SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dirty_gardener

Moving to Mexico!

dirtygardener
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Well, at least that is my plan. I'm one of those people who lost everything in the recession (which was really a depression), and I've been struggling for way too long. I'm tired of just having enough to pay bills and never been able to enjoy life, so I'm moving to somewhere much cheaper.

It may sound drastic, but if I stay here in the states, rents are just going to go higher, and my income isn't going to be able to keep up. Plus, I'm getting older and can't work as hard as I could ten years ago when all this happened. I've tried to dig myself out of this hole, but I never have been able to. I still don't own a car, which restricts where I can live and what I can do, especially in these scalding hot Florida summers.

I just have no real quality of life anymore. I moved to this city because of the gardening community and bus lines, but all of that turned out not to be what I thought it would be, so there is no reason to stay here. If I'm just going to be alone, struggling to survive, I might as well do it in a country with a great transportation system and lots of friendly people with so much history and so much to do right around you.

I've been looking at places to live cheaply in Mexico for about 2 years now, and am torn between paying a bit more to live in a small beach community where it's hot all year long, or moving into the mountains where it's cooler and cheaper. I'm leaning toward the mountains, with occasional vacations to the beach. I surely cannot afford vacations to the beach here, not even weekends!

Do you know anyone who has moved to or retired in Mexico? If so, do they like it? I know some Americans cannot adapt to the Mexican way of life, but I'm really a laid-back person, so I don't think it will be too hard. I studied Spanish in HS, and am brushing up on that, while learning more conversational Spanish through the internet and a program I purchased online. Spanish is soooo much easier than English. It has pretty set rules, which are only occasionally changed when using words derived from other languages. It's really a pretty language. I like it.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
More Discussions