SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vanessadawn86

Spider mites, leaf drop and repotting calamondin

vanessadawn86
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Hello longtime lurker first time poster. We have three citrus trees. We live in St. Isidore, Alberta Canada 2b. very far north. Plants outside in summer when weather permits and in front of our patio door supplemented with LED grow light on timer 3-630 am.

My meyer lemon we’ve had three years. gets Spider mites, use insecticidal soap. Loses its leaves, gets new leaves. Cycle and repeat haha

Our key lime had two years same battle with spider mites though it kept some leaves. It started off from record buck farms very lush but replanted lime and lemon in bigger pots and 511 mix last year. It must have had a air pocket around some of its roots lost 75% leaves and branch dieback. Used shishkabob stick to move around soil and fill pocket. Most new growth is pale had been fertilizing with miracle grow 24-8-16 and occasional epsom salts. Ordered foliage pro online and using for all three now. Not sure how to encourage more growth.

New calomondin got in february in Edmonton it is record buck farms. Looks great although they all recently got spider mites and are on the second week of insecticidal soap. Tried neem oil but can only get 100% small bottle from health food store hard to get stuff this far up north any other recommendations would be nice. Hesitant to repot doesn’t seem root bound yet but lots of leaves. current soil seems well draining should I use 511 and bare root like the other two? How many years until 511 should be changed on other two as well?

Enjoying the trees despite difficulties and wishing we had got calamondin first as it has done the best haha.

Any advice? Thanks for all the advice I’ve gotten from the forum already, you guys are great!

Trying to include pictures. Don’t mind our unfinished yard that’s another project on the go haha

Vanessa

Comments (7)