SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
purslanegarden

When is it safe to water my plumeria plant?

4 years ago

I bought a plumeria from a local nursery. They didn't seem to know that it shouldn't be watered too much, and when I bought it, the growing medium was very wet. A short time after I bought it, I could tell that the plant was beginning to suffer from over-watering, since the branches were becoming less firm and even wrinkly-looking.

However, I did not give up. I tried to change the medium and saw that there are only about 1-2 cm long roots ... not even that many root hairs, though. More like about 3-4 root hairs. However, it has put up pretty nice top growth for just that amount. I am sure the grower probably had them in some good green house conditions to get them ready for sale, but in my case, I don't have such a thing.

I have put it into a new growing medium, and have not watered it for over 3 weeks now. The plant is still doing OK but I am concerned that I might be withholding water for too long.

When is it safe to water the plumeria plant again? I keep seeing something about when it puts out a few leaves, it's safe to water. However, this particular example, has plenty of leaves, and it still has negative effects from the nursery giving it water...maybe every day since that is probably their habit in keeping their plants alive.

So it's possible I might be able to water it once a week or once every 2 weeks, but I am not sure of the watering schedule needed at this stage of its life. I would not want it to get worse if I can help it.

Thanks in advance!

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville