SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gillis95

Best type of light fixture w only 1 light in kitchen - & paint colors!

gillis95
4 years ago

We have a century farmhouse cottage that we are making some changes to. Besides an entire paint job from the prior owner - we are updating the light fixture. It's currently a 3 light modern chrome style that would hang over the kitchen table. I love the simple - not sure if it has an official name - but the plain "farmhouse" downlight, usually metal but would that be adequate for the single light in this room? Would anything w a solid shade be out of the question? or with a single bulb?

Any guidelines for size?

I like a lantern style, usually just small 'flame' type 60w bulbs, any guidelines for # of bulbs?

I like a traditional wrought iron curvy chandelier, again how many lights is "too much" some seems so big!

I don't want it too dark w only 1 light and I don't overkill w 6 or 8.

This is rural and in Canada so need to order sight unseen unless I take a chance at what Canadian Tire has on the shelves :)

I'm standing in the opposite corner. There is the little sink light and window and then another large window directly across from it to the left of the fridge.

I'm having design paralysis!

Paint colors? Countertops are the old off-white w yellow veining laminate. Will play up the pale yellow somewhere - just not the walls!

Comments (5)