SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
quasifish

Feeling sad about a dog and don't know why.

quasifish
4 years ago

I'm feeling really blue today and am not sure exactly why.

Yesterday when I was watering some plants in the front yard, I noticed a little dog sitting under a neighbor's tree. She looked very content and I remembered seeing her there, in that same place, about 8 months ago- she sat there for an hour or so (back then) and then left.

Yesterday she was there for a little longer, and at one point wandered over to our yard. I called her up to our entry way and she seemed a little uncertain, but sat on command and then rolled to show her belly. She wasn't clean, but not dirty either. Looked to have probably had a haircut not too long back. Teeth that I could see looked in nice shape, claws clipped, she was slender, but looked to have been having regular meals- her tummy looked good. She struck me as being someone's cared for pet though she wasn't wearing a collar.

I went to find a makeshift leash (haven't had a dog in 12 years) to figure out what to do with her, but in the few minutes I was gone, she went right back over to that tree and plunked herself down. Since she had been there in the past, and wasn't going near the street, I decided to leave her be since she seemed like she knew what she was doing.

Our neighbor came home (we have an awkward relationship with this neighbor, so don't interact much). They are dog people. I could see that they put the dog on a leash and one of their teen kids was playing with it. I don't know where the story goes from there. They may know who it belonged to and contacted them, or there's a possibility that they took her to the shelter- our local laws encourage (require?) that strays be turned over to animal control for a better chance at being reunited with family. She was so cute and sweet that even if she doesn't find her family, she will undoubtedly find a home.

Ever since interacting with her though, I keep getting really teary and feeling depressed and I don't know why. I think part of me really, really wants another dog- one like her, even though our dogs in the past have always been big dogs (I'm fighting myself watching the shelter site to see if she turns up there for adoption in a few days). Right now our lifestyle is more conducive to cats than to dogs- we are busy, have a lot of messes around the house (physically and psychologically), a cat who would not be happy, a yard that would need a little work to make more secure, etc. But I can't stop thinking about this dog and feeling really depressed. Why on earth am I feeling this way? And what do I do about it?

Thanks for listening. There's no one around here for me to talk to who understands and I know a lot of you are dog people and might understand.

Comments (22)

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional