SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
crthomson3

12 year kitchen appliance follow up

crthomson3
4 years ago

If this is of use to anyone wondering about longevity...

12 years ago we did a complete kitchen gut and I spent approximately infinity hours on here (thathomesite then) learning and benefiting from your collective wisdom. I loved how my kitchen turned out and have happily been cooking in it every since.

I came back on here the other day because my ovens suddenly died. That occasion made me wonder if it would be helpful for peeps to know how other appliances have worked over the long haul.

Bosch dishwasher (SHE47CO5UC $849) is going strong, cleans great. No repairs.

Dacor gas cooktop stainless (SGM365S $999) 5 burners, love it. Occasionally have clicking issues with the lighter, but I'll poke around and clean a bit and it goes away. no repairs

GE Microwave (JEM31SF $230). Works perfectly. Daily use for defrost, melting butter etc. no repairs

Dacor warming drawer (IW027 $749) worked perfectly when I used it. Mainly used it to warm plates for large family gatherings in the winter. To be completely honest, sort of forgot I even had it until I saw it on the receipt I'm looking at. I guess I don't entertain as much and although I was dying to have it back then, totally didn't need it and certainly don't need it now. I use that space-- It is full of yummy ingredients like dried cherries, coconut, coconut oil etc. Wouldn't get another warming drawer personally.

I have an Electrolux Icon side by side refrigerator that I moved to this house so it is more like 13-14 years old. No issues/no repairs. Has ice and water in door. Use those features, love them, keep up with changing the filter. Wouldn't get side by side again personally due to too much juggling of items.

Have double GE Monogram 30" ovens. ZET2PLSS. ($3,559) Wanted them back then for the beefy knobs and handle, reviews about convection etc. ((I had had a new Dacor range in my other house that had a touch panel (this is like 15 years ago now), and I HATED having to hold the buttons down to set the temp and the timer. Found it super annoying, so wanted knobs.)) ANYHOO, have had no issues with the Monogram ovens until last week when they suddenly went berserk and heated up to like 550 when set to 350. (Tried both top and bottom units) The whole cabinet was hot. Clearly something wrong, like SUPER HOT. Called for service the next day and was shocked to hear that they have pretty much met their life span. I turned the breaker off and tried again but this time it started smoking and I shut it down. So back in the market, but I'll make a different post about that.

Have Tapmasters in both kitchen sinks. Love love love them. Would never have even heard of them if not for this site.

Comments (9)