SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tomatoz1

2019 Iris Swap?

tomatoz1
4 years ago

My long post about an iris swap is now somewhere in space.

I would like to host an iris swap at our church/patio in Lakewood that has lots of shade, tables, chairs, etc. The only drawback is that the only available day in Saturday, August 3 because of their other activities.

If anyone would like to host at another place and date, I would be up for that, too. I have so many iris share.

Comments (159)

• gardenchloe
    4 years ago

Wow. That's so pretty. I'm glad I got some!!

• DeZi Lo
    4 years ago

mmmm12 for tips on growing clumps, you can do groups of 3 with the heals facing outward (the cut part toward the center). You can also use a bulb food 4-10-10 or 10-10-10. For the hill I used the one below. The rhizomes that already flowered will not flower again, but they will produce "babies."

• Related Discussions

wanted: snake head iris or widow iris at w-s or hp swap

Q

Comments (1)
    Hey Judy, Did you ever find these? I noticed some of the snake heads on the Brecks site, so not sure what kind of quality they'd be, but they only ship in the fall.
    ...See More

Spring 2019 Raleigh Swap, special side-trade list

Q

Comments (987)
    According to this interesting video about Arundo propagation, rooting takes place at nodes, so internode cuttings are actually good propagation material. This suggests that if a stem is severed at ground level, without any roots, it is likely to end up being cut above the root node and the next higher node may be above ground when such a stem is planted vertically. In such a case a spurt of growth from the stem's remaining reserves could occur but it would not be followed by root formation and the stem would die off. Those stems that survive would be likely cut deep enough to preserve enough of the root node to be able to form new roots. So to obtain more successful propagation of Arundo, two paths could be followed: 1, deeper digs and divisions containing larger chunks of tubers with roots and rooting nodes; 2, stem cuttings with exposed nodes laid flat on the rooting medium, like in the video. The stems that we received at the swap seem to fall in the crack of not having enough roots to be bona fide divisions on one side, and not having a buried internode to be able to root as cuttings on the other side.
    ...See More

San Antonio Spring 2019 Plant Swap, April 13

Q

Comments (106)
    Ok plant swap nutters, FYI, mike asked the ICSA (Islamic center of San Antonio) On Fairhaven/Datapoint of wurzbach if any future plant swaps could be held there. They gave permission to use the picnic area tables and benches that are under some trees but no pavilion incase of rain storm however people can use the school cafeteria for the swap if the weather is bad. There is also bathroom facilities in the cafeteria. The cafeteria is a singular mobile home type building which is next to the picnic area with ample parking spots. There is no fee and usually there is no school activities going on Saturday between 9am and 12noon. We just have to make sure the place is left clean after the swap. Mike will take some pictures of the place and we will post it here if people decide to take the offer.
    ...See More

Raleigh Swap 2019, Gail's Irises

Q

Comments (5)
    No, Judy, it's not. Larry's white iris has bright yellow patch (signal) at the top of the fall. Sabj, I can bring you one of the white.
    ...See More
  • popmama (Colorado, USDA z5)
    4 years ago

To be fair, I only labeled mine as Metaphor as that is what it was labeled when I got it at the 2017 swap. For the most part, the one I have does seem to fit the description on iris.org. It's peachy-pink self (standards and falls are the same color) and it has soft coral red beard. The place it does not fit with the description is the "unripe canteloupe shoulders". I don't recall it having noticeably different shoulders. But it could be lighting or sighting or it's not really Metaphor.

I can't find any sellers that have it to do more comparisons.

Mmmmmmmmm12, the first photo of the ones you like from the hill does match what I have labeled as Metaphor. I do know I received it from the 2017 swap.

• mmmm12COzone5
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Tomatoz,

Any pictures of Lois Ranier and Happenstance?

Also Spirit of Memphis?

4 years ago

According to the interwebs, Hemstitched is a rebloomer.

All I know is that it's a real looker. Here it is with overcast sky which brings out its coloring.

4 years ago

In the iris database, Sugar Blues is described as a Wisteria blue self with a white beard with tangerine in the throat. That doesn't seem to fit that picture above. That one has different standard/fall colors and what looks like a gold beard. It's pretty, for sure.

• mmmm12COzone5
    4 years ago

I only got one hemstitch.... :-( They are gorgeous!

4 years ago

Hemstitched multiplies very quickly. I wouldn't worry about only getting one. You'll have more soon enough! If yours fails completely, I'm sure one of us can give you a replacement next year.

• DeZi Lo
    4 years ago

I had a great time at the swap. Thank you Tomatoz for hosting. The location was perfect. Thank you everyone for bringing so much to share. This will be my 3rd time to try and grow some fire spinner, they sadly drowned this past year.

• mmmm12COzone5
    4 years ago

llgarden,

Do you have pictures of your pallida?

• tomatoz1
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Lois Ranier - the light make it look pinker than peach. I can’t find a picture of Happenstance that is labeled.

• tomatoz1
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Sugar Blues came from Brecks about 4-5 years ago. A friend and I shared the order. Sadly she did not take care of her plants so I have nothing to compare mine with.

• mmmm12COzone5
    4 years ago

Tomatoz, I'm printing out the pictures of the ones you have in your yard as colors area all over the place on the Internet. Do you have Happenstance pics and Spirit of Memphis? Thanks!

• llgarden
    4 years ago

also iris that is listed in thread as coloradoan is not it

this is coloradoan

an (iris from in Boulder is the source)

https://garden.org/plants/view/73686/Tall-Bearded-Iris-Iris-Coloradoan/

• llgarden
    4 years ago

all mine have id's except 1-2 till last yer, I have 4 misery but they are Iris Bob breeding, will be easy to id

this is only noid's

that have labels missing or were mislabeled

white bearded true fusia, it's medium height, on low side of the tall bearded. also has slight variegation to the leaves ...

lighter colored noid, more classic form, older variety for sure next to pallida to show the size in favorable conditions this is as tall as pallida, almost

• tomatoz1
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I believe this is Happenstance.

This is the Lois Ranier with more peachy color.

• mmmm12COzone5
    4 years ago

I got the white rebloomers from DeziLo. Thanks DeziLo! Do they have a fragrance also?

Does anyone know if there were any other proven rebloomers for Colorado (ones that you have seen rebloom) at the swap? I'm trying to plan where to put things and want to know which ones will show up again in the fall.

Thanks to everyone for so many gorgeous ones!

Tomatoz, thanks for the additional pictures!

• DeZi Lo
    4 years ago

mmmm12 If I grabbed the right ones they should have the slight grape soda scent. In the 2017 swap, someone brought a midnight fragrance. Maybe that will be an good one for you in the future.

• DeZi Lo
    4 years ago

llgarden, I didn't see anything labeled Coloradan in this thread however, hopefully in future swap I will have some to share. I just bought it a couple weeks ago.

• llgarden
    4 years ago

I think I looked in this thread

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/5682899/2019-iris-pictures#n=65

coloradan there looks red self iris.

• llgarden
    4 years ago

Mine are very pronounced grape scent, strongest from all my fancy scented ones.

4 years ago

I agree that "Coloradan" posted in the other thread does not look like Coloradoan. I'm not sure if mstywoods got it at the last iris swap or not. If so, it might be Red At Night.

llgarden, are you offering any of the iris you have posted above?

• Faith
    4 years ago

Thanks for your kind words everyone, I’m on the mend. I’m not looking to fill in a big space, just for some variety. Aloha, let’s touch base next week after you’ve done your planting and I’ll snag a few if you have any left. Otherwise I’ll just wait till the fall swap! It’s been so hot that my gardens have been quite neglected.

• llgarden
    4 years ago

popmama have 2 clumps of pallida dug out

• llgarden
    4 years ago

mmmm12COzone5 thtat one above you are asking about, pink one is looking a lot like Beverly sills it's offspring line. if it has some rubbery feel to it.

I thought mine was in 'love again', but it's 'embrace me'

they all are pink with pink or darker pink beards

shape of the iris from the hill you were asking about is in more modern lines, so that one looks like an offspring of beverly sills. many of them i can tell apart by the scent, impossible to do in pictures, esp in our area with purple haze when any purple looks like blue and not purple color pallet.

• llgarden
    4 years ago

on Metaphor I got someone cut off all the roots, hopefully that plant will recover. Did anyone have experience nursing back an iris like that with all the roots being cut off for some reason?

Does anyone have bright ruffled yellow from the hill they are not going to be using/have extra?

• mmmm12COzone5
    4 years ago

We have a plan for all the beautiful Iris we got! I was a bit intimidated with the number of plants but after splitting them with my neighbor (who says thank you for all the gorgeous variety) and getting the left overs to llgarden we are down to a manageable number. Are people planting them now?

Llgarden, thanks for all the farm fresh eggs yesterday. I had two this morning for breakfast and they were delicious! I think I am going to put in the hosta you showed me that was the far left (upper) one on your bed with the big white flowers. Do you know the name so I can look for it?

We're going to pull out the bush that you said was some type of berry bush (don't remember the name) for the fall swap. Let me know if you want it. Will do it sometime after the iris get put in so closer to that time frame.

• mmmm12COzone5
    4 years ago

Were going to be pulling our current iris to replace with the white rebloomers. They are this clump which is white with a purple undertone.

And this clump which contains the white with purple undertone on the right and a white with yellow undertone on the left. Unfortunately this one will be hard to tell which is which since they are both growing together. We got them from a curbside giveaway so don't know the names.

4 years ago

If the rhizome has no roots, plant it anyway. Use a rock or a landscape fabric pin to anchor the rhizome until it develops roots. It's likely that roots will reform on the rhizome. It's worth a try.

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    4 years ago

Just an FYI for all you Iris Folks!

Not only can you plant rhizomes with no roots on them, you can also plant pieces of rhizomes that have no roots AND no "eyes!" I pot up plants to take along with me for people on my trips and they, necessarily, need to be in small pots (my 8 oz styrofoam cup pots!) and when I cut the rhizomes down enough to get them into the little pots I sometimes have "left over" pieces of rhizome, so one time I decided to pot them too to see what would happen, and it obviously takes longer to get going than a piece of rhizome that already has a fan or an eye, but they do eventually form an eye and start growing a fan! Planting a piece of rhizome with an existing fan with no roots at all shouldn't be a problem. Just be sure it's "stabilized" enough that it doesn't constantly shift in the soil, which would mess big-time with roots forming! If necessary, cut the foliage almost all the way down!

Skybird

• llgarden
    4 years ago

it was currant crandell. colorado native. yellow flowers. I can park it in orchard, I have one companion to one of my apple trees like that.

• llgarden
    4 years ago

sum and substance plantain lily (hosta)

guacamole plantain lily (hosta)

both from lowes, they have them now

• mmmm12COzone5
    4 years ago

llgarden, thanks! I think it was the guacamole. Unfortunately when I looked them up it looks like they require more water than we provide.

• llgarden
    4 years ago

mmmm12COzone5 then I think you are due for a visit, will teach and show what I did with my soil and why I'm under full water conservation on acreage, I retain all water except flush flood when we have river rolling in storm ditches. everything else I do retain.

I changed my soil, so can you where you will have those hostas, and because your area is tiny I have that compost with nice abundant work force that does conserve your water. you can see how does my not irrigated area look like

• mstywoods
    4 years ago

About the Coloradan iris I posted about - I received this one from someone in my neighborhood, and that's what she called it. So guess she was mistaken, or one of us got the name mixed up. But I love it, even if it's a NOID now!

4 years ago

This is totally off topic, but Guacamole is one of the easiest to grow and bonus it is a fragrant hosta. Its blooms have a nice strong perfumy fragrance. In general, hostas don't require as much water as all the hype would lead you to believe. Of course, they will grow much larger with a generous water source. But without it, they will be just fine. What they do not like is strong afternoon sun. I grow many hostas on the North side of my house where they get no irrigation whatsoever. They survive on precipitation and the occasional hand watering. Most of my other hostas only get overspray from the lawn watering. A few of mine are on drip but that is only about 6. I have a collection of about 35 varieties.

I got Sum and Substance for only $3 at Lowe's last month.

• mmmm12COzone5
    4 years ago

Thanks for this info! We have a tree that is getting quite large and all the plants under it are sun loving. Good to know hostas can also survive with low water. We may replace some of our purple salvia with hostas. Not sure how the salvia will take that....as they like to grow and spread even if they don't flower like they used to when they were in full sun. Will they be thugs and crowd all else out? Hard to say.

• llgarden
    4 years ago

salvia and hoosta coexist. surprisingly. I have salvia stuck in different places similar like a ground cover would be. I stuck salvia in my iris bed among others.

and i had ola kala iris where I out hosta now... my only large tree got bigger.

now ola kala goes to the south side of the tree, I have 3 of those.

Does anyone have any yellow they will not be using? or maybe there is some on the hill that can be used? My neighbor is asking for yellow and that's the color I have little of, just one variety. I'm fixing that bit, just have not much to share in that color at all.

I'm going to plant some lavender on the hill

• llgarden
    4 years ago

it is possible mstywoods that that iris was growing next to coloradoan. if rhizomes are similar that's how it would happen.

• DeZi Lo
    4 years ago

Oh if anyone is interested in any Dwarf Iris (SDB) I can bring them to the Fall swap or meet-up on weekends. A lot of them will be no ids but they start blooming in mid April.

• mstywoods
    4 years ago

That's possible, ligarden! I don't know her personally, else I would ask. She had posted on Nextdoor app that she was giving away some irises, and I responded to take some. It sure is a pretty one! I might try to contact her and see if she knows what it is.

• llgarden
    4 years ago

added to the hill

whoever goes planting the dirt is hard. you will bend garden fork. get pick ax, then do fork then hori-hori knife. and grab buckets to get water from that lake. it's bone dry more than pitchfork deep. I did not have buckets, hope for rain the way i did it should catch the rain, some of it, to do it proper the dirt is way too hard, it will need to be done in the spring, mini terracing on that hill then it will start catching the water

• llgarden
    4 years ago

I redid one clump on top will get one rebloomer there later when I get mine separated, that all little bit took about hour dirt is that bad. I did not have the correct tool for the job, listed the tools I'd go with at that one. top is much softer, that side of the hill i went after is bad. very. hope someone would be able to water these some

• llgarden
    4 years ago

I have couple rocks where dwarf will be good/ or better mini-dwarf

• gardenchloe
    4 years ago

llgarden,

Thanks for planting more iris on the hill. My friends who live around that area really enjoy them.

Tomatoz1,

Do you mind posting a picture of Pretty Print here? I remember seeing one on your phone which is soooo pretty.

Thanks!

• tomatoz1
    Original Author
    4 years ago

the tag in front of the iris said Pretty Print, but I’m not sure it is accurate. So in my iris garden I will keep this short, early iris as Pretty Print.

• tomatoz1
    Original Author
    4 years ago

• aloha2009
    4 years ago

I sent Faith a personal message about the iris I had left over. I haven't heard back from her to know if she'd like any/all of what is left. She may be busy and/or out of town. I'm not sure how long the iris should sit around.

If anyone would like any of the remaining iris if she doesn't want them please personal message me. I have a bag each of white, light purple & white, Celebration Song and NOID.

• llgarden
    4 years ago

next in line for Celebration Song if it is not taken. and noid (what color?)