SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
katya917

Looking for a Perfect Ground Cover for Walking Path

katya917
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

What is a low growing ground cover that does well in Southern California (Zone 10B) and can be used around a flagstone path and in between flagstone pavers that we're planning on installing soon? Requirements: Can take full sun, tolerates a bit of foot traffic from young kids, forms dense mat/crowds out weeds, relatively fast spreading, evergreen, pest/disease resistant. I'm been looking into creeping thyme as an option but I'm concerned about the flowering season. I hear bees absolutely love thyme and I don't want my family and young child to potentially be stung by a bee. Also been looking into creeping jenny but am concerned that it will take over our small yard and choke out other perennial plantings. The overall feel of our garden is tropical (tropical hibiscus, Paraguay nightshade, giant birds of paradise, palms). Currently the ground is covered with a lot of weeds so there are probably tons of weed seeds in the soil so ideally I need a groundcover that won't let weeds thrive. The soil will be prepared for planting before planting anything (I know it looks super compacted in photos).

Comments (12)

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus