Floof- Bed Pillows, How Many Do You Use?

Lucille

When my bed is made up in the morning I have 5 bed pillows on the bed, 3 regular ones and two of those big square ones. But I only actually use 3, two softer ones for my head, and because I sleep on my side I often place the 3rd between my legs to keep my spine straight and help prevent back aches.

SaveComment30Like
Comments (30)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
catticusmockingbird

When the bed is made there are 5. Two sleeping pillows hidden behind 2 in shams, and one lumbar decorative in the front. We sleep with one pillow each.

Save     Thanked by Lucille
amylou321

I never make the bed. No point. SO sleeps in it at night and I sleep in it during the day. (Ok. I would not make the bed even if we both had the same schedule. It's not something I do.) We have 3 pillows. 2 for me, one for him. More often than not recently, I end up using his pillow and tossing my two off to the side. I need a new one.....

I have stacks of those little accent pillows that have come with bedding sets. To me they are such a waste. They just sit in a closet in one of the spare bedrooms until one of the dogs need a new pillow,and I toss one of the useless decorative pillows to them.

4 Likes Save     Thanked by Lucille
nicole___

I have 5 decorative pillows on the bed when it's made up, two under the sheets "and" one under each night stand we use for propping up a bad knee, sore ankle....

Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

There are 4 on the bed at bedtime. I use one, my husband uses one. The other two I occasionally use to build a sound proof wall when my husband is snoring. Doesn’t work. When the bed is made up, there are three more useless ones. They will go once we are done renovating the bedroom. There are also a couple of stuffed animals. Going to keep my Alf and my husband is going to keep the little teddy bear his grandma made when he was little.

2 Likes Save     Thanked by Lucille
morz8

Amy, has no one ever told you the bed inspector comes the minute you leave the house? That's what I always heard. Even knowing that, I may leave the bed unmade maybe once every 6 or so months.

6 pillows in use on our bed. DH uses two, one of which will usually end up on the floor during the night. I use 4. I nest. A feather bed topper and 4 pillows,

amylou321

Morz, the bed inspector needs to get a life. :-p

I don't even make the bed when I wash the comforter and sheet. I put the fitted sheet on, toss the clean comforter on top, and done. No top sheet, it just ends up on the floor at the foot of the bed anyway. I usually dont even straighten the comforter out. We will work all that out when we get underneath it. :OP

1 Like Save     Thanked by Lucille
DawnInCal

Three. One for hubby and two for me.

When hubby needs a new pillow, we buy two down pillows. I then open up the end seam on each, stuffing half of the down from one into the other and then sew the seam closed on the over stuffed pillow. The pillow that had half its stuffing removed gets tossed.

When we stay in a hotel with five or six sleeping pillows on the bed, I delight in making a nest out of all of them leaving one for hubby to sleep on. Since I'm going to claim all but one, I let him pick which one he wants to use. Works for us!

:-)

Elizabeth

4 pillows for me and DH to share. I am plauged with being told as a child, " A lady never leaves the house with her her bed unmade". Foolishness! But I make it every morning. Like a lady.

5 Likes Save     Thanked by Lucille
bpath Oh Sophie

3 if he makes the bed: bolster/body pillow across the headboard, two sleep pillows.

4 if I make the bed: a boudoir pillow that comes in handy when I do the crossword.

6 if I'm feeling decorative: a square and a small tapestry pillow.

Fun2BHere

Five decorative pillows and two sleeping pillows with another sleeping pillow stashed in the closet. I make the bed every morning because I love the way it looks when it is made and because I love the ritual of opening it up at night in preparation for slumber.

kathyg_in_mi

I'm sure that there truly is a "bed inspector"!

That is why I make my bed every single day. But if I don't make it in the morning, I make it before we go to bed! Just can't stand messy sheets!

Only 2 pillows, one for each of us!

3 Likes Save     Thanked by Lucille
maifleur01

I like to have where I sleep open to the air to remove any trapped moisture from my body. It is old fashion I know but keeping all those body odors wrapped up in a nice package has never seemed that sanitary to me unless you change your sheets several times a week.

nopartyghost

6 during the day. 4 regular & 2 decorative. At night 1 decorative is a snore barrier between me & DH. He uses 1 regular & I rotate my 2 for a cooling effect, during the night.

Rusty

Just one pillow for me. Husband also had one when he was alive. No decorative pillows, I don't need any extra 'stuff' to have to move around every night. Besides, I'm kind of like a couple of others here, I don't' make my bed. I want my bed to air out good during the day. Doesn't matter how clean you are, there's going to be some moisture and some body odor left behind in the sheets.

Rusty

patriciae_gw

Four pillows, three for me and one for DH. He has another for Sunday when we sit in bed and do a complex Cryptic crossword together. I have a sort of bolster pillow, the one I actually clutch and sleep on and one for my back. We have two comforters, one for each. When we went to Austria the first time I learned lots of Europeans have their own covers. How brilliant is that. No more fighting for cover. They fold each one up on each side of the bed during the day. The cats love the nice fluffy padding. Decorative pillows are excess to my needs.

yeonassky

Two regular pillows and 4 decorative pillows. There is room at the head of our bed for the decorative pillows.

I do not make the bed.

I hang the blankets on the footboard so the sheet and top sheet are exposed to the air. Apparently that keeps the dust mites down as they dry up when exposed to air. They suggest you have your sheets completely exposed to the air for at least 8 hours

We also shake out our sheets every night and then make the bed.

marilyn_c

Two pillows. One for him. One for me.

ravencajun Zone 8b TX

4 when the bed is made up after the cleaning ladies come. To sleep he puts away his sham pillow and keeps his one sleeping pillow. I put my sham pillow under my latex sleeping pillow. We have 2 dog bone pillows on the bed at all times. We use them under our neck to read. I hold one sometimes when I sleep.

Neck dogbone pillow, for humans not dogs!

Uptown Gal

LOL I couldn't go about my day with my bed unmade. My Grandma's worst insult for a neighbor who was lazy and sloppy looking, "she looks like

an unmade bed". LOL Then, to save herself from being called a gossip, she

would always say, "God forgive me."

Judy Good

Always three for me. Hubby sleeps on the couch most of the time since he worked swing shift for 36 years. I have to have one against my back, one on the other side and one for my head. Love my pillows. I usually straighten the covers when I wake up in the morning but no always.

functionthenlook

I make the bed every morning. Some bad habits are hard to break. 2 sleeping pillows, 5 decorative

OutsidePlaying

We each sleep with one, plus DH has a specialty pillow he uses between his knees since his hip replacement. When the bed is made there are also 3 euro pillows plus another large rectangular decorative pillow.

nickel_kg

One thick pillow for DH, one thin pillow for me. Plus a triangular foam wedge that I use when reading in bed in the evenings; it sits on the floor most of the time. I'm in the "air out the bedding, don't make your bed" club.

DawnInCal

Our bed was never made during my working days because hubby was still in it when I left in the house. Now that I'm retired, I make it every morning. I love the neat and tidy look and I think I would find it difficult to go back to an unmade bed.

gigirambles

I just counted; we have twelve! 6 decorative, three regular pillows for me, one wedge for my husband and two others - one of which is thrown on the floor every night. Our bed is made every morning - by The Husband usually. To be honest, I'm actually surprised that he adds the decorative pillows.

PKponder TX Z7B

I have to make my bed when I get up because the dogs sleep on it during the day. I keep a 'guard' sheet over the light blanket to minimize dog hair invading my bedding. It really doesn't work :-) Everything I own is covered in dog hair.

sprtphntc7a

4 total - all bed pillows. 2 for me - 2 for DH. no decorative ones, just got tired of putting them on the cedar chest at night and putting back in the morning....just an annoyance. stopped using deco pillows 2 years ago and could not be happier!!!

Jasdip

2----the two I sleep on and that's it.

For those who sleep alone, do you sleep on each side of the bed? I started doing this a few months ago. I sleep on one side 1 week, then the other side the following week. That way, the mattress gets worn evenly. Plus I then change the bedding every 2 weeks instead of every week when only half was used.

The bed gets made every day.

kathyg_in_mi

Jasdip, my 94 yo aunt has a king size bed and she too switches sides every week. I think it is a great idea.

PRO
Anglophilia

At one time, I had my bed full of pillows - a whole bunch of little antique linen/lace ones as well as the "usual". it took forever to take them all off each night and replace them each morning.

I gave that up several years ago. I have 5 pillows on my queen-sized bed - two regular ones on each side plus my boudoir pillow that goes with me EVERYWHERE - yes, when I travel or to the hospital - can't sleep without it.

I no longer put the two big European decorative shams on the bed in front of these unless I'm having company. Making the bed for me these days, means straightening the covers and folding them neatly at the top. I just can't breath well enough to do much more. At least it's not an unmade bed - that I could not abide.

Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Decorating Guides How Many Pillows Should You Have on Your Bed?
Rest assured: An expert breaks down the types of bedroom pillows to help you create your coziest bed ever
Full Story
Accessories How to Choose the Perfect Bed Pillow — and Sleep Better
Wake up saying 'Ahhhh' instead of 'Ow' with a pillow that provides all the support and comfort you need
Full Story
Accessories 9 Pointers for Perfectly Styled Pillows
If your bed is awash in an endless pillow sea, or your couch's bolster is deflated with loneliness, these guidelines are tailor made for you
Full Story