Little Free Libraries - do you have one?
7 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (22)
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
Related Discussions
Little Free Libraries
Comments (12)How sweet. It wouldn't work around here, but I know it would work elsewhere, especially rural areas or small towns. I've stayed in vacation homes with libraries of paperbacks where you are invited to take one and asked to leave one that you have finished. It's interesting to see the range of material. I can walk to my local library, so that works for me! Another great source of free books is paperbackswap.com. You list the books you have and want to swap, and then someone will ask for it. You send it and get a credit for a book that you would like to read that someone else has offered. It isn't fast but it is fun. I think they do cd's and dvd's now too. Here is a link that might be useful: paperback swap...See MoreDo you have little free libraries in your town?
Comments (16)Little Free Library The project for little libraries has gone world wide! Great project. I have tons of books I want to get rid of I sure could fill up a lot of little libraries! I hosted a book swap at the garden club meeting here at my house. You could bring one or more and take one or more any left over were given to NAM for their book section in their store. It was a great success. I also really like bookcrossing.com Book Crossing You can put their label in the book (print it ) and then release the book into the wild and watch it as it moves from person to person. You can also go in search of books that have been released, like a treasure hunt....See MoreMounting Free Little Library
Comments (1)Hang the cabinet on the front like you would hang a cabinet on a wall....See MoreI want to make my room look like a library .Do you have any ideas
Comments (5)Random thoughts: - Do you have any library inspiration photographs? Personally, the first thing that comes to my mind is a Hogwarts library type look, but you may be thinking of something altogether different when you say "library". - Do you want it to be functional (meaning, lots of actual books) or are you going for a book-look /a book-vibe only? I personally no longer have a lot of books ... I'm a dedicated Kindle reader, and I love holding several thousand books in one hand. I've heard it said, Buying /collecting books is one hobby. Reading is a different hobby. - The room doesn't look all that big, and bookshelves on all the walls will shrink the room about a foot on each side. - If you're going with real bookshelves, consider whether your foundation can support the weight of the books. You might need to reinforce the flooring. I say that because I grew up in a house with a wide hallway /bookshelves on both sides, and my father did reinforce our floor. - I personally would consider closed cabinets under shelves (even though that's less library) because it'd allow you to hide kids' toys, board games, etc. - Would you consider book wallpaper? - I'm focusing on books, but do you want any other library functions? A table for reading or crafting? A card catalog? Throwing out a couple pictures myself ... I like this! Honestly, it's all about that great window, but you have a single window. The ladder is a must. So much for my Hogwarts idea. But I find this to be "too much" for a home. You need furniture. Consider building shelves around that single window /making it into a window seat. Magical! I like this for its color and for the closed storage underneath. I've seen instructions online for creating this type of thing from inexpensive Ikea shelving....See More- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years agolast modified: 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
Related Stories

COMMUNITYHouzz Call: Show Us Your Little Free Library
Mini book-swapping stations are taking the country by storm. We want to know all about yours
Full Story
COMMUNITYLittle Free Libraries Take Manhattan
Designers' modern mini libraries boost reading and community in New York City
Full Story
COMMUNITYHouzzers Share Their Little Free Libraries
Stewards of these book-sharing boxes get creative with their designs, placement, social media marketing and more
Full Story
LIFE'Not My Precious Books!' — Pain-Free Ways to Declutter Your Library
Have your books and neatness too, with these ideas for paring down and straightening up a beloved collection
Full Story
HOME OFFICESA Nice Little Desk Just Where You Want One
Do you have a desk area hiding in plain sight? These stylish work perches give rooms extra purpose
Full Story
LIFETry These Ideas for Free (and Almost-Free) Summer Fun
Celebrate summer flowers in jam jars, sip a garden-fresh cocktail, watch a meteor from your backyard and more
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGN12 Great Kitchen Styles — Which One’s for You?
Sometimes you can be surprised by the kitchen style that really calls to you. The proof is in the pictures
Full Story
DECLUTTERINGHow to Go Through a Deceased Loved One’s Belongings
A professional organizer offers sensitive and practical advice on sorting through a loved one’s things
Full Story
HOUSEPLANTSOne Pot, One Big Shot of the Tropics
Give your rooms exotic flair in a single stroke. Tall Kentia palm fits the tropical bill beautifully
Full Story
ROOM OF THE DAYRoom of the Day: A Place of One’s Own
This renter’s college graduation present was not what you might expect
Full Story
dedtired