SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ben_cook79

Tree Topping - Willow Tree - help!

Ben Cook
4 years ago

I have a question about tree topping - which I am confident you will tell me NOT to do! But I don't know what else can be done. I have a huge weeping willow tree that hangs over my swimming pool and patio and over my neighbors yard (who hates this tree because of the mess it makes in his yard.) I love the tree but it's just too much maintenance with the pool. I have to strain leaves, branches, etc. out of it 4 times a day, and I am continually sweeping off the patio so that the leaves that fall onto it don't END UP in my pool. The tree IS quite beautiful, and if it weren't for my pool, I would just put up with the maintenance. But it is just too much work with the pool. Even if I pruned the branches back considerably, it would still be a problem. I know this because I watch it as gusty winds blow, and most of the leaves float down from the very top where it is the windiest. Basically, it looks like it is snowing in my back yard, all summer long.... That said, about ten years ago, I had the very top cut off (about 20 feet) just to get a little summer sunshine in my back yard and on my pool. But within 3 years, multiple shoots grew back and got as tall as it was originally, but the shoots are small as opposed to the huge trunk that was there. This time I want to cut the tree down to about 2/5 of it's current size, in hopes that the ugly chopped off look that will surely be created, will be replaced swiftly with new growth and will hide that chopped look. And I am hoping that the new growth doesn't grow back into a massive trunk - just as it hasn't at the very top from the last time it was topped. My concern is though, that by taking so much of the tree off the top, that it could kill the tree. But it is my understanding and experience, that these trees are very resilient and hard to kill. In fact, I've been told, that even if it was lopped off right at the base, the tree would grow back unless the stump is ground up, and that even THEN, the roots go so deep that they likely would start new growth. Cutting the tree to the ground is not an option for me anyway - or for my yard, for that matter. I was told it would be extremely costly because the trunk is so massive at the base (which I can't afford right now), and that the tree was likely planted there because of the swampy nature of my lawn, (being at the base of a hill) and that if removed completely, I could likely end up with water in my basement. In other words, the tree was probably planted there purposely to soak up the swampy water like a sponge - which it has - and is why it has become so massive. As I stated, most Arborists despise tree topping and I know that it can kill a tree, but wanted to know if you had any specific knowledge of willow tree topping being less harmful than it is for other trees. (I'm hoping) I really don't have many options here short of filling in my swimming pool... Any advice would be appreciated...

Comments (15)