SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
salonva

too much sun- foyer windows TINT? SHADES? BLINDS? what to do

salonva
4 years ago

The front of our house has a southern exposure, and the 2 windows in our foyer (2 story) have a nice view, and generally I love the the sun.......

but this weather is just brutal and it heats up the 2nd floor with our bedroom. (we have central air, of course, and a good ceiling fan in our bedroom)....

The previous owners left honeycomb shades on all the windows including the 2 foyer windows.

The windows are too high to actually be able to physically raise the shades, so mostly they have been raised (as I LOVE the view and the openness) but when I had someone here with a giant ladder, to measure, I had them close the shades because the heat is killin' us!

I personally prefer Blinds to Shades. I like to see out and at times want privacy.

Anyway, I thought about tinting the window, and got 2 estimates which were identical ($500 as it's their minimum ).

I just don't know how it will color my view or how effective it is. I like light, but would love to reduce some of the 90 degree heat.

I stopped by a window/blind/shade place and asked about motorized blinds. They came and measure, and it will be $850. (They explained the need to build a scaffold??) and this will be one blind, with a remote so I can tilt the blinds (won't raise or lower just tilt the blinds which is what I want).

I am in shock over the price. I do have shades on the windows now, so it's not urgent ----but what would you do?

Comments (8)