Shrimp salad for garden club meeting

ravencajun Zone 8b TX

We are having a get together tomorrow, everyone is to bring some type of salad. I found this new to me recipe and thought it sounded good. I added a few things to make it mine. I added a tablespoon of soft cream cheese and a couple of tablespoons of a Greek Dill yogurt dressing. I used quite a bit of fresh dill and scallions. I added a little bit of lime juice and zest too. I got a fresh bakery loaf thin Sliced French bread to go with it.
https://www.delish.com/cooking/recipe-ideas/a19694857/best-shrimp-salad-recipe/
It's very good, very easy, and I wish I had made some for us for dinner lol.

SaveComment25Like2
Comments (25)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
happy2b…gw

The shrimp salad recipe is basically how I make it. I think your added ingredients kick it up a notch. Your lunch guests will enjoy it.

1 Like Save    
nicole___

Shrimps on sale right now. I book marked it! Thank you.

Save    
Elmer J Fudd

The linked recipe looks tasty.

Do note that there are many people who don't like the taste combination of seafood anything with dairy anything. So with fish or seafood, many wouldn't be happy with the addition of any kind of cheese or yogurt. I'm one of them.

Yeah, I know, someone will add "I always put cheese on ...... " and I'm sure many do. I just thought I would point out it's not a combination everyone likes.

1 Like Save    
ravencajun Zone 8b TX

Well it is a salad and has Mayo in it.

1 Like Save    
Elmer J Fudd

Mayonnaise is a dairy-free product. I'm not sure what your point is.

Mayo is often used in seafood salads of various types. A simple salad popular in my area (not sure how well known it is elsewhere) is the Louie, Most commonly as Shrimp or Crab Louie, it's traditionally made with "Louie dressing", a variant of Thousand Island dressing which has mayonnaise as its base. And, of course, with no cheese in it or on it

1 Like Save    
glenda_al

ravencajun Zone 8b TX Sounds delicious! Thanks for sharing !

Save    
blfenton

Just to clarify - did you use both the lemon juice/zest and the lime juice/zest or did you substitute the lime for the lemon?

Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

Thanks for the reminder...I have a gal coming for lunch and wasn't sure what to serve. This is the shrimp salad I usually make...like the tang/spice of the old bay and worcestershire sauce.

https://www.food.com/recipe/shrimp-salad-119096

Save    
ravencajun Zone 8b TX

I used both lemon and lime zest and juice. I happened to have some really nice limes was the only reason. And I love both.

I put old bay seasoning on the shrimp when I was cooking them.

My mother used to make the best shrimp dip. It was made with cream cheese as many dips are, and Dill. I wanted to give the dressing a little bit of flavor and body which is why I added a little bit of cream cheese and I had just bought a new bottle of the Greek Dill dressing, it added a little bit of creamy Dill flavor.

But I think it would be perfectly fine just as the recipe is. I had a lot of shrimp in my freezer, glad to have a new good way to use some this summer.

2 Likes Save    
Rusty

Thank you for the link, Raven, it sounds delicious, so I've bookmarked it. I'm also making a note of your changes, as I really like the sound of them.

Let us know how your group liked it.

I have a couple of dip recipes that use cream cheese and shrimp and/or crab, or even clams. No one I've ever offered them to has ever turned them down.

Rusty

1 Like Save    
tigereye

I like this crawfish dip. I use a 12 oz package instead of 16 oz, because that is all I can find.

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/chunky-crawfish-spread/

Save    
ravencajun Zone 8b TX

Oh I would like that crawfish dip! Yum!

Save    
morz8

Raven, that salad looks wonderful. A little similar to Ina Garten's that I've made and always a hit. In an emergency, to make the Garten/Barefoot Contessa salad stretch for a large crowd, I've added just a little cooked pasta and it still gets rave reviews. Your lime would be a good taste with it too...

Barefoot Contessa's Shrimp Salad

Save    
tigereye

I just saved this entire post!

Save    
ravencajun Zone 8b TX

Well I am back home and there's not a single morsel left in my dish so I guess they liked it! My husband was hoping I would bring some back for him. I did bring him a plate of food but no shrimp salad.

Save    
sushipup1

Here's a different salad with shrimp that was in the paper today (I hope it's not behind the paywall). Dressing is 'combo of 1000 Island and Italian' from what I can tell.

Milan salad

https://www.inquirer.com/food/jimmys-milan-salad-dressing-shrimp-bacon-philadelphia-restaurants-20190710.html

Save    
sushipup1

Just in case:

The
Milan salad’s origin is hazy, perhaps a riff on one that’s been on the
menu for decades at Peter Luger Steak House in Brooklyn, or a take on a
house specialty at Jimmy Neff’s in Center City, a long-ago coffee shop
where the Kimmel Center now stands.

No
matter. The salad found its groove and its name in the 1950s at Jimmy’s
Milan, the erstwhile supper club at 39 S. 19th St., where Smiths is
now.

Nearly
a quarter-century after Jimmy’s Milan closed, the salad lives on. You
can find it, with some modifications and under different names, at
random restaurants: both locations of Cotoletta, in Bala Cynwyd and
Fitler Square; Bridget’s Steakhouse in Ambler; Teca in West Chester and
Newtown Square; Villa di Roma in South Philadelphia; and D’Angelo’s in
Rittenhouse Square, where Jimmy’s Milan chef Tony D’Angelo still makes
it.

The
Milan is unapologetically retro. Think of it as a deconstructed BLT
with shrimp. It starts with iceberg lettuce that’s tossed liberally with
a dressing that’s a little bit Thousand Island and a little bit
Italian, with perhaps a touch of Worcestershire. (Please don’t ask for
dressing on the side.) On top are chunks of tomato, pieces of bacon,
rough-cut hard-cooked egg, and peeled shrimp.

Save    
Andie

Ravencajun, what brand is the Greek Dill yogurt dressing? I used to buy a German brand, but can no longer find it.

https://www.kuehne-international.com/dressing/yoghurt-dill-dressing

Save    
Elmer J Fudd

sushipup, the Milan salad sounds great and reminds me of how much I used to enjoy regular visits to Philadelphia because, in part, of its vibrant restaurant scene. Not just the upscale places but all the great BYOs too.

I note that neither the Milan salad nor Ina Garten's shrimp salad recipe (which also sounds great) nor the other one linked include a dairy ingredient. Including dairy with fish must be a Southern thing?

Save    
PRO
Anglophilia

I had a bag of cooked, frozen shrimp in my freezer and on Monday night, I fixed the shrimp. I used a NYTimes recipe that is actually a New Orleans recipe. It's called barbecued shrimp, and is rather misnamed as it includes neither a grill or barbecue sauce!!

Put about 4-6 Tbs butter in a skillet. Add garlic to taste. Add about 2-4 Tbs Worcestershire sauce. Add shrimp. All of this is done quickly at a high heat.

Since my shrimp were already cooked, I put them in still with a few ice crystals in them so they would not over-cook. I cooked them about 2-3 minutes per side. I then added a drizzle of lemon juice and salt and pepper.

I poured the entire mess over a crusty roll that had been warmed and buttered and had the best sandwich I've ever eaten in my life. Yes, it's messy as all get out - a bib is required and a lot of napkins! But on my, that flavor. So simple and easy and quick and full of flavor.

I think in New Orleans they serve this is a bowl with the shell and heads still on the shrimp. My shrimp were headless and had been shelled except for the tails. I removed them prior to cooking. If served in a bowl, be sure you have plenty of sauce to dunk a crusty roll or bread into.

I'm having the rest of the shrimp tonight. Doing the "bowl" version this time as no crusty rolls at my market (I was late!), only french bread which I will heat, split and butter.

Save    
ravencajun Zone 8b TX

It's in the refrigerator section with the salads.

Opa feta dill.

Save    
Andie

Thank you! I'll keep an eye out for it.

Save    
marilyn_c

There was a restaurant here that was well known for their barbecued crabs, but it was destroyed by a hurricane in 1983. They guarded the recipe....which was very simple. The owner, a good friend of my husband, shared the recipe with him. It was Italian dressing and Tony Chachere's creole seasoning, and minced garlic. You put them on the grill and baste with that. I prefer doing big shrimp that way. Split them down the back, leaving shell on so they don't dry out, but remove the vein, and baste...on the grill.

I miss fresh shrimp. There were 2 spills in the bay that have sadly affected the spring season, which ends July 15.

I make shrimp salad with a Louie type dressing, that I make myself.

Save    
FlamingO in AR

Sounds delicious, thanks Raven.

Almost every shrimp dish I like has dairy in it. Shrimp Alfredo. Shrimp scampi. Geeze, I’m hungry.

Save    
Elmer J Fudd

Sorry for not being more clear, for me there's no flavor clash with butter. It's not creamy in a dairy sense, more like flavored oil and it obviously goes great with many fish and seafood types. I'd stop short of shrimp alfredo, though, that has cheese. OF course enjoy what you like.

Try grilling or sauteing shrimp - both very good.

Save    

Related Stories

Life Beyond the Book Club: 10 Creative Groups to Start With Friends
Let the good times roll while you enjoy shared interests like wine tasting, preserving, crafting and cooking
Full Story
Simple Pleasures Simple Pleasures: Get a Book Club Going
Kick back with friends and a thought-provoking read for an event that’s entertaining and educational all at once
Full Story
Homes Around the World Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner: The Rise of Supper Clubs
Would you invite strangers into your home for a meal? We visit cooks in London, Rome and Stockholm who are doing this and we get the story
Full Story
Community 9 Non-Awkward Ways to Meet Your Neighbors
Get tips on how to finally connect with the people nearby, whether you’re an introvert or a social butterfly
Full Story
Gardening 101 How to Grow Basil
Bright color, quick growth and endless uses for cooking make this summer annual a winner in the garden or a pot
Full Story
Gardening 101 Get on a Composting Kick (Hello, Free Fertilizer!)
Quit shelling out for pricey substitutes that aren’t even as good. Here’s how to give your soil the best while lightening your trash load
Full Story
Lawn Alternatives The Case for Losing the Traditional Lawn
Work less, help the environment and foster connections by just saying no to typical turf
Full Story
Design for Good 15 Ways to Make Your Neighborhood Better
Does your community lack ... well, a sense of community? Here's how to strengthen that neighborly spirit
Full Story
Travel by Design Houzz Travel Guide: Atlanta for Design Lovers
You'll find world-class museums, restaurants, hotels and shops in Georgia's woodsy, welcoming and charming capital
Full Story
New Construction of in ground gunite pools, renovation of existing pools, full retail store, and service on all... Read More