SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
andy0000

Do I need a new roof ?

andy0000
4 years ago

Hi,

I have an 18 year old house in Boston area with original roof (asphalt shingle, "25" yr roof).

Recently had a small leak in attic, which turned out to be from a gasket that has shrunk on one of my vent pipes. Cost to fix this is small.

However, the roofer inspected the roof, and showed there is a lot of other damage (pics attached). The roof caps in general are in very bad condition, as well as the vents under the caps. There are at least two places were shingles are sliding, and there are random other issues (missing shingles, gashes, etc).

Some or most of this damage is probably due to ice dams three years ago, when I had roofers go up and try to clear (not smart, but we were in a bad situation and what is done is done).

Roofer suggests that at this age and what needs to be repaired, I should go with new roof. Given what I see, this is hard to argue with, but looking for opinions from those who know more than I do.

Options:

- fix the gasket and wait until I really need a new roof (this does not seem prudent)

- fix gasket and caps (which is where most of the issues are)

- new roof

- new roof with some portions in copper (to prevent roof dams)

I am going to get 2-3 more roofers to come in, but I see where this is going.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Comments (9)