SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
clarrington

Need help with (coastal) fireplace remodel

clarrington
4 years ago

I am not a fan of our fireplace but I don't know quite what to do about it. I think the raised hearth seat is too high and too deep--although I don't really know the ideal dimensions for a raised hearth. I also really dislike the mantel and corbels as I don't think they go with our newish coastal home. I don't mind the limestone but I am willing to consider other options.

The fireplace has a gas line. When we finish redoing the fireplace, I plan to remove the metal curtain, add fire glass in the bottom, and add gas logs that have a driftwood look since we are on the coast.

At the very least I will change out the mantel to a plain thick one that sits a bit lower and extends maybe 3" wider on each side and wraps around the stone towards the wall. Probably one without corbels. Also, at this point, I don't plan on making any changes above the mantel.

I've look at a lot of pictures on Houzz but haven't found anything I'm 100% on yet. I've also never remodeled a fireplace so I'm a bit stumped and would really appreciate the help!

Comments (12)