SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
waywardminer

Bertazzoni 30" pro dual fuel range - change my mind?

waywardminer
4 years ago

Planning a mostly diy kitchen facelift/upgrade, and currently agonizing over what I believe to be the single most important purchase decision in the project: the range. I am currently leaning towards the Bertazonni 30" pro dual fuel model for the following reasons, but am looking for any helpful comments or suggestions that might steer me towards the "right" range, whether this or something else:

Pros:

Pro-style with minimal electronics. I live in a pretty remote area and cannot really expect servicing for any appliances. Reliability is ideal, but in the event something does malfunction I'd like to be able to service it myself. I have replaced ignitors and even a mainboard on our current Kenmore range, and I am comfortable with that level of diy service.

19k BTU power burner. I like to cook with a wok, but that is currently limited to summer months outside on a propane turkey fryer. It would be nice to be able to do that year-round in my kitchen. I also like that the burners are not so powerful that I will need to make additional backsplash considerations.

Counter depth. Our kitchen is not huge. The near-flush 25-26" depth seems nice compared to other brands with 28-29" depth.

Dual fuel. We also bake a lot. Including bread and pizza at high temperatures. I think this is what has led to multiple replaced ignitors in the current gas oven, and I'm hoping an electric oven would reduce these issues. Gas and a bridged 220V circiut are currently present in the kitchen. Convection is also a big plus, but seems pretty common among the pro-style ranges.

Griddle accessory. Our current Kenmore range is the center-oval 5-burner style. We leave the continuous griddle grill in the center position always (instead of the continuous grate), and use it regularly for tortillas, pancakes, burgers, etc. However, the remaining 4 burners are over-crowded. A 4-burner stove with a removable griddle attachment seems like a good compromise.

Price. This range is on the high side for us, but definitely within budget since we are doing most of the total project work ourselves. $5000 is the definite limit for a range.

Style. It just looks nice. Clean, but with its own style in those knobs and the analog thermometer. The paint options are nice, too, but we are only leaning towards standard stainless.

Cons?

Very few reviews to be found on the post-2018 reboot Bertazzoni models. This seems like a big red flag, but I don't even know.

Exotic and potentially difficult to replace/service thermocouples in the stove burners. We have two young children in the house, so the safety feature seems nice, but it is difficult to find info on these.

Apparently no showrooms to see one of these in person within a 5 hour drive of us. This major purchase would be made entirely on internet descriptions/photos/limited reviews.

Other:

Soft-close oven door. Seems kind of gimmicky, but I could also see that being nice.

Food temperature probe. I won't be cooking any meat in this oven, so I can't really see an application. Precisely decarbing my baked cannabutter maybe?.. LOL

Comments (5)