I am doing a foot peel!

Debby

I'm on my feet for 8 hours a day. I've had calluses off and on over the years but nothing more. Until recently. Now I have several corns on each of my feet. Seems every time I look another one pops up. While they aren't "painful" I know they're there. A few days ago I decided to take matters into my own hands. For two full days, I thoroughly moisturized my feet with a good thick moisturizing cream twice a day. I massaged the cream in really well, then put more on, after soaking my feet for a few minutes in warm water. Then yesterday, I put my feet into these little foot bags that contain chemicals that over the next few days, will peel all the dead skin off my feet. That will leave just the corns. In another week or two, I'll tackle those with corn pads. Hopefully by the time I get rid of those, my feet will be baby soft again. I'm just not looking forward to how my feet will look in the next few days. Don't click on this link if you're easily grossed out:

What Foot Peels Do To Your Feet. Ew!

SaveComment18Like
Comments (18)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
daisychain01

Yup. That's gross. I'm wondering if you're on vacation for the next little while and, if not, are you not worried about standing on your feet for so long with all that new skin exposed? I started getting those painful cracks in my heels this fall (also on my feet for 8-10 hours a day). I started rubbing coconut oil into my feet several times a day and they completely healed up. Now I just put it on in the morning. I'm interested to hear how the peel goes and if it helps long term. Good luck!

Save    
OklaMoni

I did it once. I hated it. I will not do it again, I just use a pumice stone more often.

2 Likes Save    
marilyn_c

I can keep the dead skin under control...but I am anxious to hear how the corn goes away. I have one and the corn pads didn't do it for me. Maybe I stopped too soon. I am on my feet a lot too.

1 Like Save    
Debby

daisychain01, nope: I'll be back to work on Monday morning. The exposed skin will be healthy skin not an open wound on my feet.

My daughter has done the peels before, which is why I wanted to try one. I don't like the pumice stone because I find I take too much off and it's painful. Once I get my feet back to baby soft, I'll be using a good foot cream every day to keep them looking good. I don't have, and never have had, dry cracked heals. I'm lucky for that. Up until recently my feet always looked good. This getting old thing sucks! lol

Save    
Debby

Marilyn, the corn pads can take several weeks to get rid of them. I figure if I use the peel, it'll get rid of a good layer of dead skin to start, then the corn pads will get rid of the rest. I hope. I really hope...

1 Like Save    
whatsayyou18

Debby, I assume you wear good shoes and/or arch supports when you work. Ball massagers are also excellent for everyone but especially those who spend a lot of time on their feet. I'm a big believer in taking good care of our feet; they work hard!

2 Likes Save    
yeonassky

Ouch! And yuck! I'm on my feet a lot too but I do a lot of foot exercises. For some reason that has helped. I do end up with thick deposits of skin but I do the pumice and moisturizer and so far have held other problems at bay.

Good luck to you! Foot problems are a real Beast!

1 Like Save    
matthias_lang

Terrifying pictures! What are the chemicals? Sodium Hydroxide? (ahem, oven cleaner).

Save    
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

When I was in my twenties, the soles of my feet started burning and itching at night, often waking me up in torment. I learned that an application of lotion and the donning of loose cotton socks at bedtime helped enormously.

After that I soon discovered that Vicks not only did an amazing job at cooling and comforting my feet at night but has also turned the skin on my feet into something extremely soft, smooth and healthy.

I used to have a pumice stone handy, but no more.

Save    
sealavender

I did that once. It seemed like nothing was happening, then, a few days afterwards in yoga class, I noticed that the skin had started to peel off on my yoga mat. Ugh!

Save    
OutsidePlaying

I use Aveda’s Foot Relief religiously on my feet after every shower and have for many years. My feet are nice and soft as a result. I also get regular pedicures and she will use a scrub on my feet after the soak. I run often or walk when it’s hot so it’s important to me to not have my feet get in bad shape with callouses.

And ditto foot exercises! So good for your feet.

Save    
ravencajun Zone 8b TX

Yes vicks vapo rub liberally spread on the feet then put on cotton socks and wear to bed. This is from the very old timers. And it still works great.

Save    
maifleur01

Too late if you did it yesterday but you may find your feet peeling in areas you did not expect to have peeled like between your toes. Unless there is something to stop the peeling it can go deeper than intended. I do hope you have no problems but if you have cracks in your feet and they start bleeding it may be time to see the doctor as most foot peels have no control to direct how deeply the skin will peel off.

1 Like Save    
watchmelol

I have had calluses on various parts of my feet for most of my life do to the activities I have done. Never would I want baby soft feet. Calluses are nature's protection. I just use a pumice stone and scrubs to keep them from becoming too thick. It is only when they become too thick they can cause problems. But baby soft feet are nothing but an invitation to blisters. No thank you.

1 Like Save    
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

I appreciate your thoughts, warchme, but in my personal experience, healthy, well exercised feet clad in absorbent, breathable socks and well fitting footwear won't get blisters.

1 Like Save    
watchmelol

Fine for those who are not athletic Rhizo but calluses are simply a given for those who do many sports. People who use their hands get calluses, people who use their feet get calluses. As long as they are kept under control they are protection.

Save    
ratherbesewing

Baby Foot Peel has lots of pictures online (not for the faint of heart) during the peel process which can last a few days. I would only consider this treatment when my feet are fully covered and before summer.

Save    
Feathers11

I regularly use a callous shaver, which does the trick for me. I recently had to replace mine, and an Ulta employee pointed me to the foot peels. She swore by them and even removed her shoe in the middle of the store to show me! I may consider it in the future, but for now, my callous shaver works. It gives me some control over what I remove because, yes, callouses are protective and have a purpose. I'm a hiker/walker, and inevitably callouses come back.

1 Like Save    

Related Stories

The Polite House The Polite House: Do I Have to Display Decor Given to Me as a Gift?
Etiquette columnist Lizzie Post tackles the challenge of accepting and displaying home decor gifts from frequent visitors
Full Story
Holidays The Anti-To-Do List: 10 Things You Don’t Need to Be Doing
Aren’t you busy enough? Give yourself a break and consider letting these tasks go
Full Story
Most Popular Everything I Need to Know About Decorating I Learned from Downton Abbey
Mind your manors with these 10 decorating tips from the PBS series, returning on January 5
Full Story
The Polite House The Polite House: How Can I Tell a Construction Crew to Pipe Down?
If workers around your home are doing things that bother you, there’s a diplomatic way to approach them
Full Story
Housekeeping Using Houzz: Create a Home To-Do List
See how to use an ideabook to keep track of your home projects this year
Full Story
For Pros 8 Things Successful Architects and Designers Do
Good architects tell a story and engage the senses. They understand the rules — and know when to break them
Full Story
Furniture How to Restyle the Foot of Your Bed
Adorn your bed end with a petite table, stool, love seat or other pretty piece of functional decor
Full Story
At Bull Run Kitchen and Bath, we are dedicated to providing professional service and work hard to ensure that our... Read More