SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
salonva

floof- how do you hang em ?(towels) bar ? hook?

salonva
20 days ago

Yes, asking what you do with your towels- do you use a towel bar or hook?

and where do you have them.

Yes I need to figure it out.

DH always seems to prefer a towel bar and that's fine but we use the really really big bath sheets ( I think they are 35 by 70).

I prefer hooks.

I may put hooks by the tub and a bar by the shower.

Also I guess I should have something accessible to the sink in the vanity.

What do you have and what to you prefer?

Comments (62)

• yeonassky
    20 days ago

I'm one of those people who has a combo of them. Hooks rings and towel bars in every location; near shower bath and sinks.

DH likes hooks DS likes rings and I like the bars. But often I hang my towel on the shower rod. Maybe I'm unusual in doing that? We also pretty much only use our towels twice. I tend to flip the towels around to make sure they are dry before any stinkiness or messiness happens.

salonva thanked yeonassky
  • nicole___
    20 days ago
    last modified: 20 days ago

The master bath has a huge walk in shower with two shower heads....with hooks on either side. I hang the bath sheets on the hooks. Then there's a towel warmer sitting on the floor outside the shower. I have regular sized bath towels on towel bars for the jetted tub. A towel ring next to the vanity.

salonva thanked nicole___
  • Related Discussions

Towel hooks or towel bar?

Q

Comments (9)
    We're in AZ, so everything dries within 24 hrs or less. We always had bars and folded the towel long-ways in half and then over the bar. It was always dry by the next morning in this doubled manner. When we redid the old bathroom, I opted for a bar again for myself (because I also have a washcloth) and a hook for DH because he's not a very neat folder. His towel was still always dry by the next morning. I could see the mold potential, but if you get one of the big hooks that holds the towel out a little from the wall, I don't see how it would differ from the depth of a bar from the wall. In our new house, we're currently sharing one bar on limited wall space and I fully plan to switch DH to a hook again when we remodel. We also didn't have a hand towel bar when we moved in, so I just put up a removable plastic hook for the meantime. It's worked out very well (as DH ALWAYS removed the towel from the bar and didn't put it back) and I plan to hang both bathrooms' hand towels on hooks permanently as well!
    ...See More

Where do you hang/display your pretty kitchen towels?

Q

Comments (18)
    In the past I always hung my towels on the oven or refrigerator door. In this house though, the fridge and the oven are both quite a few steps from the sink. Tired of dripping water on the floor, my husband asked me to place towels closer to the sink area. I have a corner sink with a raised triangular ledge right above it that is the perfect spot for a towel stand. Since I had already placed a decorative lamp there, I wanted a towel stand that was both attractive and shorter than the lamp. I went on amazon and found a copper finish metal fingertip towel rack that was just the right height. Also, since my decor is french country, it complemented some copper pieces that I already had. The link below is for a different sized rack, but you can get the idea... Here is a link that might be useful: copper finish fingertip towel stand
    ...See More

How big are your bathroom towel bars and how did you dress them?

Q

Comments (25)
    The towels look good hanging on the hooks, but it might help to see the actual hooks you're using. Teacats, I love the pictures in your bathroom. This mornings Gordman's ad shows the pictures of the ladies in dresses. The bathroom we're redoing is the main bath for the house and it seems to be on the formal side. I never know how rooms are going to end up they just seem to evolve during the remodeling process. It's really fun to see all these beautiful bathrooms, though. I love seeing all the different design styles!
    ...See More

Where do you hang your dish towels?

Q

Comments (37)
    Mnerg, I hang towels on a simple long handle like Threebees, only it's a regular drawer handle that's even simpler and shorter (holds any kitchen towel folded in half lengthwise). It does NOT match my other, regular handles--but no one notices because of the towel hanging on it, and that's what I wanted to point out. The handle is the same metal as the others and has simple bent ends with no mass or detail to stick out and grab attention. BTW, I have two. One is also on my garbage pullout next to the sink. No matter how messy my hands are, it doesn't matter with a towel always there. But the other is on the inside of my island right where my hands get messy 95% of the time. When I think of the things I did right in this kitchen these little details always leap right out.
    ...See More
  • S M
    20 days ago

Bars next to sinks for hand towels, hooks by shower to hold our bath sheets and a hook inside shower across from shower head. DH insisted on a large towel bar for other bathroom for some reason and it’s a PITA for DD to hang her thick bath sheet on. She’s not home all the time, so in between visits I hang a couple standard bath towels on bar, but when she’s home from college that towel is always looking super sloppy. I have a couple extra hooks from when we built so I think I may have a weekend project in the works

salonva thanked S M
  • Jilly
    20 days ago
    last modified: 20 days ago

We have rings for hand towels and hooks for bath towels.

Rings: I like how they look and how the towels don’t move around as much during use.

Hooks: I like that they keep our towels drier and take up less space, as well as look neater.

When I had bars, I was constantly straightening towels. I related to the husband in ”Sleeping With The Enemy” — not his abusive, psychotic ways, but keeping towels hung straight and cans lined up facing forward.

I will never use towels bars again.

salonva thanked Jilly
  • porkandham
    20 days ago

I think towels dry faster/better when spread out on bars, but I don't like how that looks. We have hooks in all the bathrooms that we use and bars in the guest room with the towels hung neatly (folded) on them.

We keep folded hand towels on our vanities. The hall bath, which serves as our powder room, has a bar with bunches of vintage tea towels and a basket below. Some people are reluctant to use them, so I also have a stack of pretty paper towels in a basket.

salonva thanked porkandham
  • Ida Claire
    19 days ago

Bar for bath towels, rings for hand towels, and hook for robes.

salonva thanked Ida Claire
  • stiley
    19 days ago

I like hooks for bath towels and rings for hand towels. The kids will actually hang a towel back up on a hook. A towel bar seems to be too much work, and it would drive me crazy if the towels weren't on there neatly. I relate to Jilly. All cans facing forward!

salonva thanked stiley
  • Eileen
    19 days ago

We have double towel bars. We each have our own bathroom so we only need room for one towel but the double bar allows it to air-dry. For the vanity hand towel, I have the cutest 8" towel bar that matches the double towel bar. It's Ginger "London Terrace" and goes well with my Delta Cassidy faucet.

salonva thanked Eileen
  • Karenseb
    19 days ago

I love to hang towels on hooks. They dry plenty fast for me,

I also reuse towels more than once. How dirty can a towel be when I just came out of the shower? Certainly saves on water.

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    19 days ago

In the bathroom off the hallway, I use hooks for the hand towels. There is a shower in there but we don't use it so I don't have a need to hang bath towels in there. We bathe and shower in the en-suite; in there, there are towel racks. I store clean bath towels under the sink, folded.

salonva thanked mxk3 z5b_MI
  • Bunny
    19 days ago
    last modified: 19 days ago

I re-use bath towels way more than once, oh yes I do. They dry super fast and completely on a bar/rack. I do think that hooks look better, but I don't see how the thick fluffy towels can dry as well when they hang bunched from a single point.

salonva thanked Bunny
  • ShadyWillowFarm
    19 days ago

I prefer towel bars but dang I hate it when they are not all hung in perfect alignment.

salonva thanked ShadyWillowFarm
  • raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    19 days ago

In my small bath, I have 2 bars (upper and lower) on the wall next to the tub/shower, a bar next to the sink for the hand towel, and a hook on the back of the door (which, when open, is also within reach of the shower.)

I have my larger bath towel on the bar, and the smaller quick dry towel that I use for my hair is on the hook.

salonva thanked raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
  • Bunny
    19 days ago

Like yeonassky, I hang my bath towel on the glass shower door rod. It's a small en suite bathroom and I'm the only one who uses it. Function over form. It dries completely and never gets funky.

salonva thanked Bunny
  • catbuilder
    19 days ago

What's a floof?

Why do you care what someone else prefers? You already know what you prefer: hooks AND bars.

• John 9a
    19 days ago

I think your climate makes a big difference in how fast your towels will dry. Certainly your HVAC operation will also play a role but Arizona vs. Florida would make a big difference.

I am in eastern Texas and humidity control is a big issue and towels need to be spread out as much as possible to avoid a musty smell. I prefer bars to spread towels out as much as possible. A hook is a great addition for temporary placement of a bath towel near the shower.

salonva thanked John 9a
  • Judi
    19 days ago

Towel bar in the main bath. Ring for hand towel. Hook in the second bath. Ring for hand towel.

Much prefer the towel bar over the hook,

salonva thanked Judi
  • nekotish
    19 days ago

During Covid, I started buying paper hand towels for our main (guest) bathroom. I got a cute little holder for them and buya package or two for each season/occaision and I have since dispensed with hand towels in that bathroom.

salonva thanked nekotish
  • Lars
    19 days ago

In L.A., I have a double towel bar for towels and a hook for robes. I hang the bath towel on the shower curtain rod to dry after taking a bath or shower. I usually take baths in L.A.

In Cathedral City, I have two separate towel bars, but unfortunately they are not close enough to the shower door, and so I move one to the shower door handle before I take a shower. I wish now that I had a long horizontal door bar, but it's too late for that.

Often in Cathedral City, I get dry without using a towel because the humidity is so low - often only 5%. This makes it somewhat difficult when I want to shave.

In the kitchen in L.A. I have towel bars inside the cabinet doors under the sink. I never use the oven door handle as a towel rack, and I also hate seeing kitchen towels on oven doors, which seems to be the rule in England, but not Italy, at least not in modern Italian kitchens, which is my preferred style.

salonva thanked Lars
  • nhb22
    19 days ago
    last modified: 19 days ago

Hooks for over 20 years. In the last two home builds, we made sure that there was a HVAC vent near, under, or above the towel drying area. Also, my hooks are doubles armed to spread the towels out a bit. Never had a problem with mildew.

I put single hooks next to vanities in guest bathrooms for women to hang their make-up bags on.

We have standing towel stands or rings next to the sinks for hand towels.

salonva thanked nhb22
  • Judi
    19 days ago

In the kitchen in L.A. I have towel bars inside the cabinet doors under the sink.

Do you have to open the cabinet to grab a towel to dry your hands? That would drive me crazy.

I have hooks on either side of the window. One is for the hand towel, the other for the dish drying towel. It's a kitchen. It needs to work for me.

salonva thanked Judi
  • salonva
    Original Author
    19 days ago

I think it's probably half the people are convinced hooks offer better drying, and the other half is convinced bars do. I will definitely have a ring by the sink ( Vanity) but still figuring out about the bars. I was noticing the double hooks seem to make sense as well.

• nhb22
    18 days ago
    last modified: 18 days ago

We had a rental house during our build. The bathroom only had bars. After a few days of using the bars, and finding the backside of the towels damp the next day, I went out to the hardware store and purchased large S-Biners. I attached one end to the bar and the towel to the other. Towels dried in half the time!

Judi - I also hang a dish towel inside of my sink cabinet door. It's on a hook. I keep my unused dishtowels in a drawer. I use a paper towel to dry my hands. Although not as economical, I do think paper is more sanitary in a kitchen.

salonva thanked nhb22
  • bpath
    18 days ago

I wonder why some towels dry on bars and some don’t? Ours dry. Is it environment? indoor or outdoor?

salonva thanked bpath
  • Judi
    18 days ago

Ours dry and I live in a very humid environment. The majority of the time a/c or heat is running 24/7. Don't have a lot of days where neither is required, but even when we do the towels hung on bars still mange to dry.

salonva thanked Judi
  • S M
    18 days ago

^I don’t think it matters whether it’s a bar or hook, honestly, but whether the bathroom has good ventilation. Our towels happen to hang above floor vents in both bathrooms- on a bar in one and on hooks in other- and they all dry just fine.

salonva thanked S M
  • bpath
    18 days ago

DH’s towel is above a vent, mine is not. Of course, the vent isn’t blowing all the time (and I don’t think he appreciates in winter that it is sometimes nice and warm when he steps out lf the shower),

salonva thanked bpath
  • OutsidePlaying
    18 days ago

We prefer hooks for the bath sheets and have rings by the sinks. Our towel hooks are on a rack I found not long after we moved in our new build and we like it a lot. We can drape each towel over 2 hooks and I use the center hook for a shower cap I sometimes use. There is a small hook on the end where i hang my hair towel. And luckily it is almost above a vent. Never had a problem with towels being wet, even when I’ve taken a shower in the morning and another at night.

edited to add photo

salonva thanked OutsidePlaying
  • salonva
    Original Author
    18 days ago

Outside- that's a neat one. I hadn't considered that. Do you have a link or any more info for that? I guess off I go to check that out. I 'll probably end up with a combo of hooks, bars, and a ring but that might do well in the mix.

• OutsidePlaying
    18 days ago
    last modified: 17 days ago

@salonva, it is over 20 years old and I have never seen another like it. I think i ordered it from LL Bean. Perhaps you could have one made if you know a person who crafts items from iron. I can send you a better photo without the towels in the way if needed and the dimensions.

• pricklypearcactus
    17 days ago

I use towel bars and have never had hooks. It seems like bars would allow the towel to dry better, but I honestly don't know. I live in an arid mountain desert so in general towels well here, so either would probably work. I also prefer the look of towel bars since they appear neater to me. My only complaint with my current bathroom is the lack of towel (or hook) space near the shower so I have to grab my towel off the bar, drape it on the edge of the tub, so that it's near the shower when I get out. Oh well.

salonva thanked pricklypearcactus
  • carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    17 days ago

In re: bpath's question, I think there are a number of variables: thickness and fiber makeup of towels, ambient humidity, and air circulation, for example.

I've had all cotton quick dry towels for some years now, and they dry a lot faster than the thick kind we used to have.

There's no exhaust fan in our tiny (by today's standards) 1950s bathroom either.

salonva thanked carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
  • nhb22
    17 days ago

I think that the overall reason that I like the hooks better is because they are more convenient. I can hang a towel quicker on a hook. Drives me crazy folding sheets and towels because I want every corner to match up and have the end sections to the backside of the towel. Like I hang the hand towels( in 3 sections.) That's just my OCD.

salonva thanked nhb22
  • Bunny
    17 days ago

I think hanging a towel on a bar is the easiest thing to do. They just kinda drop into place. For some reason the cleaners like to refold my bath towels into thirds. Since they're thick and fluffy, it looks silly. It's not worth the trouble to tell them not to bother.

salonva thanked Bunny
  • salonva
    Original Author
    17 days ago

I always had bars, but agree that rings are just easier (but obviously not for a bath sheet).

I just googled and found a bunch at wayfair of the type outside has- I will have to look at them, not sure if they will work but still I 'm pleased to see options.

Towel Racks with hooks and then some.

• OutsidePlaying
    17 days ago
    last modified: 17 days ago

Wow! Never thought to look at Wayfair, but then I didn’t need to. I didn’t mention, but our shower is across from the towel rack and it is very convenient to open the glass door, step on the mat and reach for the towels.

• salonva
    Original Author
    17 days ago

I just googled "train rack towel bar with hooks" and wayfair came up along with a few others. I'm toing to have to measure and see as this could possiblly be right outside the shower as well, with a little can't think of the word but sort of a nook... could be wonderful or lousy. will have to look later when the contractor leaves.

• jsk
    16 days ago

As you know, we're starting our primary bath reno soon. I'm going to do small hooks at each sink for hand towel, and larger hooks at one end of the shower (away from water). Will use the double robe hooks for the bath towels I think to spread them a bit more for drying. Right now I use a hook for mine and DH uses a towel bar but he's fine using a hook in the new bath.

We have a ring in the hall bath for the hand towel and I do not like it at all. I find a hook is much easier.

salonva thanked jsk
  • Oakley
    16 days ago

We used to use towels two days in a row until it dawned on me they're filthy from all the skin cells and what not from drying off the day before.

Next to the shower is a white 5 tiered wrought iron stand where we keep folded towels. They don't get wet and no need to step out of the shower to grab one. Basket with shower stuff sits on top, wash cloths & hand towels share the second shelf.

One hook for our robes which we keep in the bedroom when finished.

Next to the sink is a towel bar and it's far enough from the wall to dry hand towels. If company is coming I put decorative napkins next to the sink. :)

The shelf below is similar to what I have, except mine doesn't have the rounded side bars & is solid iron. It's convenient, saves time putting away towels & getting one out, and it actually looks nice in a decorative way. Towels immediately go in the dirty clothes.

salonva thanked Oakley
  • J Mig
    16 days ago

We use hooks in all our bathrooms. I actually hang clothes and my bathrobe on some of them, so that I can re-wear an outfit that I’ve only worn once. Dear Hubby, of course, never re-wears his clothes. There are some really pretty hooks out there, but you have to look for them a bit. I would say I probably spent a significant amount of time finding hooks that matched the hardware in each bathroom.

salonva thanked J Mig
  • Tina Marie
    15 days ago

Oakley, I would think you are washing off the "filthy" instead of getting it on your towels. Using a washcloth or scrubby will help with the dead skin cells.

For some reason I do not like towel bars. We have a towel ring in each bath for a hand towel and hooks in the master bath for a fresh towel. We have a very large linen closet in our master bath and my husband fashioned some towel clips/hangers where we can hang towels flat. There is a vent in the closet which helps with drying.

I reuse my hair towel (yes, I have specific towels I like for hair). Wet towels go on a drying rack, never in clothes hampers.

salonva thanked Tina Marie
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    15 days ago
    last modified: 15 days ago

Salon,

Lots of people make railroad towel racks. I put one in DH's bathroom, fro RH IIRC...love the look.

They do protrude a lot from the wall so consider that.

salonva thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    15 days ago

I use quick-drying ribbed towels and if they are particularly damp, spread them over 2 hooks. To me, a bar traps the towel between the wall and the other side of itself, IYKWIM.

• Tina Marie
    15 days ago

Prickly, I meant to add this is my previous comment, but forgot. Do you have room outside your shower for a small stool to lay towels? A garden stool would work or in our guest bath I have an antique piano stool right beside the tub/shower. I have a "vanity" in that bathroom that my husband outfitted from an old chest. I keep towels and a piece of old lacy fabric on the piano stool.

salonva thanked Tina Marie
  • Bunny
    15 days ago
    last modified: 15 days ago

a bar traps the towel between the wall and the other side of itself

Not if the bar extends out from the wall far enough.

I don't use hooks, but it seems that the folds of the towel would inhibit drying.

If you think used bath towels are filthy from skin cells, have you considered what's going on in slept-in sheets?

salonva thanked Bunny
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    15 days ago

Not if the bar extends out from the wall far enough.

True, but IME, the standard ones do not, eps if you have thick towels.

the folds of the towel would inhibit drying.

Depends, like this entire discussion, on the weight and dampness of the towel, the atmospheric conditions, etc.

• salonva
    Original Author
    15 days ago

Mtn, yes thank you. I see now a full assortment of the train rack towel racks. When I first saw it suggested, I was more taken with it because it seems to be so practical. Now I'm not sure that I would use too much more than the actual towel bar... I do have a good spot for it outside of the shower that has a nook but currently thinking I might just go with a bar there and hooks elsewhere. Still evolving."

And for the record, we each use a separate towel for multiple days. To my way of thinking, when I come out of the shower or bath, I am clean. :) But to each his own and obviously what makes sense to one person is not universal.

• pricklypearcactus
    14 days ago

Tina Marie - That's an interesting idea. I'll have to ponder that. Right now we mosty grab towels off the rack and drape them on the edge of the tub near the shower. A stool might be nicer though.

• Oakley
    14 days ago
    last modified: 14 days ago

Sal, if you don't dry every part of your body then maybe you'll be clean. I don't want to be blunt but think about it. Even if you skip that area there will be lots of dead skin on your towel which helps exfolliate after bathing. Need I say more? lol

Bunny, when in bed I wear jammies and I don't rub the sheet everywhere on my body either. My head doesn't touch the sheets, it's mostly my feet. I change pillow cases several times a week.

This really isn't hard to figure out.

Sponsored
Cabido Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars33 Reviews
DC & Montgomery County's Best in Full Service, Custom Home Remodeling
Best of Houzz 2024: The results are in!