years ago

LOL!! August does tend to be our hottest - and driest - month. But it's all relative :-) August-hot here is not anything like August-hot in most other locations and we usually have daytime temps in the upper 70's, maybe low 80's, rarely much warmer. And nicely cool at night.

A/C's are not big accessories here. My current car is the only one I've ever owned that had air conditioning and its rare to find many houses that do. Just not a lot of need :-)

• nickel_kg
    4 years ago

Michael, what a great park. I love stuff like that.

• Kathsgrdn
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Everyone who is in the heat zone, stay safe! Just watered my garden a little bit ago, front and back. It's a little cooler than it was and the sun was going down. Took me about a half hour in the air conditioning to quit sweating. Yuck. I feel like I need another shower now.

• marilyn_c
    4 years ago

I suppose we are under a heat advisory.

It is in the 90's. Probably not quite as hot as at Raven's in Houston. We are closer to the bay and get a little breeze...hot though it may be.

I have been outside all week...preparing to move.

• greenshoekitty
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

It may get hot next week, but not like most places ,I am as others in the pnw. I thought of all of you heat wave people when I put on a sweater to go to the store this afternoon. 80 is heat wave warning . Seattle gets about 10 to 15 degrees hotter then I do..

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    4 years ago

Awful heat and humidity here, too. Very dry - rained here for about 5 minutes yesterday. I’m very grateful for AC and an in-ground sprinkler system. I’m running it daily now for 10 minutes per zone - May increase to 15 tomorrow. Even with watering, grass is going dormant from the heat and looks lousy.

• artemis_ma
    4 years ago

Heat advisory for Saturday here. Not going to be nice by mid day or so today (Friday) either. Pulling myself out of bed in 30 minutes to do nasty chores like cleaning out the chicken coop.

If I wanted Florida weather, I'd have moved there!

• lucillle
    4 years ago

There is a scary article about a hiker dying in the Big Bend National Park with a warning that activity in high temps may lead to death even if one drinks water. I am temporarily curtailing my bicycle riding, and Duchess and I are not going to the dog park.

• graywings123
    4 years ago

I resorted to wearing my FrogTogg to walk the dog around the block yesterday afternoon.

• nickel_kg
    4 years ago

Heat and humidity arrived today as promised. Our dog has already been in the pond, we will let her in the house as soon as she dries off a bit.

• happy2b…gw
    4 years ago

Wunderground reports that it is 94, but my home weather station reads 107 in the sun. It feels blazing hot.

• schoolhouse_gwagain
    4 years ago

Heat index was 100 here around 8pm. Everyone was mowing, I guess because of the threat of a severe thunderstorm. I never did find out if our county was included in that threat or when the storm was suppose to roll in.

Anyway, my grass could be mowed but it's not absolutely necessary but I'd be ahead of the rain that is def. suppose to come in tomorrow PM and on Sunday. At 8:15p I thought I could quick jump on the mower and at least do the orchard, around the garden, and behind the house before it got dark. So I walked outside to check the grass again. Whew! No way! It felt like a sauna. I decided not to mow tonight. I'll take my chances and try tomorrow morning if the grass isn't wet.

• desertsteph
    4 years ago

no warnings here. except maybe for visitors. it's been down to 106-108. so normal for us. but I don't like the hot as much as I get older. I like it between 65-75. I'd be fine with that year around.

• DawnInCal
    4 years ago

I do not like summer heat, but the weather has been really nice here this year. It is a little after 7:30p.m. and the temp is 78 degrees which I find to be perfect. The forecast calls for it to start heating up this week with a high of 102 on Thursday and 100 on Friday. We are going to spend the month of August on the coast mainly to escape the heat. I was beginning to wonder if that would not be necessary, but with that forecast, I am glad we reserved the house we are renting. The temps have been in the mid to high 60's over there with sunny conditions and a light wind. Time to get out of Dodge!

• maifleur01
    4 years ago

Still 90F at 10:00 with 56% humidity. I have been taking care of Japanese Beetles and do a circuit several times a day. Yesterday when it was a higher temperature it was hot but not unbearable. Today even the wind felt hot. May have rain Sunday which is good as I noticed the ground under one of the oaks had a crack.

• Cherryfizz
    4 years ago

111 F heat index Saturday, I am staying in. It was hot and humid today but was nice sitting on the porch tonight until the mosquitos came out. A few days ago our hydro was out from 10 pm to 3 am from a tree branch falling and taking out a feeder line. I was okay for a few hours without the fan and the a/c but started to panic a bit when my asthma kicked in. I didn't know why the power was out and I didn't have the land line plugged in so my cordless phones didn't work so I couldn't call the utility to find out when the power would be back on. I had a transistor radio and there was only music on the 2 local stations. My flashlights were dim as was my lantern. I will be more prepared for the next power outage if one happens. I will take winter weather any day. I don't enjoy the heat and hot sun at all. Stay cool

• maifleur01
    4 years ago

cherryfizz see if you can find a crank lantern or flashlight. It will not help with the rest but they will give you light. I would suggest candles but not with asthma. You may not have the same reaction that I have but I was fine with the older candles made from petroleum products but not with the newer soybean based ones.

Edited to ask if you had fan and a/c you should have had electricity since both use it to run unless you meant to say without fan and a/c.

• Cherryfizz
    4 years ago

Yes Maifleur, I did mean to type "without" thanks, I just corrected it. I don't burn candles but I did have battery operated candles. Next time I go out I am getting batteries for the flashlight and lantern.

• Jasdip
    4 years ago

We've had a stretch of heat and high humidity. People are really feeling it. It's ugly.

Our Rib and Beerfest is on this weekend, and there are grillers from all over. It is in the paper today that a girl from Alabama said the temperature is 'cool' compared to the southern States but the humidity is far worse than where they live.

• schoolhouse_gwagain
    4 years ago

Well......it's 8:23am and I doubt my plan to mow today will be fulfilled. The sky is awful dark to the North. And it's very, very humid. To the neighbors I'll just be that crazy lady in the schoolhouse who didn't mow her yard like the rest of us. :)

• Kathsgrdn
    Original Author
    4 years ago

It's 8:30 am, 81 degree 80% humidity...feels like 95 according to my phone. Usually walk at work, not today

• chisue
    4 years ago

We're supposed to cool off tonight or Sunday when wind starts to come down Lake Michigan from the north. Beastly hot and humid yesterday and today with SW winds. We're cool inside with the A/C at 78F and the dehumidifiers cranking in the basement. We ran the irrigation system before midnight -- just on the flowers. This morning DH is spraying the honeysuckle for fungus, trying to get ahead of it.

• maifleur01
    4 years ago

We are supposed to have storms tonight and perhaps tomorrow. If we do they will be violent.

I had to laugh at the spraying the honeysuckle as it is one of my worst plants along with wild trumpet and clematis vine.

• schoolhouse_gwagain
    4 years ago

Beating a dead horse, but I'll post anyway - I ended up mowing the whole place. It was 85 degrees out at noon, but there was a great breeze and it didn't feel so hot.

However, when I got to the orchard and started to mow.....the lever that raises the deck and mowing height quit working. I kept wondering why only one strip of grass was being cut. The deck was way up on one side, way down on the other and I couldn't adjust. I finished mowing anyway. At least it happened when that was the last area to mow.

So Monday gotta call the shop. The mower should still be under warranty but we'll see if they call if "operator's error" or defect. ha (operator is defected too) ; )

• functionthenlook
    4 years ago

Hot, hot, hot today and tomorrow, the high Monday only 74. Wacky weather is normal for us though.

• maifleur01
    4 years ago

While unlikely the metal that is used could have simply became overheated in one area and it seized. If tomorrow it is fine that is probably what has happened but it is always good to check it out.

• lucillle
    4 years ago

I couldn't stand it, got out and did some cycling this morning. Was only able to last 30 minutes though before feeling hot and exhausted, so I'm back in my cool apartment.

• sprtphntc7a
    4 years ago

upper 90's here with Real Feel about 105.... after u reach 100, does is matter...???

hung clothes this morning, everything dry in under an hour

we are staying inside the rest of the day, there is no air to breathe, just awful and so unhealthy...

this will continue till tomorrow night and monday some relief!!

ugh, bring on Fall and much cooler temps!!!

• hcbm
    4 years ago

HI, here in NYC my car said it is 102, but the weather forecaster is saying 96 with a real feel of 111. All the cement and asphalt just holds the heat. We haven't had a heat wave like this in 6 years. Kids are playing in the fire hydrant a block away from me. Yes, as long as you get a sprinkler cap from the fire department you can run the hydrant in hot weather. However, I haven't seen that in at least 20 years. I wish I had the nerve to jump in. The kids looked like they were having the time of their lives.

• secsteve
    4 years ago

We're under heat advisory until Monday and have been since Friday. Ain't no joke. Take the girls out early in the am and they literally veg all day. The a/c helps, but the minute you go out the door it's like getting hit with a wet blanket.

Just got back in from their last call and it's a balmy 87 but feels like 98. Ugh.