Chicken pox from shingles?

schoolhouse_gwagain

I was going to post under the shingles shot thread, but I'll start it here.

A friend has just been diagnosed with shingles. Her brother, for whom she is a caregiver (he is handicapped), told me he came down with the chicken pox and said he got it from his sister's shingles. I didn't know this could happen.

SaveComment8Like
Comments (8)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Michael

The varicella-zoster virus also causes shingles.
Chickenpox can be spread from people with shingles to others who have
never had chickenpox or received the chickenpox vaccine. This can happen
through close contact with someone who has shingles.

Shingles & Chickenpox - CDC

3 Likes Save    
PRO
Anglophilia

It doesn't happen very often - it requires very close personal contact and some open sores. I would guess someone who is giving close personal care would be at higher risk.

I hope your friend promptly got treatment for her shingles. The meds really make a huge difference in the severity and pain of shingles, as well as any postherpetic neuralgia. As someone who has had shingles twice - the first time at age 13 when there were no treatments, and again 19 years ago when there were, I can promise you it is night and day with meds. It's a disease I never again want to have and yes, I've had both vaccines to prevent it.

1 Like Save    
Uptown Gal

I had the shingles vaccine (both), and about 3 years later, I came down with

about 3 patches of shingles on my lower back. I thought it couldn't possibly

be shingles...when to Dr...yep, it sure was. She gave me prescription for

meds, and they stopped itching, paining, almost immediately. The patches

themselves took about 2 weeks to go completely away. The Pharmacist

told me, "what's worse...you could get them again. The meds aren't guaranteed". I asked him why he thought it took so long to get them after

the vaccine and he said, "they absolutely didn't know, but the newer vaccine

(the second shot I had), they believe is much more effective". AND..to make it

worse....I had chicken pox as a child, and a pretty bad case.

Save    
jewels_ks

I had a physical the other day and I talked to my dr. about the shingles vaccine. He said he recommends the vaccines but the company is unable to make the product fast enough. He said his clinic is unable to get any of the vaccine and that Walgreens gets some sometimes.

Save    
chisue

Any doctor treating patients for shingles should inform them that they are contagious until after the scabs are shed and the lesions are healing. Patients should stay away from pregnant women and people with compromised immune systems -- let alone open sores.

Anyone who even suspects he or she has shingles should be seen immediately. Starting anti-herpes meds within 72 hours of onset helps a lot -- and you don't want to infect anyone with the pox.

Save    
schoolhouse_gwagain

Thanks for the info Michael.

I

Save    
Michael

jewels, I got my first & second dose at Walgreens. They have a waiting list. A phone call will get you on it.

Save    
watchmelol

I am toward the end of my second bout of shingles within 3 months. The first was on the left side of my scalp and brow. I was mostly worried about my eye. Took anti virals for a week and ibuprofen for the pain and it's anti inflammatory properties. Don't know if the Famciclovir did any good since it was a bit late by the time my shingles was confirmed.

Now I have them mostly on my right shoulder blade down to mid back. They are almost gone.

With my head shingles there was intense shooting hot iron pain that came and went intermittently. I still get a few shorter bouts of that. The ones on the back created more deep muscle and joint pain in the area. The former was a lot more intense but the latter is far more annoying and disabling. The worst for me is the flu like feeling of fatigue.

Best thing for the itching is Calmoseptine. It's OTC but I had to order online since local stores didn't carry it. Goopy, zinc based stuff but it really works.

Save    

Related Stories

My Houzz Silicon Valley Chickens Are Ruling the Roost
Check out how these 4 homeowners and their chickens are surprisingly at home in a high-tech world
Full Story
Pets Raise the Roost: You Won’t Believe These Next-Level Chicken Coops
With designs as fresh as the eggs they house, these 8 creative coops are worth crowing about
Full Story
Houzz Tours Houzz Tour: Shingle-Style Massachusetts Home With a Global Outlook
A rich mélange of African, midcentury modern and vintage treasures adds depth to a colorful new home with water views
Full Story
Backyard Ideas Is a Backyard Chicken Coop Right for You?
Find out the features to include in a backyard chicken coop, and see how to build or buy one
Full Story
Backyard Ideas She Built a Chicken Coop and Was Surprised by What Happened Next
A Southern California homeowner and animal lover shares her building tips and advice on raising happy backyard hens
Full Story
Pets Houzz Call: Show Us Your One-of-a-Kind Chicken Coops
Do you have a fun or stylish backyard shelter for your feathered friends? Post your pictures and stories in the Comments!
Full Story
Farm Your Yard 4 Farm-Fresh Chicken Coops in Urban Backyards
These Atlanta henhouses are worth crowing about for their charming, practical designs
Full Story
Most Popular Get Ideas From the Top My Houzz Tours of 2015
Meet the DIY design-savvy personalities behind your favorite homes this year who know how to rock color and maximize square footage
Full Story
Backyard Studios 11 Nominees for the ‘She Shed’ Hall of Fame
These special sanctuaries let busy women get away from it all without leaving the backyard
Full Story