Good neighbor? I have one!

glenda_al

Blessed for Jeremy. Knew his parents as neighbors, long time ago. Surprised when he moved into the condo above me.

So helpful. always asks if he can do something.

Today, he cleaned the banisters that were badly needed.

Wanna share?

SaveComment18Like4
Comments (18)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
maifleur01

I have two young people from up the street that shovel my sidewalk and drive. The older young man started when he was probably a freshman or sophomore. He came to my door expecting me to say no. That was six years ago. Now his younger sister does it except when like several times last year the snow was too deep for him to go to work. She never rings my bell and shovels before I get up.

2 Likes Save    
marilyn_c

My neighbor's son is a meth addict. I am so glad to be moving away from them. She is afraid of him...and that tells me all I need to know.

2 Likes Save     Thanked by glenda_al
jane__ny

I'm the good neighbor!

My nextdoor neighbor lives alone and owns a dog. He never took care of this dog properly since he brought her home as a pup. I really had no intention of getting involved but couldn't bare what I saw going on.

He travels constantly. Very educated, teaches and writes. Lives alone in a big house with this sweet dog.

I got involved about 5 years ago taking the dog for walks and playing with her.

Now I am his go to when he goes away which is almost every 10 days for weeks at a time.

We love the dog as she is with us more than with him (at least it seems that way.)

I look after his dog, take care of his house, collect his mail, etc, etc.

At times I feel taken for granted. Other times, I remind myself I do it for the dog.

Jane

12 Likes Save     Thanked by glenda_al
DawnInCal

I'll bet the dog never takes you for granted, Jane. :-)

8 Likes Save    
ci_lantro

I have a fantastic neighbor. While my hubby was in the hospital for almost two weeks the neighbor came over and mowed our lawn and then took me to the hospital (about 45 minutes away) to collect him. Because his SUV was a lot easier for DH to get in & out of than my car.

I was going to mow the lawn but it had rained & rained & rained. For almost 2 weeks, it was either raining or the grass was too wet to mow. Then I was in the middle of another project & would be just too tired to tackle the mowing. So bless his dear heart for helping me out. I really appreciate it...and owe him Big Time!

4 Likes Save     Thanked by glenda_al
Annie Deighnaugh

My neighbor knew we were on vacation...when we came home, she had flowers on the island and a roasted chicken, a veggie dish and home made applesauce cake in the fridge waiting for us! So sweet!

5 Likes Save    
Marilyn_Sue

I have a couple different good neighbors. One couple in the winter would come over and take care of my chickens when I had them and he would get his tractor out and clear my drive of snow and of course at times she would bake cookies for me. Another neighbor family at times will fix me a whole meal and deliver to me, she is a very good cook. Yes, I have good neighbors and know if I need help all I have to do is call.

Sue

4 Likes Save    
happy2b…gw

I have good neighbors and friends on my street and in the neighborhood. I can always count on my neighbor across the street to watch the house while I am away.

3 Likes Save    
nicole___

I "was" the good neighbor.....it got waaaay out of hand!

My young athletic/they bicycle 100 mile rides, neighbors sued someone to get the money they purchased their house with...and brags about it. She also "moved-away" from her clingy children, so they would get nothing, she tells me. Tells me they/ she & her DH "DO NOT work" on their house, they give vacations priority. ha ha

Long story short....they started emailing me things "I" should fix on their property...I actually did take down a beetle hit pine tree, it was HUGE! Hours of our time! Took care of her dog/house. Wired new light fixtures for her. When I said NO, I'm NOT fixing your sprinkler system while your on vacation, this has gone too far....they called me snarky....which is now snarky bi$ch. I told a neighbor what had been going on...the neighbor called her and told her to "take care of herself!"

2 Likes Save    
HU-955941711

DW and I were away for a few days when the area got about a foot of snow. Our neighbor saw the pet sitter struggling to get to the house so she came over and shoveled the entire driveway and sidewalk.

Another neighbor heard a loud argument when a contractor was demanding payment from another elderly neighbor for work that had not been done. He walked across the street and silently stood beside him, looking like a no-nonsense pro linebacker, whereupon the contractor's crew decided to wait in the truck and the argument soon dissolved.

5 Likes Save    
graywings123

I have wonderful neighbors and am a good neighbor. We do things for one another and text crazy messages around the group. As the retired person in the group, I do a lot of the mundane things like secure packages that have been delivered. But they are all there for me in emergencies. And I borrow spices from everyone.

1 Like Save    
dedtired

Some good, some awful. The people across the street are horrible. House is falling, down, yard is a mess, truck that leaks oil, dog that threatens anyone that walks by and barks all the time. Son has mental problems and is scary.

Next to me is a family with three cute kids. All I’ve ever asked of them is to keep the dog from barking when they are not there and to please turnoff the floodlight that shines in my window at night. Nope, they won’t do any of that.

on the other hand I have neighbors who are so kind, friendly and helpful. It’s nice to live where there are people to help out and I am always available to help, too. Most of my neighbors and very thoughtful.

1 Like Save    
bpath Oh Sophie

Dedtired, your next-door family probably used to live next door to us.

We had a neighbor who was a little wacky (she trimmed her other neighbor’s bushes to improve the curb appeal of her own house) but...we were on vacation and got home late at night. The next day we were having a new oven delivered. The guys came in a plain truck and were carrying stuff in and out. I saw her striding up our walk with a baseball bat in her hands! “What are you DOING?” I yelled. She was surprised to see me, thought we were still on vacation and that we were being burglarized. I appreciated her concern but asked her just what she was going to do with that baseball bat? It was pretty funny.

3 Likes Save     Thanked by glenda_al
stacey_mb

We have wonderful neighbours. Most have lived here for many years so are very familiar to us, even though we may not have regular conversations with them. Right next door are two wonderful people - the woman is an amazing gardener and has her yard looking out of this world beautiful. Her husband enjoys yard work and cared for our lawn for two months last summer when we were away. One of the most fun things we did together was have a pot luck dinner before Christmas, then go carolling through the neighbourhood!

2 Likes Save    
Elmer J Fudd

We have good neighbors in that everyone goes about their business and are there when you need something but not if you don't. A new owner couple moved in about a year ago who are more chummy than the normal neighborhood vibe here. Both we and others found them to be obnoxious and after a few suggestions from us (and others) that they needed to turn down their enthusiasm a bit, things have settled back to normal. An example was the phone call "I wanted to let you know that I just saw a car turn into your driveway". To which I replied "Yes, that would be our dinner guests. Sorry, I need to go to open the front door. Thanks for watching our driveway but it's not necessary. "

No trashy neighbors or problems as others have related, real estate is expensive in these parts.

Save    
Chi

I've been here 6 years and don't know the neighbors well. The family right next to us is nice but they are Chinese and don't speak much English so there's a language barrier. Sometimes they ask my husband to go help them with computer or internet issues and it's funny to watch them communicate tech things with hand gestures. They always bring us nice tea as a gift which is always appreciated. Their young doctor son is living with them now so they haven't asked us for help in a while! I like having an ER doctor next door.

The lady across the street hosted a BBQ on the 4th so we went and met some more people on our street. That was pretty fun.

3 Likes Save    
OutsidePlaying

We are in a private rural area and our neighbors are great. Everyone pretty much keeps to themselves but we are all friendly if we see each other out. And several of us women walk together often and go to lunch with other neighborhood ladies on occasion. Four of our houses are on a private road and not much traffic goes by that isn’t invited. We let someone know if an unusual car will be there for something. Last weekend we were at the lake and our son called and asked to borrow our trailer which is locked in our barn. We let our neighbor know so they wouldn’t think someone was stealing it.

My DH, and sometimes I, are the ones one across the road neighbors often call with questions. They are the newest and youngest, and bought the 50 acres about 4 years ago and didn’t really know a thing about taking care of such a huge property. They have learned and just as we did with the previous owners, we often look out for each other’s property in small ways when on vacation if needed.

1 Like Save    
DawnInCal

Our closest neighbors are 1/4 mile down the road and they are the best. When we are on extended vacations, he parks his tractor across the road so that no one can go up to our house when we are gone. We don't often get people up here, but every now and then a snoopy stranger shows up despite the road being posted as private and no trespassing. In the winter, we take care of our driveway, but he plows the snow off the road all the way out to the highway to that all of the families living up here can get in and out.

We go out to dinner with them now and then, but other than that we don't really socialize. We do things for them too; it's a great relationship

On the other hand, a few years ago we had the neighbor from hell about half a mile down the road. The road goes through what was his property and I was always expecting to get shot at when I drove through there on my way in and out. He's gone now; last I heard he was living under a bridge.

1 Like Save    

Related Stories

Gardening and Landscaping Good Fences, Good Neighbors — and Good Views
See-through vertical fencing connects a yard with its surroundings while keeping children and pets safely inside
Full Story
Community Good Houses Are Good Neighbors Too
The best houses engage the world and fit into their surroundings, even while celebrating their own distinct style
Full Story
Life Good Neighbors Make Her Street Feel More Like Home
A local historian, a burglary stopper and the world’s greatest grandparents have enriched this writer’s life
Full Story
Life How to Help Your Dog Be a Good Neighbor
Good fences certainly help, but be sure to introduce your pup to the neighbors and check in from time to time
Full Story
Life Simple Acts: The Unsung Power of a Good Neighbor
There are many ways to be a good neighbor, and they're often easier than you think
Full Story
Community Portrait of a Terribly Good Neighbor
Sometimes the best kind of neighbor isn't the kind you'd expect
Full Story
Community 6 Tips for Teaching Your Kids to Be Good Neighbors
Everyone wins when your children learn to respect boundaries, get help when they need it and show others they care
Full Story
Feel-Good Home Be a Good Neighbor: 7 Ways to Make the Most of the Coming Weekend
Share your tomato harvest, upgrade your grilling zone, tackle a big chore and then relax in a hammock
Full Story
Landscape Design 9 Low-Growing Hedges That Make Good Neighbors
Define garden areas or borders without blocking the view, with these evergreen shrubs that take kindly to trimming
Full Story