SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lglossner

Lakehouse Reno...Need help with exterior design...please!

lglossner
4 years ago

We finally pulled the trigger to do a major Reno on our lakehouse. An addition is being added to the right side of the house (see sketch), along with new exterior siding, new windows, new deck and a new roof.

I like the idea of black windows but my husband isn't sure about it. He's afraid the house will

"stick-out" too much with the contrast.

Both neighbor's have white homes, so we know that we don't want white.

We are open to all suggestions...

colors, type/style of siding, stone accent, all new windows (size/shape/color)

ETC.

Thanks to all!!

Comments (21)

• rinked
    4 years ago

Stone, wood and charcoal are good companions! :)

And that new roofline could be enhanced by rustic materials on a somewhat contemporary styled exterior.

Buzzards Bay New Home · More Info

Hathaway Point Lake Cottage · More Info

Vermont Lake House · More Info

Rustic Exterior · More Info

Martis CAmp Lot 584 · More Info

Lodge Trail · More Info

Contemporary Retreat · More Info

What's your style? What type of house would you desire to grow old in?

• lglossner
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks for your comments...you mentioned charcoal and wood...did you mean the main color of the house in charcoal or an accent color?
    Your thoughts on the new roof line and adding some rustic touches?
    As for the windows...large slider in the center with each side having large windows. Not sure of the upper level.

• rinked
    4 years ago

I meant charcoal/grey windows (yes accent) and wooden siding, maybe some stone :)

And I'm no architect, but I'd copy the window lines vertically and have a wide view onto the lake on both floors. Use HR++ uv-reflecting glass. Insulation and glazing are expensive, but well worth it in the end! I just love the look of these houses, a bit rustic, a bit Frank Lloyd Wright, a bit industrial.

But what would YOU like?

Donner Lake, Mountain Modern Home · More Info

Green Mountain Getaway - Guest House · More Info

Martis Camp 458 · More Info

Lake Washington Waterfront Home · More Info

Bret Ranch Residence · More Info

Eagle Crest Residence · More Info

• gustaviatex
    4 years ago

Maria Killam wrote a blog post today about modern houses in the woods. You might get some ideas from it. A Nature Inspired Exterior. She shows some options with paint colors and talks about window colors as well.

• lglossner
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks for the article info. All of this is so helpful!

• M T
    4 years ago

I think a blue lake house with white windows and some stone detail would be beautiful and timeless!

• decoenthusiaste
    4 years ago

Charcoal with cedar or redwood.

Stealth · More Info

Taylor Creek Ranch · More Info

Orca Drive Waterfront, Camano Island WA · More Info

Millcreek House · More Info

• lglossner
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I was playing around with our lakehouse and came up with this idea...shingles on upper with board and batten on lower with black windows. I realize it’s not a great “sketch” but it gives you an idea. I’m still open to other ideas! Thanks.

• lglossner
    Original Author
    4 years ago

*This is what our house looks like now before we add the addition.

• jck910
    4 years ago

I like the shingle & stone I would skip the board & batten makes it too bust IMO

• lglossner
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks for your comment. I’m not sure of the color(s) yet but I thought mixing the textures was a good option.

• houssaon
    4 years ago

Sorry, lglossner , but your sketch is way too symetrical and too many materials.

I would stay true to the original design and keep the existing siding. Why waste money and add to the landfill? Same goes for the brick; no reason to replace with stone which is now a days is usually faux.

Houzz has some great examples of lakehouses for inspiration. Put the ones you like in a Houzz ideabook with notes why and what you like or don't like. You can check out the ones I put together for myself. The point is, that these ideas you collect will be very helpful when you are working with an architect or designer. (I would not wing this without professional help.) Start with what speaks to you.

Whole Home Project · More Info

This color would work with your brick.

Sycamore Arcadia Model · More Info

Rocky Shore · More Info

• lglossner
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hi houssaon...I appreciate your comment...we have to replace the existing wood board and batten siding...it’s rotting.
    We are also replacing very old windows, deck and roof, along with the new addition. We thought we would replace the brick with stone since our lakehouse is in the mountains.
    Also, what do you suggest in regard to the window placement since you think that it’s too symmetrical?

• rinked
    4 years ago

Which windows will be in what rooms?

Don't stack different types of siding like that. :) Have you consulted a designer yet? Will you keep the balcony?

• lglossner
    Original Author
    4 years ago

The upper trapezoid windows will be in the family room and kitchen (vaulted ceiling) and the upper center window is a bedroom.
    The middle level consists of 2 sliders and a large window in the center which are all on the main living area.
    The lower level is the rec room and a bedroom (right side).
    I am wondering if having shingles and board and batten are too much? If both textures are used, they would be the same color. The upper balcony will be gone and the middle level will have a deck the entire width of the house.
    I hope I answered your questions. Thanks!

• lglossner
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Existing house/sketch with addition

• rinked
    4 years ago

And your addition will be mainly bedrooms? Any rooms moved?

• lglossner
    Original Author
    4 years ago

This “sketch” really gives us a good idea of what our house could look like. Now we just need to figure out what finishes would be best.
    The upper center window is a bedroom so we might have to modify it a bit.
    Thanks so much.

• lglossner
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Also, we definitely would like to set the new addition (right side) back 2 feet. That will give it some much needed dimension.

• rinked
    4 years ago

I'd love a huge window looking onto a lake in my bedroom! :)