SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
berkeleysgr8

Tobacco Mosaic Virus- advice needed!

berkeleysgr8
4 years ago

I just returned home from a two and a half week vacation. While I was away, my mother graciously did a LOT of yard work and repotted many of my bulbs. Unfortunately, since returning home, I see clear evidence that several bulbs have clear signs of TMV- I guess the heat of summer brought out the symptoms. Last year I threw out several pots of bulbs that had TMV and I moved others away from my main growing area out of suspicion they may be infected. Here's the problem... my mom placed all the virused bulbs and healthy bulbs together. She also repotted bulbs and very likely spread the virus. Would you throw away the obvious virused plants and take a "wait and see" approach to the remainder of the plants?

I had a half wine barrel that was brimming with false freesia (Anomatheca laxa)... they're all gone. My thyme was taken out of the wine barrel that also contains rosemary and oregano. Several other pots of bulbs are missing. My cymbium orchids are sunburned because my mom moved them from their shady homes. My lemon grass is a dried up, sunburned mess (it's very hardy... it should come back with regular watering). A pot with a very rare purple bessera elegans is gone. As are some other rare bulbs. She repotted plants together that have totally different cultural requirements in terms of both sun and soil. She repotted many of my amaryllis in some very expensive seedling mix I had purchased right before I left... it was meant for another project. It will be WAY too soggy for amaryllis! *sigh* I can't be mad about all the damage that was done because I know that all her hard work was meant as a loving and kind gesture! On the upside, my yard DOES look much tidier!

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting
More Discussions